Running PP on portable drive

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ted

Running PP on portable drive

Post by ted »

I am running PP successfully on my PC (C-drive). I also want to run it on a portable USB drive. I've copied all the program files hierarchy to my external drive as well as the poppeeper.ini file containing all my email account data. I want to store my email data on a data folder on the external drive.
Using Tools > Options > Storage I see that the ini location is correctly set to my external drive. However the Data path is shown as being on my local (C:) hard drive. I've unsuccessfully attempted to change this path to point to my external drive but it continues to point to a location on C:. One of the problems is that the drive letter for my external drive will vary as I move the drive from one PC to another, so I'm not sure what drive letter to give.

How do I set my poppeeper.ini and the Data path so that PP will work as I move my external drive from one PC to another regardless of the external drive letter? I want the stored email data to always be in a data folder on my external drive and have no connection or reference at all to the local C: drive.
mjs

Re: Running PP on portable drive

Post by mjs »

To use Pop Peeper on a portable USB drive change the "Data path" to just "data" (or any folder-name of your choice, although "data" is preferred). Do NOT specify a full path-name like C:\POP Peeper\data\ for example. By specifying ONLY "data", PP will place it in C:\POP Peeper\data\ and you can then move the entire folder somewhere else and PP will still be able to successfully find it.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool is correct. But I also wanted to add that when you move the data folder to your usb drive, you're also going to be affecting your existing data on your PC. So what you may want to do is -- after moving the data to your usb drive -- *COPY* the contents of the "data" folder (on your usb) back to where it was on your PC, presumably:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
(note, the "data" folder itself should not be included in the copy, only the contents of the "data" folder)

Make sure that PP is not running when you copy data files.
ted

Post by ted »

Many thanks to both for your help. I have it working fine now.