Peeped Messages Remain After Downloading From Servers To Client

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Ardwych

Peeped Messages Remain After Downloading From Servers To Client

Post by Ardwych »

While continuing as a circumspect friend of PopPeeper for a considerable time, once again the program has tripped me up, this time by refusing to dismiss messages from my various email servers (external: my ISP, Hotmail, Yahoo, Gmail..) after I have retrieved them all into my email client, Outlook 2010.

My old Windows 7 profile slowed to a crawl (temporary internet files allocation stuck on 0 MB) so I created a new logon - standard user. After transferring all my files to my new profile and wrestling Outlook into co-operating with my old psts - and copying over PopPeeper's ini file from my old logon to my new, I expected PP would behave as reasonably as it had before. But now, after each 'peep' - preview of headers - and activating 'F9 Receive' on Outlook 2010, PP won't dismiss prior messages. Yes, even as POP accounts I have always left messages on their servers. The servers must know that I've taken them down to my client - because I never get duplicate messages - but PPeeper doesn't recognise that I have them.

My analysis defeats me: I see the message schema as this:
Server holding messages, unread, read, deleted, copied/downloaded
Client storing messages, unread, read, deleted
PopPeeper peeping in on server messages, unread, read, (marked to be) deleted, copied/downloaded, 'peepable'/displayable or not depending upon whether they have been retrieved by a full client (non-PP), or deleted from their server by PP, or not.

I thinking that with PP(Pro) now acting (tempo'rily or not) as an email client (compose, send, receive, read) that it might be interferring with its role as a header/message peeper.
Can anyone help me with my understanding of PP, and help me get my old ini file acting as it always has?
I expect it's simple, but it beats me.
Thx

[I tell a lie: peeping at my Yahoo accounts never dismissed previously retrieved messages; PP always displayed all my 6 million Yhoo messages...]
POP Peeper 5.0.0.0 - Webmail (5.0.1.0 - SSL 1.1.1.7 - IMAP 5.0.0.0 - Sendmail 4.5.2.0 - SpellingChecker n/a - Updater - 1.0.0.0 PPtweaker 5.0.0.0
mjs

Re: Peeped Messages Remain After Downloading From Servers To Client

Post by mjs »

Ardwych wrote: I thinking that with PP(Pro) now acting (tempo'rily or not) as an email client (compose, send, receive, read) that it might be interferring with its role as a header/message peeper.
I'm not sure I understand what you are asking, but let me say that POP Peeper will continue to display email messages as long as the messages remain on the Email Providers Server. You have mentioned MS Outlook 2010, this is also the case with MS Outlook.

Since you have mentioned MS Outlook, below is the Advanced Account settings in MS Outlook 2010 for a POP3 account in SCREENSHOT #1 where the settings for this Account is to keep messages on the Server until they are deleted (removed from Server). In SCREENSHOT #2 we have an Account using IMAP where messages remain until deleted by default. In SCREENSHOT #3 is the Advanced Account setting in POP Peeper where you will notice in this case POP Peeper will display messages until they are removed (deleted) from the Email Server. You just need to use these combinations of settings in a manner that gets the desired results you want.

SCREENSHOT #1 (click on to enlarge)
Outlook 2010 Advanced Account setting using POP3 example
Outlook 2010 Advanced Account setting using POP3 example
SCREENSHOT #2 (click on to enlarge)
Outlook 2010 Advanced Account setting using IMAP example
Outlook 2010 Advanced Account setting using IMAP example
SCREENSHOT #3
POP Peeper Advanced Account setting where messages will be removed if not on the Server
POP Peeper Advanced Account setting where messages will be removed if not on the Server
I am not sure if this is what you are asking about, hopefully this will help where there may have been some confusion regarding POP Peeper. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Ardwych

Post by Ardwych »

Thanks for your reply and graphics, lakrsrool. It seems that I should have made myself clearer regarding PP's behaviour of displaying retrieved messages over and over again.
I hoped
..now, after each 'peep' - preview of headers - and activating 'F9 Receive' on Outlook 2010, PP won't dismiss prior messages. Yes, even as POP accounts I have always left messages on their servers.
would do it.

BUT first, an admission. Following your reply, I checked the email accounts on my old login/profile, and I found that I had retrieved and removed them from my ISP server.
I had not ticked 'Leave a copy on the server'.
I have corrected that, and no longer does PPeeper repeat the display of messages I have taken care of from my ISP - standard POP accounts.

However, unlike previously, I continue to see message headers from, in particular, Gmail* - an IMAP service. PPer continues display retrieved messages.
Indeed, Outlook 2010 goes through extended retrieval processes - 60 seconds or so - just to fetch the latest g-mails.
That makes me think that rather than being a PP condition, it's a Gmail setting that needs fixing. I've changed nothing in my Gmail accounts themselves since creating this new login/profile, but... ¿You don't happen to know how to stop acted-upon Gmail messages from appearing ad-infinitum in PopPeeper, do you?
[*long ago I gave up on trying to stop Yahoo Mail from showing its thousands of messages in PPer.. ¿Is there a fix for that, too..?]

Thx.
POP Peeper 5.0.0.0 - Webmail (5.0.1.0 - SSL 1.1.1.7 - IMAP 5.0.0.0 - Sendmail 4.5.2.0 - SpellingChecker n/a - Updater - 1.0.0.0 PPtweaker 5.0.0.0
mjs

Post by mjs »

In Gmail you have various choices within "Settings" by clicking on the Gear in the right corner of the Gmail interface in your browser on the web and then select "Settings" from the drop-down list as illustrated in the screen-shot below.
Upper Right Corner of Gmail browser interface.
Upper Right Corner of Gmail browser interface.
Gear settings.png (9.46 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Then select the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab where you will find various settings depending upon what you want to do (click on screen-shot to enlarge).
Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP
Select Forwarding and POP/IMAP
You will notice if you are using IMAP there is an "Auto Expunge on" setting (which is the default so it's probably already set to this).

Again, the same thing applies as previously mentioned, which is that as long as a message has not been deleted from the Email Server it will continue to be displayed in the inbox for that account in both POP Peeper and MS Outlook 2010. Whether a message is deleted depends upon either your account settings and/or whether you manually delete the message(s) yourself.

There are also settings that can be applied in POP Peeper for example that modify how messages will be displayed in the POP Peeper inbox, for example:

1) Regarding deleted messages (in POP Peeper main menu under "Tools" > "Options"):
Select the "General" tab where you will see the "Delete mail immediately" option (if you don't see it then check [enable] "Advanced options" on the top-right and then the "Delete mail immediately" option will be available) which if checked [enabled] will do as described as opposed to getting deleted on the next mail check.

2) Regarding hiding messages (in POP Peeper main menu go to "Messages"):
There are 2 possible options in this drop-down list to consider as far as changing they way messages will be displayed in the POP Peeper inbox: "Hide read messages" and "Hide seen messages", of course if either one of those are checked [enabled] then you will get as described.

That said, I am not so sure these settings actually apply to what you are asking however. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that messages will always continue to display in the inbox of accounts for both POP Peeper and MS Outlook 2010 as long as the messages continue to reside on the Email Providers Server. If you do not want messages to display then you have the options to either delete the messages or if you do not want to delete them then move the messages to another "archive" folder other than the accounts inbox which in that case the messages will no longer be displayed in the inbox (and therefore the 1000's of messages you mentioned regarding Yahoo would be avoided for example :wink:).

Hope this helps and is what you are asking about. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but what method is your Outlook set to retrieve from the GMail account -- POP3 or IMAP? In general, POP3 is the easier method that will delete messages from the server (although, you have to change the "leave on server" setting as you know). Also, GMail does some abnormal things with POP3 so you may have to override the settings in your GMail account (see lakrsrool's picture for reference). The problem with POP3 is that you'll lose some features -- folders probably being the most important.

If your Outlook account is set to IMAP, then you may be out of luck. I don't have Outlook, but looking through the options for Thunderbird, I don't see an equivalent way as POP3 to remove messages.

But here are some work-arounds:
1) Use either POP Peeper Pro (video tutorial) or Outlook or GMail to move your old messages to another folder. This will be a continuous process (although, someday, I'd like to add an automated process that would allow POP Peeper to move old messages to another folder)

2) Change your Outlook account to use POP3

3) Add a new Outlook account setup as POP3, in addition to your IMAP account. When you want to remove the messages from your GMail account, use the Outlook/POP3 account. You may want to use the GMail setting: "When messages are accessed with POP: ARCHIVE gmail's copy" -- that way, you're not really permanently deleting the messages from GMail.

Also, this:
PP's behaviour of displaying retrieved messages over and over again
Are you saying that PP is having to download the messages over and over again? If so, make sure that PP is set to save the message cache so that this doesn't happen:
From the main menu: Tools / Options; "Storage" page
Make sure that "Storage" is set to either "headers" or "entire message" ("entire" is recommended)
-> If it's set to "none" then POP Peeper will not save the messages to disk and will have to retrieve them all over again whenever PP is restarted.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon May 02, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed wrong tag