All addresses wiped out....

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
arcadian

All addresses wiped out....

Post by arcadian »

No idea what happened but I'd just finished installing Dragon Speech when a PP pop up appeared asking me if I wanted to install it, the next thing I knew everything crashed and I had to reboot. Dragon had installed okay but all my email addresses had gone the first time it's ever happened.

Does this mean I have to re-enter all of them again or are they hopefully stored in a memory somewhere....?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: All addresses wiped out....

Post by Jeff »

That sounds *very* strange; particularly, that you were asked to install it out of the blue. I'm not sure that it necessarily matters, but do you know if it was the actual installation or was it the setup wizard (the first thing the setup wizard would ask you is what language you want to use)? But, in either case, *something* would have had to prompt that. Did this occur immediately after a reboot?

Regardless -- search your computer for a file named 'poppeeper.ini'. The typical place is:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
(copy/paste that into Windows Explorer's address bar and press <enter> to access it)
Or it may be where you installed POP Peeper, either:
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
or
C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\

You can also search for a file named poppeeper.ini.bak (which should also be found with a search for 'poppeeper.ini') -- if found, then this may be your file (be sure to check timestamps; you can also open the file with a text editor and you can see the accounts by searching for [Act_), but would need to be renamed back to poppeeper.ini to be used.
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Thanks.

Well more strange still on booting up first thing this morning everything was back to normal thankfully as I certainly didn't relish the thought of reinstalling 17 accounts with GMail blocking everything every five minutes !

However I clearly remember seeing last night in the very top left hand corner of the screen first PP then Dragon Naturally Speaking. This morning it's back to just PP....? ?

Hope it doesn't happen again [-o<
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad it's back to normal. I'd suggest making a backup of the poppeeper.ini file yourself so that you know where it's at to avoid future panic. Go to the main menu: Tools / Options / Storage to find the exact location of the ini file on your system. If you keep addresses in POP Peeper, there's also an addrbook.inx file in the "data path" folder displayed on the aforementioned storage page. I would say those 2 files contain the most important information.
arcadian

Post by arcadian »

Thanks....

Not sure I fully understand, can these two storage files then be activated so that all the addresses will re-appear back in their original places or do they have to put back manually ?

I have at least saved all the addresses in a Word file updating them regularly, the problem being as you probably well know you've only got to get something slightly wrong or different GMail goes into overdrive, often taking 3 or 4 hours to work through a wild maze of contradictory, untraceable, cryptic, missing junctions and signposts only to finish up back where you started with the problem still unsolved taking geekdom to boundaries I never knew existed....! :lol:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry! I somehow missed your message until now.

When you make a copy of those files, it's your own personal copy and PP won't know about the copies. You'd need to move them back to their original locations manually (when PP isn't running) to restore them. Well, technically, you could import the address book, but since you already have to move the ini file (and they're probably in the same folder), importing would be more trouble than it's worth.