Links opening in Pop Peeper instaed of default browser

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Advice Guy

Links opening in Pop Peeper instaed of default browser

Post by Advice Guy »

I've been using PP for years and in the past week it has started acting like it's own browser. I checked the setting in PPtweak Misc2 and the box is checked to force PP to open links in the default browser. I have Firefox as my default browser in the Windows Program Default settings. I'm using v4.1.1.0.

Interestingly, this behavior isn't consistent. In some emails it opens the default browser and in some it opens the link itself. I have emails in the same account and from the same sender and in one email PP opens the link itself and in another email it sends the link to the default browser.

How do I fix this?
mjs

Re: Links opening in Pop Peeper instaed of default browser

Post by mjs »

Please explain in more detail what you mean by in "some it opens the link itself" and how this is different to when "it opens the default browser"?

What exactly is it that you mean by "opens the link itself"?

All website links in an email message have an assigned website address (URL) that is the address to a webpage that as to be viewed using a browser. If you right-click on the link in the email message and click on "properties" you will see this "Address (URL)" at the bottom of the properties window for that specific link. This is the website that will be opened in your browser when you click on the link in the email message.

As to your description it "opens the link itself", I'm wondering if WOT security is what you are referencing (see image below):
WOT warning
WOT warning
If this is the case, and you trust the website you can click on the "Open URL" button which will then open the linked webpage in your (default) browser and keep in mind that you can also check the box "Do not prompt for the selected domain" if you do not want to see this prompt again for websites that belong to that specific domain that you trust.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Advice Guy

Post by Advice Guy »

What I mean is that PP is acting as the browser, it opens the link inside the email window. Nothing is interfering, the problem is that PP is doing the browsing instead of sending the link to Firefox.
mjs

Post by mjs »

So what it appears to be doing is opening the actual webpage (browser page) inside the POP Peeper message interface, correct? (as opposed to opening the browser itself as one would expect)

Does this only occur with a specific Email provider account? And if so what is the Email provider (Hotmail/Outlook, Gmail, Yahoo etc)? What is the email protocol you are using (IMAP, POP3, webmail) for this account?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To steal and slightly change one of lakrsrool's questions: does this occur from a specific *sender*? There are some cases where a specific source (ie. a specific newsletter) has malformed HTML and that can causes the problem you describe. Can you send a sample of the message source (if there are multiple senders, one from each would be better)?

To obtain the message source in PP:
View the message and from the menu, select File / "Save message as" and save it. Send any/all of these files to (support at esumsoft dot com) as attachments, and be sure to include a brief reminder of the issue.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

For reference, the problem is in the HTML source:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<div style="display:none;"></div>
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">
<base target=_blank>
</head>
The source is including a <div> tag inside the <head> tag. IE interprets this as the start of the <body> and ignores everything else in the <head> including PP's insertion to open links in a new window (represented by the <base target=_blank> tag).
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

mine opens in Microsoft edge rather than my defaull browser Mozilla Firefox

how do i change this please?
mjs

Post by mjs »

pop_pepper wrote:mine opens in Microsoft edge rather than my defaull browser Mozilla Firefox

how do i change this please?
Assuming your default browser has changed to the Microsoft Edge browser (possibly due to a recent install of Edge) as you have described then you have a few methods available to you to rectify this.

Here a three ways in order of preference, try the following methods to set your default browser in this order until you get what you want.

#1. Changing the default browser by way of the specific browser itself is one way and perhaps the easiest and most straight forward. For Firefox take a look at this web page for instructions to change Firefox to your default browser: Make Firefox your default browser. Following the various steps in this link that outline different optional methods of setting your default browser to Firefox will get what you want.

Test a link in PP again, if Firefox opens you are done.

#2. You can set your default browser via your Windows Operating System (OS) by going to where your OS "Sets Default Programs" and selecting the browser you want to be the default (in this case Firefox) and following the steps to do so which is applied different ways depending upon the OS but in most if not all cases it will be done in "Default Programs" > "Set Program Access and Computer Defaults" accessed via the Control Panel.

Test a link in PP again, if Firefox opens you are done.

#3. As a last resort, that is if neither of the former two methods work, there is a setting in POP Peeper; "Tools" > "PPtweaker" > "Misc2", toward the bottom of the page ("Browser to launch URLs") that will accomplish what you want (you would need to enter the path to the Firefox executable via the "browse" button).
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

thank you, the last one worked for me. Since going onto Windows 10, firefox and this version of windows do not like each other. I have found it extremely difficult to set Mozilla Firefox as my default with either of the first two you suggested. The system just looks at me blankly as if i've asked some kind of difficult process.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I use WIN7 myself, but I do have a laptop with WIN10 and have no problem setting "default apps" in this OS (refer to Method #2 for this). I use Pale Moon as my default browser but have no problem setting FF as the default via the browser setting (refer to Method #1 for this) which is really the easiest approach.

The "How to" for the first two more preferable methods previously posted:

Method #1) Just go to Firefox "Options", you will find right at the top of the "General" tab the settings for this. If you click on the "Make Default" button this will get what you want which is to make FF your default browser (first thing you will see in FF "Options"). Also if you click on the other "Startup" option pointed out then in the event your default browser might inadvertently get changed (like in you case apparently) then Firefox will always prompt you if Firefox is not your default (virtually all browsers have these settings by the way).
Setting Firefox as default browser
Setting Firefox as default browser
Method #2) If you follow the steps outlined on this http://www.howtogeek.com/223144/how-to- ... indows-10/ website you should have no problem setting the default browser in Windows 10. You would set your default browser to Firefox instead of what you see (Pale Moon) in the screen-shot below of course by clicking on "default apps" then clicking on "Set defaults by app" and selecting "Firefox" from the list of apps displayed.
Windows 10 Default Apps settings (you would of course set you default to Firefox instead of Pale Moon)
Windows 10 Default Apps settings (you would of course set you default to Firefox instead of Pale Moon)
If you were to use either of these two preferred methods then you should remember to set POP Peeper Method #3 back to the setting that it was previously (that is check the box as opposed to providing a direct path to the browser of choice as you apparently did).