Gmail Authenication problem

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
arcdancer

Gmail Authenication problem

Post by arcdancer »

I am running Window 7 and have been using Pop Peeper Pro for over a year with no problems. I have two accounts and they have been working fine until 3 days ago. Now my Gmail account gives me the following error:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.1.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.26.0
SSL: 1.0.2.6
IMAP: 4.1.1.0
SendMail: 4.1.1.0
Profile Picture: 4.1.1.0
AntiJunk: 4.1.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.1.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.1.1.0

--- Error ---
Gmail [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 2]
Login Error ([AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials Failure)

My other account works fine. I have tried to delete the account then add it back, but I still get the same error. I verified all the account settings and they work fine when I use Outlook. I believe that this error is normally caused by using a invalid Username and/or password but I'm using the same information that I use with Outlook. I can access my Gmail account via my browser using the same username and password with no problem.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
mjs

Re: Gmail Authenication problem

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum arcdancer,

Your correct in your conclusion regarding what the error message means. Based on the information you've posted one would not expect to see this error.

Try exiting and restarting POP Peeper to see if this helps. If not try rebooting your computer.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also, try re-typing your password in your POP Peeper account.
arcdancer

Post by arcdancer »

Tried both of your ideas but nothing has changed.I know it is probably something simple but that only makes it more aggravating.
mjs

Post by mjs »

It usually doesn't matter but try using "TLS" instead of "SSL" (Edit the account, next to the "Server type" setting change "SSL" to "TLS", the port will also change to 143, which is expected), click on "Update" and test the account. (SSL, the predecessor to TLS, should work just fine and does for me but in the event Gmail might be having issues with SSL on some of their servers then you may have better luck using the TLS protocol).

Do you have "Server required authentication" checked on the "Send mail" page (when editing account)?

Make doubly certain that you have the correct "Email address", "Login name" and "Password" (editing the account in the "General" tab).

You say you only have two accounts, I'm presuming only one of them is Gmail and as you say is the problematic account.

If after trying all the above and the problem persists then try going to this Google setting: https://www.google.com/settings/security/lesssecureapps and select "Turn on" to see if this might possibly help (btw, don't be concerned about the Gmail warning, I use this setting for all Gmail accounts which can help avoid log-in problems).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers