Suggestion: Make Report Spam button send one email to multiple email addresses

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
killme

Suggestion: Make Report Spam button send one email to multiple email addresses

Post by killme »

When pressing the Report Spam button could one email be sent both to Spamcop and the FTC at the same time? Currently I have to press the arrow button and select U.S. FTC to send the spam to them. Pressing the Report Spam button will send the email only to Spamcop.

In other words, I'd like to have the Spamcop address and the FTC address listed in the TO field when I click the Report Spam button.

Dan
mjs

Re: Suggestion: Make Report Spam button send one email to multiple email addresses

Post by mjs »

If I recall correctly (can't check to verify) whatever SPAM Reporting Services you have selected in "Tools" > "Antijunk" > "Settings" > "Report SPAM" (see below) will be used:
All 3 Services are selected in this examle.
All 3 Services are selected in this examle.
all 3 services selected.png (12.82 KiB) Viewed 9157 times
so then for example in this case all 3 SPAM Reports will get sent (queued-up in the outbox) when the "Report Spam" button is clicked. (go to this setting to make sure whatever Services you want to send SPAM Reports to are selected)

In this example if you were to click on the "Repoort Spam" drop-down list you should then see all 3 Services selected as illustrated (this tells you what Services have been selected in the setting mentioned above):
Clicking on Report Spam drop-down list will display the selected services
Clicking on Report Spam drop-down list will display the selected services
Report Spam drop-down list displays all 3 Services are selected.png (6.91 KiB) Viewed 9157 times
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
killme

Re: Suggestion: Make Report Spam button send one email to multiple email addresses

Post by killme »

In the drop down box I see a space where a check mark could be, but neither Spamcop nor US FTC has a check mark beside it.
pp-reportspam-nocheckmarks.png
pp-reportspam-nocheckmarks.png (28.61 KiB) Viewed 9146 times
mjs

Post by mjs »

Go to the setting I referenced at the top of my post and select the Services there as far as what you want to use (in "Tools" > "Antijunk" > "Settings" > "Report SPAM", see 1st screen-shot I posted). Then the selected Services will be displayed in the screen-shot you posted.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
killme

Post by killme »

They are selected in the Antijunk settings. When I deselect them the item is completely removed from the Report Spam drop down box.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Then maybe I'm wrong about how this works (it makes it difficult to not be able to test w/out any SPAM).

So if you click on the Report SPAM button with multiple Services Selected they do not get queued up in your outbox at the same time to be sent?
killme

Post by killme »

Apparently not. When I click Report Spam it opens a Compose message window with my unique Spamcop email address in the TO field. I have to click Send Later for it to be added to the Outbox. To submit my spam to the U.S. FTC I have to use the drop down box and click on U.S. FTC. and again a Compose message window opens up with the US FTC email in the TO field and I have to click Send Later so it's added to the Outbox.

I just updated to PP 4.2 Beta 3, but it didn't fix the problem.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Sorry for the confusion, I have needed to use SPAM so rarely (haven't sent any SPAM reports in a very long time) I had assumed that if the Service was selected then if the Report SPAM button was clicked each of the Services selected to be used would get queued-up in the outbox to be sent individually from a send window that opens automatically to be sent from for each Report (my recollection on this is apparently entirely wrong).

Based on what you've said, each Service has to be click on separately and therefore sent individually one at a time.

So apparently we will just have to wait for Jeff to look into your suggestion. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The checkmarks indicate that the message has been submitted to that service.

In order to submit to multiple services with a single email, you just need to create a new service and include multiple email addresses in the "email to" field in the same format that you would normally send to multiple recipients, e.g.
emailaddr1@test.com; emailaddr2@test.com

You can then click&drag the new multi-address service so that it's at the top of the list for convenience (ie. clicking the "report spam" button always uses the first unreported service).
mjs

Post by mjs »

So that's how it works, thanks Jeff.

Even though I almost never get SPAM, it sounded like a good idea by killme, so I added an account, "Combined Services", with all three SPAM Service accounts addresses and dragged the new account to the top of the list.

For now I did find a little trick to keep in mind if you want to drag the new account to the top of the list, so thought I'd post this. Under certain circumstances the email address field ("Email to:") might get cleared when you drag the new account to the top. The easiest approach for now is before you drag the new account to the top of the list, simply select another account (to take focus off that new account in the "Service name" list box or you can disable the new account, remove check mark as well). Selecting another account will cause the Service name to change from "[New Service]" that is displayed in the "Service name" account list box to the name you entered in the name field. Once this is done the email address field ("Email to:") will not get cleared when you drag the account to the top.

I will be contacting Jeff regarding this.
killme

Post by killme »

Jeff wrote:The checkmarks indicate that the message has been submitted to that service.
After reporting the message I still didn't see any checkmarks in the drop down menu.
Jeff wrote:In order to submit to multiple services with a single email, you just need to create a new service and include multiple email addresses in the "email to" field in the same format that you would normally send to multiple recipients, e.g.
Thanks for this. After creating the new service and reporting some spam I noticed one of the email addresses had a tab space before it. When creating the service I put a ";" and a blank space after each ";" to separate the email addresses. The same thing happens when I use a "," instead of a ";". In the New Message window this is what it ends up looking like:
pp-tabspace.png
Removing the space after the ";" seems to fix it so there is no tab space there.
mjs

Post by mjs »

killme wrote:
Jeff wrote:The checkmarks indicate that the message has been submitted to that service.
After reporting the message I still didn't see any checkmarks in the drop down menu.
If you are clicking on the "Report Spam" button and following through to send the SPAM reports then you should see a check mark displayed for what Service was sent and it's important to keep in mind that the "Report Spam" button will start at the top of the list of Services in the drop-down menu list that had not been sent. So if you wanted to send to all 3 SPAM Reporting services at the same time when you click on the "Report Spam" button you should have moved the "combined services" you added to the top of the list, then this Combined Service would get the check mark but keep in mind a check mark will not be present for each one of the 3 separate individual Services. Of course if you clicked on the "Report Spam" button again the next Reporting Service in line (that had not been sent) would get sent which would be the next in line on the drop-down menu list that wasn't already sent which would presumably be one of the individual Reporting Services (but of course this would be redundant and not what you would want to do if you had already sent to all three of the Services combined presumably at the top of the list).

Have you moved the combined services (drag-and-drop) to the top of the list in the "Report Spam" page of the "AntiJunk" settings? (under "Tools" > "AntiJunk" > "Settings" > "Report Spam" > "Service name" list box (see image):
Combined Services at top of list. Then when the "Report Spam" button is pushed this will be the Services that are reported.
Combined Services at top of list. Then when the "Report Spam" button is pushed this will be the Services that are reported.
Combined Services at top of list.png (16.75 KiB) Viewed 9068 times
If this "Combined Services" is enabled in this window then there is actually no need for the others to be enabled by the way (that is if you have it setup this way and you intend to send all 3 reporting Services at the same time).

If you have this setup as illustrated above (you may have a different name for the combined Services of course) then this top multiple Services should then be the only check mark that is displayed in the "Spam Reporting" drop-down menu list after sending the Reports to these SPAM Reporting agencies. Are you saying that you do not get a check mark at that point for the Combined Services? (keep in mind the other single individual services will not get a check mark on the list at this time if they are there on the list).

I am unable to actually test this since I have no SPAM email, but this is the way I understand how it should work. :wink:
killme

Post by killme »

Yes, I moved the combined service to the top and it's the only one enabled. Therefore, it's the only one listed under the "Report Spam" drop down list in PP Main window. And yes, I am saying that I do not get a check mark after reporting the spam using the newly created "combined service".
mjs

Post by mjs »

killme wrote:
Jeff wrote:In order to submit to multiple services with a single email, you just need to create a new service and include multiple email addresses in the "email to" field in the same format that you would normally send to multiple recipients, e.g.
Thanks for this. After creating the new service and reporting some spam I noticed one of the email addresses had a tab space before it....

Removing the space after the ";" seems to fix it so there is no tab space there.
What I did which seemed to work okay is copy/paste each address for each Service to the Notepad separated by "; " (comma I guess works) and after having all 3 combined this way in the Notepad then copy that and paste this into the "Email to" box in the new Combined Services addition then drag/drop this new addition to the top of the list so that the "combined services" will be what gets sent when pushing the "Report Spam" button.
killme

Post by killme »

lakrsrool wrote:What I did which seemed to work okay is copy/paste each address for each Service to the Notepad separated by "; " (comma I guess works) and after having all 3 combined this way in the Notepad then copy that and paste this into the "Email to" box in the new Combined Services addition then drag/drop this new addition to the top of the list so that the "combined services" will be what gets sent when pushing the "Report Spam" button.
I just ended up removing the blank spaces to get rid of the tab space. Note: You have to click on the picture in my message above to actually see the whole picture including the tab space.
mjs

Post by mjs »

killme wrote:Yes, I moved the combined service to the top and it's the only one enabled. Therefore, it's the only one listed under the "Report Spam" drop down list in PP Main window. And yes, I am saying that I do not get a check mark after reporting the spam using the newly created "combined service".
Okay, I've actually found a message I received last year that is "junk" mail that was not deleted, so I'm going to test this message with what I've got setup (which is the same as what you have now from what I can tell)

Before sending SPAM Report to Combined Services:
Combined Services not sent yet and unchecked in drop-down list.
Combined Services not sent yet and unchecked in drop-down list.
Combined Services is not checked because it is not been sent yet.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
After sending SPAM Report to Combined Services:
After pressing the "Report Spam" button and sending to these services I now get a check mark placed on the drop-down list for this service.
After pressing the "Report Spam" button and sending to these services I now get a check mark placed on the drop-down list for this service.
Combined Services IS checked now after clicking the Report Spam button.png (6.91 KiB) Viewed 9059 times
That is strange, I get what is to be expected but in your case you are not getting that check mark as I do. And you have actually sent the SPAM reports and not "saved them for later"?

All I can say is that if you have actually sent the SPAM report to your "combined services" then we will have to leave this for Jeff to look into tomorrow.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, I'm getting that weird tab space, too. Not sure what that's about so I'll look into it.

Also, lakrsrool is correct that you won't get the checkmark until the email report has actually been sent; it won't appear if it's still sitting in your outbox. You will also get a whistle icon in the status column after it's been reported to at least one service.
killme

Post by killme »

I found out why I am not seeing the checkmark.

Under AntiJunk Settings -> Report Spam. I changed the setting "Email from" to a specific email account instead of the default setting "use receiving account." When I have it set to "use received account" the status icon changes to a whistle and I see the checkmark under Report Spam drop down list.

I prefer to use one specific email account for submitting spam and after changing it to a specific email account I don't see the checkmark under Report Spam drop down list, nor do I see the whistle icon under the status column when I submit a spam report.
mjs

Post by mjs »

After testing a number of times for this scenario of not using the "Receiving account" to send SPAM reports (which never would have occurred to me to do actually) a number of times (by using the same SPAM message and not deleting it and then removing the message from the inbox and repopulating the message via another mail check to be able to test multiple times). I've found that this outcome of no check mark or whistle only holds true if using the "Combined Services" at the top of the list of choices of Services. If I select any one of the other Services to do this same test of sending from an account other than the "Receiving account" I still do get the check mark and whistle icon.

A bit of an odd scenario admittedly, but apparently this issue that arises as a consequence of not using the "Receiving account" apparently applies only to the top listed "Combined Services" selection in my case. At least this is the result I got testing this sending from an account other than the "Receiving account" scenario multiple times. (I'm probably driving the Reporting Services crazy, but this was the only way I was able test multiple scenario combinations with the only SPAM message I have)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, these problems have been addressed/fixed:
1) when including multiple recipients, extra characters (tab) might get included. This may have actually affected the other attributes of spam reporting, as well (e.g. body).

2) when using a specific account, the message would not get the "reported" status. The problem was that the original account (where the original message is located) was not getting set, so instead, PP was trying to find the original message in the account that you used to send. On a side-note, if you didn't specify the "use this account" but then changed the account to a different account, then it would have worked as expected (just like if you reply to a normal email and change the account -- the original email will still get the "replied-to" status).