Update for Profile Picture

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

Update for Profile Picture

Post by bbqbrisket »

I get the gold star at the bottome telling me to look at a version of something.
In this case, it's the Profile Picture.
When I select to "Download" it, I get taken to the website that show either a "NO" or "YES"
Profile Picture 4.1.1.0 4.2.0.0 YES
Problem is that the "YES" does not allow me to activate to a program to download.
mjs

Re: Update for Profile Picture

Post by mjs »

In the meantime until Jeff can look into this further can you please go to "Help" > "About POP Peeper..." from the main menu and tell us what you see in the "Current" and "Latest" and "CRC" columns for the "Profile Picture" plugin.

Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This bug will be fixed in the next installation. In the meantime:

Go to where you installed POP Peeper, e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
or
C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\

and then:
1) Exit POP Peeper (right-click on the tray icon)
2) Delete ProfilePicture.dll
3) Restart PP
-> No more "new version" icon

For more information about this bug:
http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 618#p32944
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Just looked and saw your response. Here, see screen shots; not that they mean much anymore.
I will do as instructed..
Also, can you look into the following:
This has been going on for years since I started using PP.
Whenever I go into the Forum posting for some support, I always check off "Notify me when a reply is posted"
but I have never, not even once had received a notification email of any replies to my post.
I've asked about this before but never got any info that would solve the issue on my end.

thanks
Attachments
pp3.JPG
pp2.JPG
pp1.JPG
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

I just deleted the "profile picture .dll" from the PP application folder, closed out PP from the tray.
Reloaded the program and checked for new email and the gold star and picture profile still shows up with both the old ver and the new one to download.
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket wrote:I just deleted the "profile picture .dll" from the PP application folder, closed out PP from the tray.
Reloaded the program and checked for new email and the gold star and picture profile still shows up with both the old ver and the new one to download.
Did you Exit POP Peeper first, before deleting the "ProfilePicture.dll"?

The reason I ask is because in the sequence of events that you've described you have said that you "closed out PP from the tray" subsequent to deleting the dll.

Notice the procedure order posted by Jeff:
Jeff wrote:Go to where you installed POP Peeper, e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
or
C:\Program Files\POP Peeper\

and then:
1) Exit POP Peeper (right-click on the tray icon)
2) Delete ProfilePicture.dll
3) Restart PP
-> No more "new version" icon
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket wrote: Also, can you look into the following:
This has been going on for years since I started using PP.
Whenever I go into the Forum posting for some support, I always check off "Notify me when a reply is posted"
but I have never, not even once had received a notification email of any replies to my post.
I've asked about this before but never got any info that would solve the issue on my end.
Regarding your other question involving forum replies.

The "Notify me when a reply is posted" option (at the bottom of the topic) doesn't seem to be that reliable.

You should try subscribing to the topic by doing the following. When you are logged-in and viewing the topic page, scroll to the bottom of the topic page where you will find the "Topic Tools" options ("wrench" icon button as illustrated in the screen-shot). Click on the "wrench" icon to get the list of "Topic Tools" options available and then click on the "Subscribe topic" option in the context menu list to enable the option:
Click on "Topic Tools" function to get option list and then click on "Subscribe topic" to enable the option.
Click on "Topic Tools" function to get option list and then click on "Subscribe topic" to enable the option.
subscribe to topic.png (12.59 KiB) Viewed 5480 times
Note that the Board will only send ONE notification of a reply for topics subscribed to, that is until you log-in to the PP Forums again. (To discontinue receiving topic reply notifications, click on "unsubscribe" of this same option while on the topic and logged in).
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Ok...now the Picture Profile dll is gone...Don't know why it did disapper the first time arround.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Also regarding the :notification of reply.

I just went into the wrench and noticed that the only option I had was to "unsubscribe".
There was not option to "subscribe" as your pic shows.
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Sorry for the confusion, if you already have "unsubscribe" displayed for this option then you are subscribed and therefore should be getting reply notifications when they occur as described in my previous post. (my illustration is what would display if you were not subscribed to the topic as this is what I assumed the setting was set at in your case)

So then I presume you did not get any notification presumably when I posted my replies in the topic, right?

One thing you might check on is to see if the reply notifications might be going into your email accounts SPAM folder.

Also if you have multiple email accounts make sure you are checking the correct account for this forum.

If the reply notifications are not in the SPAM folder of the email account on file for the forum and you did not get a reply notification for this reply I've posted then try toggling the setting off and on, that is change it back to what I illustrated by clicking on the option and then change it back to what you now have.

Let us know what your results are regarding this.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

re: email notification -- several of us have tested this in the past, but I don't believe that any of us got it to fail once we understood the rules of it (e.g. you won't get more than 1 email despite multiple replies until you sign back in; there are probably others that I've forgotten). But enough people mention it that it seems likely that there's a problem.

So I've changed the method that the forum uses to send email and hopefully that will help. The problem is that there's nothing in the forum's error logs that would indicate a problem has occurred; and I know it *would* tell me because I created an error accidentally when I used the wrong email settings whilst just changing that...

Anyway, fingers crossed.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hmm, I set this topic to "Subscribe topic" just to see the results I get and it did work for me as I just received the email notification of this post above by Jeff as expected.

So in my case at least this "Subscribe topic" function does appear to be working. :wink:
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

This is just to confirm the [Subscribe topic] function does in fact work for me. Checked it by using a test account and different email address to receive notifications of any replies made to this topic and another topic. Email notifications were received in both the separate email accounts when Jeff's and lakrsrool's replies were posted here.

I also checked my settings in the User Control Panel as well.

Best regards,
Global Moderator