No longer able to us "Attach"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

No longer able to us "Attach"

Post by bbqbrisket »

HI,
I am now no longer able to us the "Attach" when sending email; it is grayed out.

Thanks for the help.
bbqbrisket

Re: No longer able to us "Attach"

Post by bbqbrisket »

Well, I found the problem and the "stmp" settings went back to default ie. not activated.... so it's now fixed.
But it does leave the question as to what happened that the setting disappeared.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It sounds like you're using WebMail -- attachments have never been allowed with WebMail, you need to use SMTP to send attachments. What webmail provider are you using?

Ah, you just answered your own question. Do you mean it wasn't enabled under "Plugins"?
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

It was enabled. I have 6 hotmail accounts and all were set up with smtp but one of the lost its settings and I'm trying to figure out what would cause the settings to go back to default.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

So I take it that the incoming was set to "Hotmail/Outlook"? Is that what you thought it was supposed to be (as opposed to POP3/IMAP), or did that also change?

Is it possible that this particular account was not set to SMTP and you just noticed it now?

One possibility, though, is if you change the incoming "server type" to something else, and then change it back to "Hotmail/Outlook", it will also change the Send Mail option back to Webmail.
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

Can you send a screen shot of the settings?

I am using webmail. It is not SMTP it is imap. smtp didn't work very well but I would like attachments. That would be helpful.

T
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I'm not sure which settings you'd like a screenshot of? However, in general, it's not necessary because POP Peeper will automatically change the settings when you change the "server type."

For incoming/receiving mail, the available protocols for Hotmail are:
- Imap
- Pop3
- Hotmail/Outlook (this is what I'm referring to when I use the general term "webmail")

For outgoing/sending mail, the available protocols are:
- SMTP (for any of the 3 protocols above)
- WebMail (only available when using "Hotmail/Outlook")

In general, IMAP is the best protocol to use. Unfortunately, Hotmail's IMAP server is very flaky and also doesn't abide with IMAP guidelines. However, v4.3 makes a special case for Hotmail and, personally, the number of errors I've seen over the last several weeks since I've been using v4.3 is very few (maybe 2-3 in that time). You can download v4.3 beta here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper-beta/