get email when account box not checked

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: get email when account box not checked

Post by mjs »

Yes that term "push mail" is commonly used for real-time email capability to push email through to the client as soon as it arrives as opposed to requiring the client to "poll" for email or deliver email manually.

So are you saying for this specific account you receive messages when POP Peeper is not doing a "Mail check" (polling for mail based on your "Polling Interval" setting)?

As I understand it, real-time message delivery should only occur if the account uses the IMAP protocol and the "Idle/Push" option is enabled (checked) for that specific account.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

johnwrites wrote:Does PP not have to log in at all to get push email?
To put it simply, "push mail" requires the email client to be open and running virtually all the time referred to as an "idle" connection (which is where this term originates). Actually there will be a "handshake" recycling that will occur momentarily to avoid time-out issues. In this regard, IMAP servers are expected to allow an "idle" connection to remain connected for a minimum of 30 minutes before assuming the Client has timed-out. That said, because some Servers may not adhere to that rule it is my understanding that POP Peeper uses a 15 minute "handshake" cycle time.

This "push mail" concept is in contrast to on the other hand "Polling" for messages which involves electronic handshaking between the client software and the mail server based on set intervals. If the server is busy, the delay in completing the "handshake" can lengthen, causing the client to time out in these cases.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To add to what lakrsrool said, if an account is set to use idle:
1) Checking the account will engage the idle connection
2) Disabling the account will not disconnect the idle connection

So, if you plan on disabling an account, you should disable the idle option, too.

I don't like the first "rule" and this was most likely an oversight, as I can't think of any reason why it should work that way. This has been fixed for v4.3. Note, however, that the second rule will still apply, so you'd have to manually disconnect it in this case.