Recently PP started randomly crashing in background

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Apesbrain

Recently PP started randomly crashing in background

Post by Apesbrain »

Have used PP for many, many years without issue. In past few weeks, however, it seems to stop a few times a day. I have it running in systray and checking for new mail every hour. Every so often the notification icon shows that checking is underway but it's stuck in that status. Icon is unresponsive. Have to launch Task Manager and quit the process from there. Have been running this Win 7 laptop forever and it's fully up-to-date. Something has changed, though. Any suggestions?

Also getting a lot of these errors and not just Yahoo:

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.2.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.6
IMAP: 4.2.0.0
SendMail: 4.2.0.0

--- Error ---
Yahoo [3: Yahoo] ['' (0) SSL: 0] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Error: Try again later. (-11)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Recently PP started randomly crashing in background

Post by Jeff »

The Yahoo error has been fixed, see:
http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6686

As for the crash/hang -- a point of clarification: the "checking for mail" icon is usually animated; are the eyes moving back and forth or are they stuck in a single frame of animation?

Have you tried rebooting Windows?

How many accounts do you have and -- in general -- what types of accounts do you have (e.g. WebMail, IMAP, POP3, RSS -- "Yahoo" would be "WebMail")?
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply. I have 5 accounts in PP: Gmail, 2 Hotmail, IMAP (Mail.com), and Yahoo. Now have the latest webmail DLL so hopefully the Yahoo problem is gone. When PP crashes the systray icon is frozen in midst of the animation. Have rebooted Windows several times.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Apesbrain wrote:Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply. I have 5 accounts in PP: Gmail, 2 Hotmail, IMAP (Mail.com), and Yahoo. Now have the latest webmail DLL so hopefully the Yahoo problem is gone. When PP crashes the systray icon is frozen in midst of the animation. Have rebooted Windows several times.
As Jeff mentioned, you are using webmail (that is "Yahoo") for your Yahoo email account (which we can tell from the "Error Information" you posted above). Are you using IMAP for all your other accounts? If not which protocol are you using for each of your other accounts, i.e. IMAP, POP3 or "Webmail" ("Webmail" protocol if used would be a "Server type" of "Gmail", "Hotmail/Outlook" and "Mail.com" for your Gmail, 2 Hotmail and Mail.com accounts respectively).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Apesbrain

Post by Apesbrain »

I have changed all of my accounts to the proper server type. The Hotmail & Gmail were configured for POP and IMAP respectively. Will reply back if any further issues. Thanks for your help.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Apesbrain -- I don't think lakrsrool was leading you to change the server types, just asking for clarification. In fact, IMAP is generally recommended over WebMail (especially for Gmail). But, since you've already changed it, why don't you just leave it for now and see if that affects the random hangs you're getting, as that could certainly be a clue to help narrow down the possibilities. Keep us updated...