Hotmail NotAuthenticatedServiceError

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
burtp

Hotmail NotAuthenticatedServiceError

Post by burtp »

This morning I started getting the following error on all my Hotmail accounts:

Error (Select Command is not permitted in current state NotAuthenticatedServerError

I have not changed anything for weeks and PP was working OK earlier this morning but not for a couple of hours now. Hotmail is up and running via web access and I can access it from another email client, but not PP.

All accounts are setup as imap with OAuth2 authentication and IDLE/Push. I turned off OAuth2 which did not make any difference. Neither did a PP restart or machine reboot.

Anyone else experiencing this or have suggestions? Thank you.
burtp

Re: Hotmail NotAuthenticatedServiceError

Post by burtp »

Well, now that I have posted about the problem it has gone away. Naturally :-) Must have been some MS issue with imap. Sorry for the false alarm.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I received the same error on one of our 9 MS accounts in the past ½ hour which cleared by the next mail check. This kind of error when it occurs is generally temporary in nature and typically clears quickly assuming the correct protocols are in place.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
burtp

Post by burtp »

Yes, MS must be having problems. All Hotmail accounts are back in the error state again. Downrightnow.com reporting problems as well.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi burtp,

Downrightnow.com is indeed reporting issues. When I checked the "imap-mail.outlook.com" at the isitdownrightnow.com site, it is showing it as being down also.
(I'm not experiencing any issues on my end.....YET anyway).

As lakrsrool mentioned, the type error you received is typically transitory and will subsequently clear on future mail checks. Thanks for posting & keep us updated as to how things go on your end. :)

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Whelkman

Post by Whelkman »

I, too, was having this issue, but it cleared some time in the last 15 minutes.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've received some email reporting issues with Hotmail, too, for both webmail and imap. My primary hotmail account which remains in IDLE hasn't had any problems, though I did try disconnecting and reconnecting about 30 minutes ago with no problem; don't think I'd be so lucky to try it again as other tests I've been running have shown significant issues in the last 20 minutes or so.

I just logged the error, and the original error does occur in the login:
Client: (login)
Server: OK Authentication encountered server error. Try again later.

Of course, the "OK" response tells POP Peeper that the authentication was supposedly successful, which is why POP Peeper reports a different error since the above is not technically an error. :roll:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Oh, yeah, almost forgot the status page from the horse's mouth:
https://portal.office.com/servicestatus
"We're having issues, but we're working on it."
"
Title: Can't connect to Outlook.com

User Impact: Users may be unable to connect to the Outlook.com service.

More info: Affected users may receive an error stating: "Something went wrong." If site access is successful, the web client may not render successfully.

Current status: Our investigation determined that a portion of the capacity responsible for routing connection requests to the mailbox databases became degraded. We're shifting traffic to a healthy portion of the infrastructure to remediate impact.

Start time: Thursday, October 6, 2016, at 5:00 PM UTC

Next update by: Thursday, October 6, 2016, at 7:30 PM UTC
"
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

(For rtorella): Your post can be found at the link below:

http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 428#p33428

Best regards,
Global Moderator