Pop Peeper is leaving messages on the server

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
idocsteve

Pop Peeper is leaving messages on the server

Post by idocsteve »

Hi, I've been using the pro version of Pop Peeper for years and it's great, had a recent problem which I posted about recently which is now solved, thank you very much.

New issue. Dad's in town and I hooked him up with Pop Peeper to avoid using the web client that he was using to access his Pop3 Comcast/Xfinity server which is slow and intermittent at best.

Pop Peeper (newest version as of yesterday) configured for his email provider with no issues and the emails download from the server with no issue, however, upon deleting emails, they do not show up in Pop Peeper after the next mail check (which is expected since they were deleted) however when using the web client to access email those SAME DELETED messages still reside on the email provider server.

Please advise how to configure such that emails are deleted off the Comcast/Xfinity server at the same time Pop Peeper deletes them from its own dowloaded list.

Thanks again.
mjs

Re: Pop Peeper is leaving messages on the server

Post by mjs »

Try using the IMAP protocol (in "Server type", other settings are automatic) and be sure to enable (check) the Idle/Push option (right-click, "Edit account..." in "General" tab to do this)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Coincidentally, I just changed ISPs to that provider... By "web client" I assume you mean your webbrowser? Or do they have some other app? I tested it with my webbrowser and deleting a message from the webbrowser is reflected by POP Peeper (using POP3; and looks like it should work with imap, too). Oh, wait, I misunderstood on my initial tests...

Ok, confirmed that deleting via POP3 from POP Peeper -- the message remains on the account. There may be a setting in your comcast account to change that behavior... yeah, there is: log into your email with webbrowser, click on the gear icon (top-right), go to "Advanced settings" and there's a "POP Settings for other apps" which you would change to "delete"

However, lakrsrool's suggestion is better -- switch to imap. I've tested it in imap and it works as expected. Imap is better overall. (be sure to change the server to imap.comcast.net)
idocsteve

Post by idocsteve »

Ok thank you that sounds like it will work.

I'll try it tonite.

And yes, not using a separate app just accessing the webmail via a browser. It often takes a long time to load and sometimes hangs up for minutes at a time regardless of which browser is used but not with Pop Peeper which retrieves messages without any lag.