Problems Since Update w/Gmail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
douglas9

Problems Since Update w/Gmail

Post by douglas9 »

Ever since the update to 4.3 have been getting "bad connection" error on all gmail accounts.......at intial check...or trying to view email itself....If i recheck the peeper works fine......in other words have to check twice to get my emails...Anyone else experiencing this annoyance....It worked fine at first check before i updated PP. There are no problems with any of my browsers viewing sites. TIA

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.0
Webmail: 4.2.5.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.0.1.0
Spell Checker: 4.0.1.0
Web of Trust: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
xxxxxx [1000: IMAP] ['imap.gmail.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.gmail.com' (465) SSL: 1]
Bad Connection
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Problems Since Update w/Gmail

Post by Jeff »

I haven't heard of this from anyone else and I can't think of anything that would have changed in v4.3 that might cause this. Assuming you updated from v4.2, the only IMAP-related change is:
- For Hotmail IMAP with IDLE, POP Peeper will keep-alive the connection every 2 minutes (server address must be imap-mail.outlook.com)
But that issue is so specific to Hotmail that it wouldn't affect gmail (and even if it did somehow affect gmail, it wouldn't cause this problem...)

Do you have any other IMAP accounts?
If so, do they consistently work in the same conditions?
If so, are your GMail-imap accounts lower in the Accounts List than your other imap accounts?
douglas9

Post by douglas9 »

Thanks for taking the time to address my issue.

Have no other IMAP accounts, but my gmail accounts top the list

Checking headers will intermittently will get the connection error, but rechecking will usually work and the email will be displayed....The error also appears when you try to view email from header check...There again if you click to check again the email will display properly. It is more of an annoyance than a "deal breaker" with PP....Just another step to view emails....

Checking actual accounts w/out PP there are no problems......

No problems viewing web sites with an assortment of browsers.

Thanks again...just will have to live with it....
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The first thing that I would recommend:
- edit your gmail account(s) and make sure that IDLE is enabled (bottom-right). This allows PP to stay connected to the server so you'll likely get fewer errors once it's able to connect. Although, if it's a poor connection, it's also more likely that the connection will be lost, so you'll just have to experiment

To get some possible information about why the connection isn't good, do the following:
- Open a command prompt (find it by typing 'command prompt' in the Windows start menu)
- type:
ping imap.gmail.com
press <enter> and you'll see something like this:

Code: Select all

Pinging gmail-imap.l.google.com [2607:f8b0:400e:c04::6d] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400e:c04::6d: time=39ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400e:c04::6d: time=47ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400e:c04::6d: time=40ms
Reply from 2607:f8b0:400e:c04::6d: time=40ms

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400e:c04::6d:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 47ms, Average = 41ms
The 'times' are the relevant information here and so let me know whe results of the very last line (minimum, maximum, average)
douglas9

Post by douglas9 »

Thanks again for your time....

Per your instructions have enabled the Idle/push on the gmail accounts. and received the results below when i pinged imap.gmail.com.

Should be noted a couple of times before i got those results received several messages "request timed out"...before i got the result below. Did several more pings and the average range from 29ms to 36ms and didn't receive the "timed out" message again......Using a cable connection.

Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 38ms, Average = 34ms

Another checked later showed....

Minimum=27, Maximum 172, Average= 64
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for mentioning the timeouts, that's actually much more relevant than the ping times #-o

The packet loss you're getting is definitely concerning and is the most likely reason you're getting the errors in POP Peeper. I've run several tests over the course of this morning and I didn't have a single lost packet.

Here's a typical result I had, which was 15-minute session:

Code: Select all

Ping statistics for 2607:f8b0:400e:c00::6c:
    Packets: Sent = 897, Received = 897, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Minimum = 39ms, Maximum = 60ms, Average = 40ms

It's hard to tell where your problem is at -- it could be your computer, your ISP or the google server. If you tell us what IP address your google server resolves to, I can do a ping and see if I get any packet loss, that may at least eliminate one possibility. The IP address is the "2607:f8b0:400e:c00::6c" part in my sample above (yours may look a little different, e.g. 123.456.78.90).

You may also want to get a larger sample test of the ping result, which you can do by adding '-t':
ping imap.gmail.com -t
it will then run until you stop it by pressing Ctrl+C. I wouldn't let it run too long, 10-15 minutes is more than sufficient.

Either way, I still expect that enabling IDLE will have positive results.
douglas9

Post by douglas9 »

Followed your instructions and enabled the idle/push function on the gmail accounts. My issue has been resolved...In two days only received the error message twice....Before it was happening about every other mail check.....

Thanks again for your time and patience....Pop Peeper is the best with no equal.......
mjs

Post by mjs »

douglas9 wrote:...In two days only received the error message twice....
This result may be due to "packet loss", that is specifically those "request timed out" errors you had mentioned you were sometimes getting could account for the remaining error messages that have occurred over the last two days (I can't recall getting any Gmail errors in many weeks). You might still consider having your ISP remotely check your connection to see how reliable it is since generally with a good connection you should not really be getting very many of those "request timed out" errors. :wink: Otherwise good news! =D>
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad it's working better!

And I agree with lakrsrool -- there does seem to be something wrong with your connection that could still be worth investigating. In my personal experience, of the big 3 free providers (gmail, hotmail, yahoo), gmail is easily the most reliable. I don't remember the last time I had an error with gmail's imap server.