hotmail.com not working via PP. Oauth2 issue?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: hotmail.com not working via PP. Oauth2 issue?

Post by Jeff »

tphil -- have you rebooted your computer since the problem started? If not, try doing that. If you have a router, you may need to reboot it, too.

If neither of those work:
1) type command prompt into the Windows start menu and open it
2) type:
ping imap-mail.outlook.com
and press <enter>

You should see something like this:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\username>ping imap-mail.outlook.com

Pinging imap.glbdns2.microsoft.com [207.46.11.202] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 207.46.11.202:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),
The important thing here is the first line:
"Pinging imap.glbdns2.microsoft.com [207.46.11.202] with 32 bytes of data"
which tells us -- in this example -- that we were able to resolve imap-mail.outlook.com to an IP address (207.46.11.202), and thus, it's not an "unknown host". (The "request timed out" is irrelevant in this case, some servers don't respond to ping requests). You don't need to copy/paste the result (it's a little tricky in command prompts), so just let us know if yours looks similar to this (you may get a different IP address).
tphil

Post by tphil »

Well, it's working now. Not sure why.

If anyone else has the same issue, In the end I deleted the auth2 permission and redid it, and that did the trick. Odd, as it had worked fine when I first did it.... Oh well!
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

I am also having issues getting Microsoft Mail. I went to account settings in PopPeeper and do not see OAuth2 button anywhere??
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello rtorella,

Sorry to hear of the issue you're having. Given the nature of it, I have contacted Jeff & asked him to review your post here. In the interim, until he and other members of the Esumsoft Team can further review your problem, please post back with the following:

1. Are you receiving an error message in POP Peeper?

(Look for the yellow-colored icon with an "!" mark in it, shown at the lower right corner of the PP main interface).

Click on the icon to open a window which displays the error message(s). Then, click on the [COPY] button at the bottom of the window, which places the info on your clipboard. In your next reply, you can right-click your mouse to paste the info into your post.

{CAUTION}: Be sure to obscure/edit any personally-identifiable information in the error message, such as, the part of your email address(es) shown before the "@" symbol. This is to prevent spambots from harvesting the info.

2. Are you able to log-in to the affected account(s) via your browser without any problems?

Thank you & Happy Holidays!
Global Moderator
rtorella

Post by rtorella »

Hi Pete!

Don't ask me why but I logged into Microsoft Mail account online. Went to my settings and everything looked ok except one recent setting change! Nothing in which I was aware of or requested with Microsoft. The setting was "allow mail programs to remove mail" or something like that. Just below the POP3 settings. Changed it to "allow" and saved. Then re-opened PopPeeper and we were back on track with accessing my Microsoft Mail. Not sure how or why THEIR setting changed but setting it back did the trick.

Thanks

Ray
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks for updating us, Ray, and glad you're back up and running! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That is strange -- that setting doesn't seem like it should be a factor...

btw, "OAuth2" is only available if your account in POP Peeper is set to use "IMAP" for the "Server type." And requires POP Peeper v4.2+
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

My hotmail.com account is working with the Hotmail/Outlook server but is not with the POP3 server.
My live.hk account is working with the POP3 server but is not with the Hotmail/Outlook server.
May I send you the login info so that you can have a look?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP3: Make sure that POP3 is enabled in your Hotmail account (POP3 is disabled by default).
WebMail: Log into the account with your webbrowser; log out and sign back in (you may need to acknowledge something or another); then check POP Peeper again.

If either account still has issues, then email me and we'll get it sorted.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

POP3 settings.jpg
The above is my POP3 settings.
Logging out and signing back in with my browser, which I already tried before, cannot solve any problems.
Should I email you my login data?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, I meant that POP3 is disabled by Hotmail, ie.
open http://www.hotmail.com/ in your webbrowser
Click the gear icon / options
Mail / Accounts / POP and IMAP
"Let devices and apps use POP" = Yes
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

The problems have been fixed. Thanks!
Protocol

Re: Hotmail.com Not Working Via PP. Oauth2 Issue?

Post by Protocol »

I am getting the "Unknown Host" error message on my Hotmail account using imap-mail.outlook.com and OAuth2.
Is it time to forget about IMAP and just use Hotmail/Outlook server type?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

An "unknown host" generally means there is a problem with your DNS server. Your DNS server converts names (e.g. imap-mail.outlook.com) into an IP address (e.g. 65.55.174.170). If your DNS server doesn't know the server name, then it reports an "unknown host." These kinds of things happen occasionally, but are usually very temporary, e.g. a few minutes, but certainly not more than 24 hours (else you need to find a different DNS server...). If it does continue to happen, you can try restarting Windows, as sometimes it will cache bad data.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I don't know how to find a different DNS server (I think it's automatic), but a reboot seems to have fixed it.

Thanks Jeff. :)
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol wrote:I don't know how to find a different DNS server (I think it's automatic), but a reboot seems to have fixed it.

Thanks Jeff. :)
As Jeff mentioned, a system reboot flushes the DNS Resolver Cache which will very often resolve these kinds of issues if persistent (i.e. corrupted DNS cache). It is also possible to use alternate public DNS Servers other than your providers default Network DNS Servers within the Control Panels System Network Connection settings (i.e. when rare instances of compatibility issues arise), but it is always best to use your default DNS by trying a system reboot or alternately run the Command Prompt "ipconfig /flushdns" as Administrator which will ultimately get the same results as a system reboot.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers