can not access unread messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dragan

can not access unread messages

Post by dragan »

Hello, I've been using POP peeper for many years checking my multiple accounts for new email messages without whatever issue. But recently I've updated to WIN 10 64bit and since then (if it's somehow related) I'm having this odd problem... POP peeper shows messages marked as unread but I can not access them either to read the or to mark them as read. I can access them through web browser though. Please share if there is a solution to this issue I'm having. Regards,
spc3rd

Re: can not access unread messages

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, dragan! :)

Sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing.
Your screenshot indicates all your email accounts in PP are being shown as password-protected. (Either via a password for each individual account, use of an Admin password, or both). To help us better assist you, please post back with your responses to the following:

1. Look at your screenshot, (in the Message List area), where it says "Double-click here to access messages".
What happens when you double-click there?

(Please provide as much detail as possible).

2. Which version of POP Peeper Pro are you using, and please confirm that all your plugins are up-to-date?

3. How are you accessing the accounts in POP Peeper?
(e.g. Webmail, POP3, IMAP).

[To determine this, right-click any account in the Account List on the left side of the PP main interface. In the menu displayed, select "Edit Account". In the window that opens, look at what is shown in the box beside "Server type"].

[Additional note]: Detailed information about password protection usage in POP Peeper can be found in the PP Program's Help Files. To view this info, please do the following:

A. Open PP, and click on the [HELP] tab at the top of the interface. A short menu will then be shown.

B. Click on "Contents".

C. In the window which opens, you will see a list of topics on the left side. Scroll down the list and click on "Password Protection", then click the [DISPLAY] button beneath the list.

You will now see the topic information shown on the right side of the window. Just scroll down the window to review all the information there.

*Jeff and other members of the Esumsoft Team should be stopping by later to review your topic & provide further help. (Since I use Win 7, I am uncertain if your upgrade to Windows 10 could be causing the issues you are having).

**Also, as you are a new member of the forum, we ask that you please take a few minutes to read the helpful information via the link below:

Information for new users and forum members

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To disable password protection:
- Edit the account (right-click on the account on the right-side and select "edit")
- Enter the password if prompted. If you don't know what password to use, try using the password that logs you into your account
- Uncheck "Password protected" on the bottom-middle of the 'General' page
Repeat for each account
dragan

Post by dragan »

Thank you very much for answering to this issue.

@spc3rd

Yes I'm using password protect for all my accounts with password for each individual account, I've done this since always.

1. When I double click where it says "Double-click here to access messages", it asks for my password and shows the account.
2. version 4.3, screenshot
3. I'm using POP 3 and IMAP.

@Jeff

I have disabled password protection, but I still can not access unread messages.

Just to be clear what I mean, these messages showing up as unread are not NEW messages, they are old messages but I can not access them through POP peeper. At first I thoth that it's related with junk view so I set it up to show All, but no success.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Take a look here in main PP interface (under "Messages"):
disable top option
disable top option
enable all messages.png (6.93 KiB) Viewed 7282 times
The top option should be checked, try temporarily disabling "display filters" (uncheck) to see if this helps, you will get the following explanation regarding what this does (click on image to improve readability):
What this does - should only be temporary setting
What this does - should only be temporary setting
Let us know if doing this makes a difference.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If disabling "display filters" does result in showing the messages, the most likely reason would be because the messages are marked as "hidden" (hidden messages will appear in italics when displayed).

Another possibility is if the accounts are retrieving "number of messages" instead of anything else (headers/preview/entire). This is under main menu: Tools / Options / Message Retrieval; or can be overridden per-account: edit the account and go to the 'advanced' page.
dragan

Post by dragan »

When I uncheck "Enable display filter" all messages are shown in the pane except those who I can not reach, those who are problematic from the beginning. For example if an account has total 10 messages, 2 of them are unread, in the pane are shown only 8 messages minus the two ones (previous picture Gmx 1 account)

Under: Tools / Options / Message Retrieval it is "Preview", it was checked "Webmail/imap - Use read status from server on initial retrival". I uncecked it now and nothing changed.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Since you updated to WIN 10 64bit (which you have said is when the problem started) have you tried exiting and restarting POP Peeper and/or done a computer reboot?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dragan

Post by dragan »

I have tried several times to restart pop peeper and I turn off computer every day.

Actually the problem appeard when I started using win 10 64bit, but on an another PC. The old PC that I was using had win XP 32bit and pop peeper was running perfectly. Unfortunately a month ago the motherboard broke down, so I got a new PC with win 10 64bit. Since I was perfectly satisfied with pop peeper, I installed it again but now I have this weird problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, it's possible that your account database(s) have an issue. I'm not sure if you've explicitly stated this, but I assume that you have 3 accounts with this issue (Gmail, Gmail1, Gmx1) -- is that correct?

1) Locate where PP is saving data files and open that folder in Windows Explorer:
a) main menu: Tools / Options / Storage
b) Refer to the 'Data path'
2) Exit POP Peeper (main menu: File / Exit)
3) Back in Windows Explorer, open the 'Gmx1' account (I'm selecting this because it has the fewest messages)
4) In this folder, there is a 'data.db' file -- rename it to 'data.db.test'
5) Restart POP Peeper -- you'll notice that Gmx1 has no messages. Go ahead and start the Mail Check if it hasn't already.

-> Do you now see all the messages for that account? If so, go ahead and do the same procedure for the other 2 accounts. If possible, I may be interested in seeing your original database file(s) which is why I had you rename it instead of simply deleting it.
dragan

Post by dragan »

Hello again,

Actually 4 of my accounts have issues. Previous picture gmail, gmail 1, gmx and gmx 1.

Renaming 'data.db' to 'data.db.test' did not changed anything. I had to update messages manually but it's the same.

But something else happened that came to my attention, I'm not sure if I can describe it though. When I renamed the file, I exited from program and restarted it again, then I noticed that there is one message shown from 2012 on gmx account, in the upper left corner of the window it showed eval: junk then I clicked on "reevaluate" and it showed eval: legit. Now I can access this message.

Then I started writing this post reply, and it came to my attention that in picture in post 1, gmx account has one unread (problematic) message, while picture in my second post the same account has no unread (problematic) messages. So I somehow sure that it has to be related with junk evaluation, is there a way to turn this feature off?
mjs

Post by mjs »

dragan wrote:...it has to be related with junk evaluation, is there a way to turn this feature off?
I do not think this is your problem, but to answer your question; from the PP main interface, go to "Tools" > "Plugins", uncheck the "AntiJunk" plugin to disable this function (plugin) and click "OK" to implement change.
Note that Jeff wrote:... I may be interested in seeing your original database file(s) which is why I had you rename it instead of simply deleting it.
... so keep in mind that Jeff will most likely still want to look further into this issue in regards to your database files.
dragan

Post by dragan »

Yes, you are right. Disabling junk filter did not changed anything.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

dragan wrote: then I noticed that there is one message shown from 2012 on gmx account, in the upper left corner of the window it showed eval: junk then I clicked on "reevaluate" and it showed eval: legit. Now I can access this message.
I am very confused by this statement and it makes me wonder if I'm not understanding what the problem is. What exactly do you mean by "access this message"? I had been assuming that the messages weren't even listed, but your above statement suggests that you're able to open this message (that's where you're getting the "eval: junk", right...?)
dragan wrote:Then I started writing this post reply, and it came to my attention that in picture in post 1, gmx account has one unread (problematic) message, while picture in my second post the same account has no unread (problematic) messages.
I had noticed that, too, and why I didn't realize it was one of the affected accounts (I assumed you had deleted it or something). In your first screenshot, that account had 343 total / 1 unread. In the next screenshot: 342 total / 0 unread. I doubt that it's coincidence that the total went down by 1, but I still need to understand what the problem is before I start following any suspicions.
dragan

Post by dragan »

Sometimes some of the affected messages appeared, I can explain how or why. This was very often when I installed pop peeper and started to configure accounts. When I updated all accounts, sure all messages were unread and I checked mark all as read. I've noticed that same messages again appeared as unread, then again I marked them as read but again they keep appearing as unread. Finally I deleted the messages that keep doing this. After this the remanied messages can not be accessed at all, these are those who appear now as problematic. Previous day that one message became accessible and I reevalulated it and marked as read, as I wrote before, and all was OK. Then I started looking into account and saw that actually I have done user evaluation as legit and put the sender's mail address into white list, I've realized this when I asked about junk filter, and then went into settings and see the configuration. Then I deleted that mail address from the white list and the message again appeared as unread and there was nothing I can do to make it not appear again as unread. Then I finally deleted the message. The message consisted only from a link to an article, nothing else. That why I said that I'm not sure if I can describe it. Hope that this will clarify something. Regards,
dragan

Post by dragan »

edit: I think that all account with problem are IMAP
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, this is very unusual, so at this point, all I can really do is offer some "try this" and perhaps we can learn something from the results.

- It looks like you have 8 accounts and you've stated that it affects the first 4 accounts. So the other 4 accounts are not affected? Are they dormant or active accounts? ie. if you send one of those other accounts a test message, does it work as expected?

- Try sending one of the affected accounts a test message (I recommend sending from a separate account, e.g. from 'Gmail' to 'Gmx1'). Does the problem occur with your test message?

- Try duplicating one of your affected accounts (I'd recommend 'Gmx1' since it appears to be the smallest). To duplicate the account, right-click and select "duplicate account" (if you don't see this, you need to enable advanced options under Tools / Options / General). When you edit the account, uncheck both "enabled" and "idle/push". Then, right-click on the duplicated account and select Check -> Headers. Does *this* account allow you to see the missing messages?

Also, would you be willing to send me your ini file so that I can review it and see if there are any options that we may be overlooking? The ini file does contain sensitive information such as your logins/passwords, but I will respect this privacy and delete the file after finishing the investigation. Do not attach this file in the forum, I'll provide further instructions if you're willing to send this file to me.
dragan

Post by dragan »

Hello again and really thanks for your help!

Yes all of my account are active and fully functional, I can check all new incoming mail.

Duplicating the account did the trick! I can access all messages:

duplicated with the problematic message:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, that's good!

Do you still have the original account in PP? I'd still like to get to the bottom of this mystery if possible.

One idea did occur to me that I don't think we mentioned before:
- edit the original account
- select the 'advanced' page
- Is "hide messages from all accounts" set to something (default is "none")
dragan

Post by dragan »

Yes, I have both of them. Infact I did a copy from the "Gmail 1" account which is with most problematic messages in the same way and it works OK now. I have the original and the copied accounts, just say what you need.

Hide messages from all accounts - set to NONE on both accounts (original and copy)