Sort account names

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ata

Sort account names

Post by ata »

Is there a way to sort Account names other than in alphabetical order?
mjs

Re: Sort account names

Post by mjs »

Not that I am aware of, but then depending upon how you want your accounts listed the order can be impacted in the way you name your accounts in PP.

I'm curious, (other than alphabetical by local username address presumably) what order did you have in mind? :?

I ask this because if you had in mind accounts ordered by host/domain with username part of address (local-part) ordered within host/domain for example you could accomplish this by naming all accounts starting with domain and then username (local-part) address. This way all Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail accounts would be first ordered by the respective domains with username (local-part) addresses ordered within domain. And if you wanted the domain and username (local-part) addresses aligned (to improve appearance) you could keep the domain designation the same size (i.e. one character).

Example - If you have Gmail, Fastmail, Hotmail, Mail.com, Outlook, Rocketmail, Virusfreemail accounts (domains) your accounts list would look like this:

Code: Select all

G George
G Mike
G Tim
F Bob
F Sally
H Carl
H Melanie
M Gary
M Sheri
M Vickie
O Barry
O Bob
O Valarie
R Alfred
R Jeff
R Pete
V Dave
V Don
V Doug
V Lisa
Other than the common practice of listing accounts alphabetically by email username address I can't think of another possible desired outcome than the above alternative (which is the default for some other Email Clients :idea:). Personally I find alphabetic by username (local-part) address works as good as any other. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

lakrsrool wrote: what order did you have in mind? :?
In numerical order. For example:
1.Yahoo
2.Rocketmail
3.Gmail
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To add to Matthew's answer: if you have more than 9 accounts, you should prepend the number with 0:
01 Yahoo
02 Rocketmail
03 Gmail
10 Hotmail

Otherwise, the order won't be what you want.

fyi, user-defined ordering is on the todo list...
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yep, ordering by number is certainly a viable option I didn't consider which allows the user to list accounts in any order they so choose.... \:D/
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers