Office 365 w/ Exchange question

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
orcsoul

Office 365 w/ Exchange question

Post by orcsoul »

I am currently having some troubles accessing an exchange-based Office 365 deployment.

To date I have been using IMAP + SMTP to access the server with poor results (Constant auth errors interspersed with short periods of full functionality).

Recently I was told to switch over to Exchange rather than using pure IMAP.

I assume in POP Peeper the Hotmail/Outlook option is what I'm looking for here with regards to switching from IMAP to "Exchange"?

(I've never heard of anybody refer to Exchange, as opposed to EAS, as its own protocol, which is where my confusion comes from, as well as doubts as to the knowledge of the "technical support" that provided this information... to my mind I should be accessing an exchange server via IMAP)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Office 365 w/ Exchange question

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper does not directly support EAS -- it's a patented technology which requires a license from MS to implement in client software.

If imap has issues, I'm not sure that I would expect much better performance with EAS. Have you tried an EAS client (ie. Outlook) from the same location?

Also, as far as imap is concerned in POP Peeper, I don't know if Exchange servers support the Imap IDLE feature, but that *may* help alleviate some of the issues. Edit the account in PP and look for the "idle/push" option on the bottom-right of the general page.

Also, you may want to take a look at this:
http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3819
orcsoul

Re: Office 365 w/ Exchange question

Post by orcsoul »

Appreciate the response.

Yea I've been using the IDLE/Push notification setting for some time to no visible improvement unfortunately.

I did see the link you posted, and it's likely something I'll be forced to try when I get some time to set it up.