Bit of a problem today - MalwareBytes

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
photocycle

Bit of a problem today - MalwareBytes

Post by photocycle »

For some strange reason, yesterday, MalwareBytes decided poppeeper was bad and deleted the .exe file! I re-installed it and last night it did it again!

I reinstalled it again but this time, a popup asked me for my license. I entered it and it said it was invalid.

I visited the website and requested my registration number thinking I must have written it down wrong.

I got an email with my registration and entered that and it also came up invalid!

Then I used the link in the email to download a fresh copy and installed it.

I entered the registration again, with copy paste to avoid error, and it also came up invalid!

Can you please tell me what I need to do next?

In the meantime, I opened MalwareBytes and made an exception for Poppeeper for the future. Hopefully that won't happen again
spc3rd

Re: Bit of a problem today - MalwareBytes

Post by spc3rd »

Hello photocycle,

A few days ago there were a couple of us who experienced a somewhat similar issue involving Malwarebytes (MBAM for short). The issue had been determined to be the result of MBAM detecting PP as a false positive, and was corrected at that time.

Given the specific circumstances you are having (which are slightly different than what I and another member experienced), I am going to recommend you send an email to Jeff via the Esumsoft Support Contact Form.

Explain in the email exactly what you have posted here, as well as, including which version of Malwarebytes you are using (e.g. v2.2.1.1043, v3.0, 3.05, 3.06, etc), and which version of POP Peeper you're using. Also, let Jeff know you have posted a topic here as well. (I have already contacted him to expect your email).

Thank you and best regards,
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Regarding the registration, are you also entering the correct email address (used when registered)?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
perzaklie

Post by perzaklie »

Ok, thanks much for the reply!

As for my email, yes, I entered the email address in the reply I got back from esumsoft which included my licensing details.

I requested they send me my licensing details in the event I had recorded it incorrectly.

They responded with an email with my email address and license number. That is what I entered to register that was then shown as invalid.

I'm sure I have missed a step somewhere along the line.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

perzaklie,

Thank you for the info in your reply above.

Please note the following:

When you create a new topic under one username, any subsequent replies to the topic by you (the topic starter) should be made under the same username you used to start the topic with.
Posting a reply in the manner you have in this instance, (i.e. using a different username) can be confusing to both the Esumsoft Team and other forum members.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Note: I'm also sending message this via email; please respond via email and there's no need to reply here.

Regarding the immediate problem (not activating) -- I found your license under the email address of your new forum username -- so I see what you did there ;) I can see that it was successfully activated on the server-side, so there might be something wrong on your end and I suspect I might know what. From the main menu, can you select Tools / Options; then select the 'storage' page and let us know what the "data path" says.

As for the malwarebytes false positive -- can you double-check that it's still a problem? As virustotal is not reporting anything:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/4eed ... 485886036/

Make sure that you've updated the malwarebytes definitions.

What I recommend is that you go to where POP Peeper is installed, e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
then make a copy of the poppeeper.exe file; right-click on the copy of the file and there should be an option to scan it with malwarebytes. If it does come up with a report (I'm not sure that it will since you've whitelisted it), let us know what virus it is detected as.