How does it work if I click spam link?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
techmanc

How does it work if I click spam link?

Post by techmanc »

I was curious if I click a link from a spam message an go to that site what info does the site get I was mainly concerned that they would get my email address to add to their spam email link? TIA!
spc3rd

Re: How does it work if I click spam link?

Post by spc3rd »

Hello techmanc,

Clicking on any links within an obvious spam email carries significant security/privacy risks. The fact that you received a spam message at all, should raise a red flag, so-to-speak! Aside from your email address, a spam website can also easily get your IP address. With that, it's possible for a spammer to locate you geographically.

In addition, to what a spam/scam website can get from you......it's equally-significant as to what you may get from them, such as, various types of nasty malware infections (Trojans, worms, ransomware, etc).

There are a great many articles available on the Internet which go into more detail than I can here, about the risks of clicking on such links. I would suggest you perform an Internet search on this subject. Although I don't often get spam emails, I never click on any links within them, nor open any attachments.

Perhaps other members of the Esumsoft Team will drop by and offer you further feedback.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: How does it work if I click spam link?

Post by Jeff »

There is not a direct action between links you click on and what the URLBL found; although this is planned for a future release. However, links that you click on *are* evaluated by Web of Trust, so there is still some protection.

As to your question about whether they could get your email address -- if the URL contains your email address, then yes. But, by using "web bugs" you don't even have to click on a link for them to get your email address; simply viewing an (invisible) image in the email could include your email address. This is why POP Peeper hides images by default.