Gmail: Focused and Other inbox

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
viviand

Gmail: Focused and Other inbox

Post by viviand »

'morning,

I installed PopPeeper on a friend's s PC last week (latest version of PP and he runs Win 7). He is having problems with the retrieval of his inbox for his Gmail account (no problems with Hotmail account). It appears only the "focused" emails are coming through and not those deemed "other". Is there a way to let PopPeeper retrieve all his inbox without turning off the feature on the Gmail website?

Thanks in advance for your help.
V
mjs

Re: Gmail: Focused and Other inbox

Post by mjs »

Hi viviand,

To clarify, I presume the problem you are describing involves Gmail labels (the "tabs" displayed in the inbox above the list of messages) and that in this case only the messages in the "Primary" tab reach the POP Peeper inbox as opposed to "other" labeled messages that do not show up in the POP Peeper inbox i.e. a "Social" tab as an example.

If I understand your issue correctly, while I do not personally use Gmail I do on the other hand have an account for testing purposes. Upon testing this, I can say that in my case I do get messages in POP Peeper from both my "Primary" and "Social" messages for my Gmail "test" account. So POP Peeper should not have any problem using the labels feature in Gmail (assuming I am understanding your issue correctly).

What I would like you to try is to exit and restart POP Peeper (to "exit" PP, right-click on the PP tray icon and select "Exit"). If this does not help then try a shut-down and reboot of the Windows7 Operating System.

Let us know if either of the above helps.

Other members of The Esumsoft Team should be along later to further review your topic and provide additional feedback, in the meantime not that this would make a difference necessarily (which I frankly do not think is the case) please answer the following questions.

1) What "Server type" are you using? (i.e. "Webmail", IMAP or POP3), to check this edit the account (right-click on the account in the left pane of the Pop Peeper main page) click on "Edit", then make sure your on the "General" tab and post the "Server type" setting you see on this page.

2) Since this is "fresh" POP Peeper install you should have all the most current versions, one question however; did you install the SSL Plugin?

3) Are you getting an error? If so then please post the error information for this problem account. To do this, click on the Yellow Exclamation icon in lower right corner of Pop Peeper main interface, click the "Copy" button and paste this information to this topic (place cursor in your reply, right-click and select "Paste").

Thanks
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Make sure that the 'server type' (that lakrsrool mentioned in question #1 above) is set to 'imap' -- if it's set to 'gmail' then you won't see the other tabs (see correction, below). The imap protocol does not get affected by the social/etc tabs.

btw, you mentioned "focused" and "other" which are the terminology used by Hotmail/Outlook. My account doesn't seem to have this feature yet, but if you did intend the question for the hotmail account, the above should still apply (ie. use "imap" instead of "Hotmail/outlook" for the server type).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool emailed me about my previous post stating that webmail wouldn't see messages in the filtered tabs; it turns out that my previous statement was wrong. Using "gmail" as the "server type" *does* display messages from the tabs. So it doesn't really seem that it matters which method you're using (although I haven't tested POP3), those messages should still be included. But, again, we've only confirmed this with gmail, so we'll need more information from you.