About Pro & Plus pluginns

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Gainer

About Pro & Plus pluginns

Post by Gainer »

Before I purchase...

I like all the features of Pro & the Plus Pack with the exception of WOT. Can it be deactivated, at least for now? Who knows, I may change my mind and want to use it sometime in the future.

Regarding the use of the Command Line for Scheduled Backups. I searched for "schedule" in the help files and found 10 topics of "schedule", but nothing on scheduling a backup. Does the syntax become available with the purchase of the Plus Pack?

Thank you
mjs

Re: About Pro & Plus pluginns

Post by mjs »

Gainer wrote:Before I purchase...

I like all the features of Pro & the Plus Pack with the exception of WOT. Can it be deactivated, at least for now? Who knows, I may change my mind and want to use it sometime in the future.
I'll post what I know on this (there may be other ways to disable WOT) which is to say there is one way to disable WOT and that is to disable the WOT plugin by unchecking the "Web of Trust" plugin in "Tools" > "Plugins" (from the main PP menu).
Gainer wrote: Regarding the use of the Command Line for Scheduled Backups. I searched for "schedule" in the help files and found 10 topics of "schedule", but nothing on scheduling a backup. Does the syntax become available with the purchase of the Plus Pack?
Here is some "Help" regarding your question found in the main PP menu under "Help" > "Contents" > "Index" tab (click on image to enlarge for improved readability):
Backups Help.png
... other members of the Esumsoft Team may have additional input regarding your questions. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, you can disable the WOT plugin as lakrsrool described.

Just to clarify on the WOT situation -- only WOT's toolbar was affected. Specifically, POP Peeper only sends the domain name to be verified and so does not contain any personal information. For example, if the url in your email is something like:
http://www.example.com/?your_email_address
then POP Peeper only sends "example.com" to WOT to be verified. However, I completely understand the decision to disable WOT.

To access the help that lakrsrool mentioned from the Help Contents:
POP Peeper Plus Pack / Backup/Restore Utility;
You can then click on "command-line options"

However, be aware that the backup utility cannot backup files that are currently in use. So if POP Peeper is running when the backup occurs, any database files (such as the file(s) containing the messages in your accounts) will not be backed up. This information is missing from the current help file (this behavior changed in v4) but has now been added for future releases.
Gainer

Post by Gainer »

Thank you lakrsrool & Jeff :D

I am really focused on backing up emails. (anything else is a real plus as I am tracking over 60 email addresses and soon to increase).

I use Pop Pepper as a portable program. So, I am to exit Pop Peeper before a scheduled back up. Emails that I was viewing and everything thing else will be zipped up in one compressed file.

Under Tools->Options->Storage my Ini Location and data path are both hard-coded to locations within my main PopPeeperPortable folder. If I Restore to a different computer/device how does that affect my data, emails, etc, since PopPeeperPortable will not be able to access my flashdrive.

Thank you in advance

-g-
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Gainer wrote:I use Pop Pepper as a portable program. So, I am to exit Pop Peeper before a scheduled back up. Emails that I was viewing and everything thing else will be zipped up in one compressed file.
Correct. It saves to a standard zip file, so you can easily view the contents after the backup is complete.

Gainer wrote: Under Tools->Options->Storage my Ini Location and data path are both hard-coded to locations within my main PopPeeperPortable folder. If I Restore to a different computer/device how does that affect my data, emails, etc, since PopPeeperPortable will not be able to access my flashdrive.
Only the "Ini location" is read-only; you can change the "data path". And whether or not PP will be able to find your data files on a difference device really depends on what the "data path" currently is. Although, as long as you didn't change it manually -- and since you've mentioned "portable" I assume it's currently set to "data" -- then PP will be able to find it.

For example, if the "data path" is set to "data" (which is the default folder for "portable" installations), and on your first computer PP is installed to:
C:\PP\
then the full path for the "data path" is:
C:\PP\data\

If you move that folder to a flash drive on another computer, the drive letter won't matter:
F:\PP\
and PP will still find the "data path" folder under:
F:\PP\data\

Hope that makes sense :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Forgot to mention this in my previous reply --
The reason you can't change the "ini location" is because POP Peeper has to know where to look for it. You can't just move the ini file to some random folder and expect PP to be able to find it (there are 2 pre-defined locations where PP looks for ini files: the current folder and the AppData\POP Peeper folder). However, the ini file can be specified on the command-line if you really wanted to move it. Look in the help under:
General information / Using the ini files