Error (Send)

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjs

Re: Error (Send)

Post by mjs »

tphil wrote:
--- Error ---
XXXXXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap-mail.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Error (Send)
tphil - Thanks for providing the Error Overview information, this is as always very helpful. Image

With this information I can say that for this account you are using IMAP, so the Webmail plugin has nothing to do with this account. It was just coincidence that errors cleared for a while after updating the Webmail plugin.

It happens that it is the Outlook (Microsoft) Email Client using IMAP Servers that is having all the issues and is why you are now getting errors again. That specific error is because PP hasn't yet detected that a connection is broken due to the problems with Outlook IMAP Servers so PP still tries to *send* a command which then produces this PP error.

For more information on this you can go HERE for additional details that are updated when new information becomes available.

Btw, there is an alpha version that has had very good results if you're interested (please carefully read post linked here): http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... pha#p34151

Addendum: a recent update in the first link posted above by scrolling down to the bottom of the topic (or click HERE to go directly to the post) provides additional information on this alpha version.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
metl_brown

Post by metl_brown »

- Seems that Outlook has implemented a feature in their Inbox called Focused Inbox. I'm not sure whether this is directly causing all of the chaos with the IMAP feature in PP, but it had been an annoyance to me when I logged directly into Outlook.com.
- Did some digging into Settings->Mail Settings->Display Settings, found and selected "Focused Inbox" and turned the Sort feature OFF ("Don't sort messages"). A few minutes later, PP was receiving all of my back Hotmail email and the "Error(Send)" indicator was gone.
- It may be something you want to check into....

Thanks for the forum!
METL
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This theory was also presented here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... =60#p34170

As I mentioned there, the result is most likely coincidental. The reason for this statement is that many errors occur before the login process, at which point Outlook doesn't even know which account you're accessing, let alone whether "focused inbox" is enabled or not.

Also, "focused inbox" is not a part of imap. That is an internal feature specific to Outlook. So, IF focused inbox is relevant to the problem, it's something that only Outlook can address. The only way that I can see that focused inbox would be relevant is if it is somehow putting additional strain on some resources (which could also explain why there's a general problem with connectivity). However, as far as IMAP is concerned, "focused inbox" should be disabled from a practical standpoint as it's not a factor (ie. you'll get messages from the "other" folder, too); although, it wouldn't be the first time a programmer did something stupid (certainly not talking from personal experience :-= )

Over the past week or so, I've been running a test with 2 of my Hotmail accounts. It turns out that one of them has focused inbox enabled and the other doesn't even have the option. They both get lots of errors.

But, keep us posted, I don't mind being proven wrong :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also: keep in mind that the errors seem to get diminish toward the end of the U.S. work day (ie. right now), which suggests that the problem may be resource related (less people using their servers).
tphil

Post by tphil »

I would just add....
DOES seem better overall since I updated the webmail albeit still some 'send error' messages, and I notice your earlier poster also had the outdated version of webmail...? Maybe worth updating.
tphil

Post by tphil »

Sorry - hadn't noticed all the posts inbetween.

Just the joys of using Hotmail then #-o
mjs

Post by mjs »

tphil wrote: Just the joys of using Hotmail then #-o
Have no fear, at some point the alpha release will be an "official" web release. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers