Error Retreiving Message

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

Error Retreiving Message

Post by bbqbrisket »

I have a new issue with multiple hotmail accts.
After retreiving the original message and saving in PP, when trying to reopen it, it comes up with "Error Retreiving Message" in red at the bottom.

Appreciate any help.
thanks
mjs

Re: Error Retreiving Message

Post by mjs »

Do you mean by "saving in PP" that you just kept the message in the PP inbox?

See what happens when you click on "File" > "Re-download message" in the View Message window where you get the error.

If the issue persists, try going to the main PP interface, right-click on the message and select "Remove from list". Then do another Mail Check and then see what results you get reading the message.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also: what method are you using to access the hotmail account (imap, pop3 or hotmail/outlook)?
And are you saving "entire messages" -- main menu: Tools / Options; Storage; Storage = entire message
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Hi Jeff,
By saving in PP, I mean that after reading the email I do not "delete" it.
But when I re-open it up, it shows "error retrieving" at the the bottom in red. I have tried to reload the message and it showw up in green at the bottom "retrieving" but then goes back into the error in red.

As for the PP interace, I don't see anything when I do a right click on the message that says "Remove from list". I do see a "delete".
I have switched out between various access including POP3, IMAP and Hotmail.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi bbqbrisket,

While awaiting Jeff's return to further assist you, I'll mention something to check - with regard to not seeing the "Remove from list" option when you right-click on a message in POP Peeper's message list.

Do you have the "Advanced options" box ticked?
([TOOLS] > [OPTIONS] > [GENERAL])

If not, try check-marking the box, click the [OK] button, exit and restart PP, then see if the "Remove from list" option appears on the message context menu when you right-click on the message again.

[When I un-tick the "Advanced Options" box in my own PP program, I will experience the same thing you are]

Hope this helps.
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

More than likely, the problem is with the recent issues that Hotmail has been having lately. Historically, imap is the least reliable (as far as Hotmail is concerned), but I've also been told that direct access to hotmail.com has been affected, so you may just need to wait it out.

Also, be aware that when you switch protocols, the existing message data does not transfer to the new protocol so PP has to retrieve them all again. And, by default, PP only retrieves the headers for webmail and imap for already-read messages, which is why it would be necessary to download them again.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Ok...on the "advanced options" check box...I did not have before so now the "remove" shows....thanks for that.
As for the message that doesn't show up aka "error retreiving"....when I go directly in Hotmail, it's there.
Ok...I undertand the Hm issues...thanks
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

BTW, Jeff,
After over 8 years I have had PP., I still do not get messages from PP when I post even though I select " Notify me when a reply is posted".
Don't know why that has never been corrected. To see any reply to my posts, I have to always go directly into PP forum. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple time but no avail.
thanks
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket wrote:BTW, Jeff,
After over 8 years I have had PP., I still do not get messages from PP when I post even though I select " Notify me when a reply is posted".
Don't know why that has never been corrected. To see any reply to my posts, I have to always go directly into PP forum. I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple time but no avail.
thanks
Click HERE for information on subscribing to a forum topic that was a reply to your query on this subject in July of last year :wink:. There has been a problem with this function recently which has been reportedly fixed as posted HERE.

Note: if you have subscribe set this way:
subscribed.png
subscribed.png (4.23 KiB) Viewed 4984 times
you should be okay. Keep in mind that the Board will only send ONE notification for any replies to your topic subscribed to, that is until you log-in to the PP Forums again.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

And to clarify: the forum notification has absolutely nothing to do with POP Peeper. If you're not getting notifications, is more likely being blocked by anti-spam or something.

I just learned how to send a message via the forum to users, so I'll use that to send a single message to both you and myself. I'll let you know if I receive it.

Ok, I received it almost immediately.
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Re message notifice from PP forum, when looking at spam folder, there is nothing in there from PP forum. I will keep working on it from my end.
As for the original problem on error Retreiving Message, after alot of Hotmail problems, I found out that the IMAP OAUTH2 was the issue.
It looks like Hotmail is periodically, and this time with 3 of my Hotmail accounts, needed to be re-authorized. So, after doing so, there are no "Error Retreiving Messsage" indicators.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

bbqbrisket wrote:Re message notifice from PP forum, when looking at spam folder, there is nothing in there from PP forum. I will keep working on it from my end...
Hi bbqbrisket,

Two other things you can check are: (1) - look in your User Control Panel > Board preferences > Edit Notification Options, and see if what is displayed there matches what is shown within the red rectangle in the screenshot below:
Editing Board Notification Options for topic replies
Editing Board Notification Options for topic replies
(Click image to enlarge)

If the box for email notification is not ticked, try check-marking it, then click the [SUBMIT] button at the bottom right of the page. Next, log-out of the Forums, then log back in, and continue with whatever activity you were doing.
After logging-out of the Forums again, just monitor your email account (the one you have designated to receive email notifications from the Board at) for a while.

Let us know if you finally begin receiving notifications of replies to topics you have subscribed to. (Remembering what lakrsrool mentioned, i.e. the Board will only send you 1 notification of any replies, until you log-in to the Forums again).

And, (2) - in your User Control Panel > Overview > Manage subscriptions,
look to see if the topics you are subscribed to are being shown there. (See the red rectangle in the screenshot below. NOTE: in the image I posted, I'm not subscribed to any topics, so it shows that fact).
Verifying topics you are subscribed to via the User Control Panel
Verifying topics you are subscribed to via the User Control Panel
(Click image to enlarge)

If you do not see any of the topics you are subscribed to, let us know this also.

Best regards,
Global Moderator