I'm getting notifications even if PP is put on timer

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
baconcheddar

I'm getting notifications even if PP is put on timer

Post by baconcheddar »

For example, I've set it at 60 minutes refresh but 10 or 30 minutes later,
I get notified that new emails have come in. :?:

Thanks!
mjs

Re: I'm getting notifications even if PP is put on timer

Post by mjs »

If you have any accounts that are setup to use IMAP with IDLE enabled then this would be why you would get messages other than when you have scheduled (Polling Interval) Mail Checks occur because these accounts would send (push) messages to your inbox when they reach the specific accounts server.

What type of accounts do you have (Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail etc for example)? Some account types do not support IDLE is why I ask.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Ah, now I get it! :D

I don't even remember checking that box. I'll just uncheck them all then.

Respect.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Actually depending upon what type of account you are using, i.e. Outlook, Yahoo, Gmail etc. (which is why I asked that question, but did not get a reply), it is generally recommended to enable (check) IDLE for IMAP accounts, aside from the current MSN exception, as explained HERE by Jeff:
Jeff wrote:If you do switch to IMAP, Edit the account and just change the "server type" to IMAP; also, make sure that you enable "IDLE/Push" on the bottom-right, as this can often reduce errors associated with logging in (because PP doesn't have to login as frequently when using idle).
... which happens to actually be a tangential benefit beyond the purpose of IDLE. But then if you don't want messages arriving in the POP Peeper inbox at the time they are available then that is your choice of course. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Oh, all my accounts are Gmailed hu hu...
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

But it was just something I noticed as of today. Usually, all my accounts are on the 1-minute refresh anyway.
mjs

Post by mjs »

baconcheddar wrote:Oh, all my accounts are Gmailed hu hu...
Tnanks for that information, with Gmail the IDLE protocol is supported so it is purely up to you if you want to receive your new messages at the time they arrive on the Gmail Servers as opposed to only getting new messages when your Polling Interval Mail Checks occur. As I pointed out it is generally recommended that IDLE be used with IMAP but it is nevertheless entirely your choice. In some cases IMAP works better with IDLE enabled and as mentioned previously, reduces the frequency of log-in attempts as a side benefit as well. I personally use IDLE with my Gmail IMAP accounts.
mjs

Post by mjs »

baconcheddar wrote:But it was just something I noticed as of today. Usually, all my accounts are on the 1-minute refresh anyway.
Please clarify what you mean by "refresh", you had previously posted "60 minutes refresh" and I assumed that your meaning was what your Mail Check Polling Interval setting was set at in "Tools" > "Options" > "Mail Check" of the main POP Peeper interface.
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

Yes: tools > options >mail check > 60 minutes
mjs

Post by mjs »

baconcheddar wrote:Yes: tools > options >mail check > 60 minutes
Okay, I think it may be helpful and avoid any confusion there may be for you to go over the advantage there would for you to have IDLE enabled (checked) for your Gmail account(s).

But as a precursor to this in order to get a better understanding, I'll elaborate a bit on just the basic concepts of what happens when messages are sent to you and how and when you will receive them, of which you may admittedly already know. Put simply, when a message is sent to you it goes from the sending accounts server to your accounts server. How quickly that message reaches your POP Peeper Inbox will depend upon the protocol you use, i.e. using IDLE the message will arrive in your POP Peeper at the very time the message arrives on your accounts server as opposed to not using IDLE which in that case the message will arrive in your POP Peeper Inbox at the time when POP Peeper does a Mail Check.

So with that in mind, let us in very simple terms go over two different examples that would occur for you using the Mail Check settings you have.

Example 1) If you do not use (check) IDLE for your Gmail accounts using IMAP:
After POP Peeper does a Mail Check of your Gmail account(s) and then if any more new messages are sent to you they will remain on your accounts server until the next POP Peeper Mail Check is performed and requests them from the server so you will not get them in your POP Peeper account(s) Inbox until one hour has passed since the last Mail Check at which time POP Peeper does the next Mail Check.

Example 2) If you do use (check) IDLE for your Gmail accounts using IMAP:
After POP Peeper does a Mail Check for your Gmail account(s) and then if any more new messages are sent to you after that you will get the messages each and every time a message is sent to you as soon as it arrives at your accounts server so you would not be waiting up to one hour for the next Mail Check to occur to get your new messages.

Hopefully that clarifies what you were asking about in the beginning in regards to messages arriving in your POP Peeper inbox at various times and perhaps explains in better terms the advantage of using IDLE for IMAP accounts. In one case, without using IDLE a potential delay getting a new message in your POP Peeper account for up to one hour can occur since the last hourly Mail Check. In the other case, with using IDLE any delay will be virtually negligible since the new message will reach the POP Peeper Inbox as soon as it reaches your accounts server receiving the new message which will always vary according to the time when the message was sent to you (which you may not care for perhaps).
baconcheddar

Post by baconcheddar »

I have put them all back to "idle". :mrgreen: