POPPeeper crashing with a Runtime Error

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
lm555cn

POPPeeper crashing with a Runtime Error

Post by lm555cn »

POPPeeper v4.3 is crashing showing a window with the following message:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Runtime Error!

Program C:\POP Peeper\POPPeeper.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The program loads fine and stays like that, until it starts checking for new emails, at which point it crashes and shows the previous message window.

I've tried to install POPPeeper 4.3 again but get the same results. I don't know if it has to do something with my email accounts, since I made them portable for easy transfer.

I appreciate any help.
spc3rd

Re: POPPeeper crashing with a Runtime Error

Post by spc3rd »

Hello lm555cn,

Sorry to hear of the problem you're reporting. To help us better assist you, please review the following questions/information and provide responses in your next post. (NOTE: The information below was provided by Jeff to another member last year who experienced a similar "Runtime" issue as yours):

1) Since you have indicated the problem occurs when PP checks mail, instead of allowing it to check mail on its own, try this:
a) First, disable auto-check by pressing the green button on the bottom-right of the main PP window, it will turn red to indicate Auto-Check is disabled
b) Right-click on your first account and select "Check Mail" -- Wait for it to finish (or crash); if it doesn't crash, do the same with the next account and do so for each account until you find one that crashes
c) When/If you find one that crashes, is there any special about that account? e.g. Was it the very first account you tested (if so, try again on the 2nd account to see if it crashes or not)? Does that account have the most messages and/or very large messages? What type of account is it (edit the account and refer to the "server type" -- it may be IMAP or POP3 or Hotmail or GMail, etc.)"
d) What operating system are you using?

One more question to add to the above list, which is geared more toward a specific reason why PP may be crashing:

- On the Accounts list, in the whitespace *below* your last account, right-click and select "Server info (all)"
--> if you don't see this option, from the main menu, select Tools / Options; on the "General" page, enable "Advanced Options" (top-right)
--> also, make sure that the option you select includes "(all)" -- otherwise, it's information for a specific account and we do not want that.
- Select and copy the text in the window, it will look something like this:

Server size: 459733 KB
File size: 327012 KB

Last DB Maint (global): 08/18/16 14:27:16 (34 days)

Jeff and other members of the Esumsoft Team will be dropping by later to further review the issue you are reporting and provide additional feedback.

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Pete already asked the specific question that immediately came to mind, which is the "server info."

If the value of "file size" is anywhere near 1,000,000 then that is almost certainly the reason for the crashing and, fortunately, has been addressed in v4.4. You can download the latest v4.4 beta here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper-beta/
and you'll see that the very first bullet point is "Database and memory optimization... uses less RAM" which is what will affect you.

After you install v4.4, I'd ask that you re-check "server info" and, this time, refer to the new value of "Mem size" which will be significantly lower compared to the "file size" from v4.3.

Let us know what your "filesize" (in v4.3) and "mem size" (in v4.4) are and also whether v4.4 fixes the problem for you or not.
lm555cn

Post by lm555cn »

Thank you for the prompt response Jeff.

Following are the results regarding the "server info":

1) POPPeeper v4.3
Server size: 3619749 KB
File size: 1495870 KB

2) POPPeeper v4.4 (beta)
Server size: 3619749 KB
Mem size: 202193 KB
File size: 1806077 KB
------------------------------------

Doing the steps you outlined, when I still had POPPeeper Pro v4.3, one account was indeed provoking the runtime error to show. And as you predicted, this account had a lot of emails, even thougj the contents of the emails were not so big.

I checked my Email accounts after installing the beta version using "manual" mode (doing it one by one by hand) and also in "automatic" mode. In both cases the problem seems to have disappeared.

Thank you very much! :D

P.S. - If you need any additional data or file let me know, even I have to go back to v4.3 to help with the upcoming v4.4.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad that fixed it!

I'm actually *very* curious to know how many messages you have... The "mem size" is mostly based on the size of the header data for the messages, so if I extrapolate the data from my own server info:
Server size: 430801 KB
Mem size: 16555 KB
File size: 419795 KB

that yields an average of about 1.5KB per message (16555KB/10883). For the sake of estimating, let's take an average of 5KB. With your "mem size" of 202193KB, that would be about 40,000 messages; or at the 1.5KB size per message: about 135,000 messages.

Am I in the ballpark? :)
lm555cn

Post by lm555cn »

Why, you definitely are!! =D>
The total number of messages is 71,578.

So, making the extrapolation with your formula (202,279 / 71,578) and the info given by POPPeeper v4.4 beta, each header size would be around 2.83Kb per message.

My Server info [all accounts]
Mem size: 202279 KB
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

And since we're having so much fun with math, I can tell that you've gained about 30 messages since the day before ;)
lm555cn

Post by lm555cn »

Right again!! :wink:

Thanks a lot for all your help. EXCELLENT SUPPORT !!