Wrong Time in PP

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dosser

Wrong Time in PP

Post by dosser »

I get emails in several accounts at e.g. 18:30 but PP shoes 20:30 ?

Where and how can i fix this ?

regards
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Wrong Time in PP

Post by Jeff »

What types of accounts are they (edit the account and refer to the 'server type')?

And a couple of suggestions:
1) Make sure that the time-zone and dst are set correctly on your system
2) If the server type is not imap or pop3, then log into the specific account with your webbrowser and make sure that the times are displayed correctly in your inbox -- you may need to update your timezone in these online accounts.
dosser

Post by dosser »

My systemtime / timezone is correct - synchronized over ntp

See the attached screenshots from Firefox and Poppeeper that show the different time

Poppeeper showing 12:22

Firfox Gmail showing 10:22
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi dosser,

Thanks for updating us.

Unfortunately, the images you inserted into your post are not visible, when clicking on them or enlarging the screen size to maximum. Please re-post them using the procedure described at the link below:

How to take a screenshot and attach/insert it into your post

Some additional resources can be found at:

Information for new users and forum members.

Thanks very much & best regards. :)
Global Moderator
dosser

Post by dosser »

Her the images once more:
Gmail showing 10:22
Gmail showing 10:22
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: One image deleted. Email address visible to spambots.
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello again dosser,

One of your images had your actual email address shown in the caption beneath it, and I have removed it to prevent spambots from harvesting it. Also, the removed image was not readily visible, nor able to be enlarged, when I clicked on it or increased the screen size to 300%.

[The other image is just fine and can be enlarged when it is clicked on]

Can you please try and re-post the removed image again using the procedure at the link I mentioned in my last post - and also be sure to edit/obscure the part of your email address before the "@" symbol. This is for your security/privacy and prevent spambots from harvesting your email address.

Thanks again.
Global Moderator
dosser

Post by dosser »

sorry for my faults

hope now the images work and are ok

FIREFOX with GMAIL
2017-04-26 12_40_09-Rainhard Fendrich - Tickets jetzt exklusiv bei EVENTIM!.jpg
POP PEEPER with same email
2017-04-26 12_39_30-Gmail - _ Rainhard Fendrich - Tickets jetzt exklusiv bei EVENTIM!.jpg
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi dosser,

Thanks for posting back. Everything looks good and the images can be enlarged now!

Thanks again for re-posting them! :D
Global Moderator
dosser

Post by dosser »

Here another Image

I sent a testmail on 12:45 26.04.2017 to my account.

see which time is displayed in PP
2017-04-26 12_52_51-Gmail - TEST sent on 26.04.2014 12_45.jpg
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Greetings again dosser,

Thanks for posting the image of your latest test! Now...just one other bit of information needed. In Jeff's reply to you above, he asked:
Jeff wrote:What types of accounts are they (edit the account and refer to the 'server type')?

Can you please post back with that information also, as it will help to further assist you.

The information can be found by doing the following:

1. Right-click the account in the Account List on the left side of the main POP Peeper interface.
2. Click on "Edit account" in the menu displayed.
3. On the next page displayed, look at what is shown beside "Server type". (The information needed is displayed in the red rectangle in the screen image pasted below).
Location of the "Server type" for an email account in POP Peeper
Location of the "Server type" for an email account in POP Peeper
(Yours may show Gmail, POP3, or IMAP).

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
dosser

Post by dosser »

Her the screenshot of the account config for gmail
ppgmail.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

When did this problem start?

Do you recall making any changes on your computer just prior to when this issue started?

You might check out the following if you have not already (instruction sets 2 & 3 below are assuming you use Windows):

First check your Google Time Zone:
1) Click the "Google apps" icon in the top Gmail Navigation Bar.
Google Apps.png
Google Apps.png (3.53 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
2) Select "Calendar" from the drop-down sheet that displays apps.
3) Click the Settings "gear icon" (⚙) near your Google Calendar's top-right corner.
4) Select "Settings" from the drop-down menu that pops up.
5) Make sure you have the correct "time zone" under YOUR current time zone.
6) If you cannot find the correct city or time zone from drop-down list, try checking "Display all time zones" (make sure your Country is selected).
7) If any changes have been made then Click Save.

Check your Windows O.S. time-zone:
1) On your Windows Desktop, Right-Click on the time in the Windows status bar.
2) Select "Adjust Date/Time" from the Context Menu.
3) If the correct time zone does not appear under "Time Zone:".
A) Click the "Change time zone..." button.
B) Select the desired zone under Time Zone from the drop-down list.
C) Click OK.

Check your O.S. System Clock for Windows:
Repeat steps 1 & 2 from the above set of instructions (under the "Check your Windows O.S. time-zone:").
3) Go to the "Internet Time" tab.
4) Click "Change settings..." button (even if you do not intend to change anything).
5) Click on the "Yes" button in the User Account Control dialog if this prompt is displayed.
6) Make sure "Synchronize with an Internet time server" is checked under "Configure Internet time settings:".
7) If changes made, then Click OK.

Please report back results if any changes were made.

Oh by the way, if all the time settings are good but the message time-stamp variation issue persists, have you tried a system reboot? :idea:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
dosser

Post by dosser »

There is nothing to change:
see screenshots:
2017-04-26 20_05_49-Google Kalender - Allgemeine Einstellungen.jpg
2017-04-26 20_06_38-Wrong Time in PP - WIN-TIME.jpg
2017-04-26 20_08_10-Zeitzoneneinstellungen.png
2017-04-26 20_08_10-Zeitzoneneinstellungen.png (9.37 KiB) Viewed 6062 times
As the Computer is part of a Domain there is no "Internet Time" tab.
mjs

Post by mjs »

If you have tried a computer reboot....

Another thing you could try is change your Gmail account(s) "Server type" setting in POP Peeper to "IMAP" (all other necessary settings for this protocol will change automatically) and see if this makes a difference. (right-click account in left PP account list pane and select "Edit account...", change "Server type" to "IMAP" and click "Update". (Note: if you try this change, be advised that the next Mail Check will take longer than usual while loading new protocol but subsequent Mail Checks will be back to normal.)

By the way, IMAP is generally considered the preferred protocol to use, especially for Gmail. If you decide to keep IMAP it is strongly recommended (to improve security and avoid interface issues) that when using this protocol while in the PP Account Edit window you click on the "OAuth2" button and follow through with the ensuing steps. Also enable (check) IDLE/Push" in the PP Account Edit window (which will deliver messages when they reach your accounts Server). Also in your Gmail account(s) on the web Click on the "gear icon" (⚙) and select "Settings" and click on the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab and select "Enable IMAP" and click "Save Changes".

If you have tried this, please report back results. Thanks.

ADDENDUM: Please refer to the post below as this is most likely the cause of your time-stamp problems (I was posting this at the time you posted your comments above, so was not yet aware that your computer with these issues was on a domain).
Last edited by mjs on Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added addendum that applies to probable cause of problem as referenced in the posted comments below
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

dosser wrote: As the Computer is part of a Domain there is no "Internet Time" tab.
Okay, this could be causing your problem (which you would want to check out instead of trying the above "IMAP" change. I was posting the above at the same time you were posting so didn't know this at the time). In fact you may not be able to even use IMAP at your work-place, I am presuming this is occurring at your work-place, right? (I'll bet this issue does not occur on your home computer, have you tested for this time-stamp issue at home?).

Here is the possible problem: Any domain-joined computers pull the time from the domain controllers by default. And in these cases, if somebody changes those settings this could possibly create these kinds of issues.

When you are logging into your computer at work have you ever noticed a message similar to this "There is a time difference between the client and server."?

If so then this is because the clock on your computer that you are logging into is reporting a different time than what the time is set at on your domain controller.

You can refer to this web page for more details about this: Windows Domain Time Issues.
(LINK: http://rumkin.com/reference/problems/time_diff.php)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Note (mostly to self): The timezone specified in your gmail account is gmt+2 and your PC is gmt+1. This corresponds to my own account where gmail shows -0600 and PC shows -0700. PC has a difference of -0100 from gmail in both cases (DST).

I've tried a couple different ways to duplicate this and PP always shows the correct time. If you can use IMAP instead of webmail ("gmail") that would be ideal. If a similar problem still occurs, it will be easier to diagnose with imap.

:-k
Why does gmail make it so non-intuitive to find/change your timezone? I had to search how to do it, but the joke's on them -- I didn't use google.
dosser

Post by dosser »

SOLVED !!!

I changed the account servertype from "webmail" ( GMAIL ) to IMAP and now all timestamps are allright.

Thanks to all experts trying to help.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks for reporting back with your results. Happy to hear that the IMAP protocol solved the problem. =D>

What is odd is that the one Gmail account I use with Webmail ("Gmail" for testing purposes) did not have this problem.

Be sure and use "OAuth2" and enable "IDLE/Push" for your IMAP account(s) as mentioned in my previous post on switching to IMAP. :wink: