Pop Peeper v4.4.0.0 Won't work after install. Pop Peeper Email Notifier has stopped working.

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
fbagnato

Pop Peeper v4.4.0.0 Won't work after install. Pop Peeper Email Notifier has stopped working.

Post by fbagnato »

Hello,

Just tried to upgrade from v4.3.0.0 to v4.4.0.0.

I've uninstalled, removed the database (through the uninstall), turned off firewall and anti-virus and no matter what I try Pop Peeper v4.4.0.0 will not start instead crashing with a message "Pop Peeper Email Notifier has stopped working".

I've had to reinstall v4.3.0.0 so that I can still work but would like to upgrade to v4.4.0.0 if possible.

I'm running Windows Vista with all updates to date installed.

I hope someone can work out what is wrong.
mjs

Re: Pop Peeper v4.4.0.0 Won't work after install. Pop Peeper Email Notifier has stopped working.

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum bagnato,

Do not do an uninstall (is there a reason you did this?), you should be able to update as instructed in this announcement: POP Peeper v4.4 released, by clicking on the link you see at the top of the announcement. Once the installer is downloaded, just click on the installer and follow the steps to install. The installation should successfully install over the current v4.3 you have now that works. There is no need to uninstall POP Peeper or redirect the install anywhere else than where POP Peeper v4.3 is currently installed (that works). Please post back if you can successfully install by just clicking on the install download link in the announcement linked above.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
fbagnato

Re: Pop Peeper v4.4.0.0 Won't work after install. Pop Peeper Email Notifier has stopped working.

Post by fbagnato »

Hi lakrsrool,

Thanks for your welcoming and reply.

I followed your instructions, went to the announcement page and downloaded Pop Peeper installer from the top of the page.

I then upgraded my existing v4.3.0.0 installation with v4.4.0.0.

The same thing happens, it crashes upon opening. I also tried upgrading but not selecting SSL as an install component but it still crashes.

There is something wrong with the v4.4.0.0 that isn't with the v4.3.0.0 install.

v4.3.0.0 works but v4.4.0.0 doesn't. I don't know why or if this problem is limited to me or others.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I just posted the following, could you check and see if it applies to you:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6839&start=20#p34487

If it's confusing or anything, can you take and post a screenshot of Windows Explorer displaying your POP Peeper install folder; e.g.
C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
- make sure that all folders and files are visible in the screenshot

Note: It's not necessary to have v4.4 installed to check the existence of the files causing a problem.
fbagnato

SOLVED: Pop Peeper v4.4.0.0 Won't work after install. Pop Peeper Email Notifier has stopped working.

Post by fbagnato »

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your post.

I found the presence of 2 NotifyXXX.dll files and deleted them.

I then upgraded my v4.3.0.0 with v4.4.0.0 and voila, it works.

Opening now without crashing.

Thanks for your help, you solved the problem.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad that worked, and thanks for reporting back. Since this issue was more than just a fluke that one person had, an update will be released.
fbagnato

Post by fbagnato »

No problem.

I'm glad that it is now working and glad that a fix will be made.

The forum has been very responsive and I am impressed with the support provided. I would have not figured it out myself.

I am happy to test the new release if you need to.