SSL problem

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bmarquardt

SSL problem

Post by bmarquardt »

Hi there. I recently upgraded a windows 7 computer to Windows 8. In Win 7, POP peeper worked fine. In Win 8, there is an error message when checking mail from Live.com (see below). I have rebooted the PC, I have reinstalled POP peeper. I have even copied all the files of the folder from another PC. No difference. Still the error message. The program also checks a gmail IMAP account and it does so with no error.
I have installed POP Peeper on a laptop with WIN 10 in the same house. There is no error there. The problem must be outside of POP peeper. My Antivirus is up to date. This is puzzling. Thank you for your help.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.0.0
Webmail: 4.4.0.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.0.0
SendMail: 4.4.0.0

--- Error ---
Live [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [Consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed (certificate failed: unable to get local issuer certificate (20))
mjs

Re: SSL problem

Post by mjs »

Please refer to point #3 in this POP Peeper v4.4: Common issues (and solutions) topic that would appear to be specific to your problem.

Note: A PP update will eventually be released to address these issues.

Please post back with your results, especially if you still get an error after following the steps outlined in point #3.

The above would apparently not apply in your specific case (probably because Microsoft is expected to have valid certificates) so please refer to Jeff's post below.
Last edited by mjs on Sun May 14, 2017 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: SSL problem

Post by Jeff »

bmarquardt -- as a temporary solution:
1) From POP Peeper's main menu, select Tools / PPtweaker
2) Select the "Certificates" page
3) in the exceptions, add:
imap.outlook.com
(you may also need to add smtp-mail.outlook.com for sending mail)
4) Press OK

The above should get hotmail working again.

Next, could you open the following URL using *Internet Explorer* (even if it's not your preferred browser):
https://global-root-ca.chain-demos.digicert.com/
-- digicert.com is the certificate authority for Hotmail's IMAP server

Let me know what the result is. e.g. if you have the certificate, it should say:
"If your browser loads this page without warning, it trusts the DigiCert Global Root CA."