How to set proxy?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rey

How to set proxy?

Post by rey »

due to difficulties with access to some mail-sites i have to use proxy. i have proxy in browser set for specific domains and tried to make PP to use proxy too = in Connection set Use Specific Proxy and stated address with port that works in browser. this gives no result. tried all 3 option of internet connection one by one - no effect too. what i do wrong?
i can't set proxy for whole system, bad solution, so really need to specifically set PP. i use v4.2 if that makes difference.
mjs

Re: How to set proxy?

Post by mjs »

In "Tools" > "Options" > "Connection" tab, have you set the "Access type" to "Use Specified Proxy" and set the "Address and Port" to the Proxy address separated by a colon ":" with no spaces? (i.e. 127.0.0.1:4480)

Note: If your proxy requires HTTP Authentication then you should also enter your username and password as well.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rey

Post by rey »

yes, i did everything, no effect.
Attachments
2017-05-24_104508.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

What is the Operating System that you have?

Please provide more details on what type of accounts you are using?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
rey

Post by rey »

i have Win7 x64. with "type of accounts" you mean = what mail-server i'm using/willing to receive mail trough proxy? gmail, yandex.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The standard email protocols (imap/pop3) do not have a standard for supporting proxies like http does.

This is not my area of expertise, but you may be able to use a SOCKS proxy. In which case, you would need to find and use a SOCKS proxy tunnel, which theoretically should allow POP Peeper to connect to your local socks tunnel which in turn talks to the email server through a proxy.
rey

Post by rey »

so as i understand there is no way to set proxy for me in PP. that arises a simple curiosity question - what proxy feature is for in PP if it's mostly imap/pop3 software?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

All the WebMail protocols will use the http proxy; and RSS; and "check for latest version"; and downloading languages; and Oauth2; and activating Pro/PlusPack; and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.