Updating account data causes poppeeper to stop downloading from this account

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ppuser

Updating account data causes poppeeper to stop downloading from this account

Post by ppuser »

Recently my provider made some changes to the POP/SMTP servers. I used to have an account in PP, setup as POP3/StartTLS/port 110. Now the provider changed the name of the server and the connection/port to SSL. So, i go to PP, edit the account, set the new server name, change the connection to SSL/TLS which automatically changes the port to 995. So far so good. I now go to accounts, check mail for this account only, it takes 1'+ and it returns an error. if i close PP, reopen it and check the mail for the same account, everything works normally.
spc3rd

Re: Updating account data causes poppeeper to stop downloading from this account

Post by spc3rd »

ppuser wrote:Recently my provider made some changes to the POP/SMTP servers. I used to have an account in PP, setup as POP3/StartTLS/port 110. Now the provider changed the name of the server and the connection/port to SSL. So, i go to PP, edit the account, set the new server name, change the connection to SSL/TLS which automatically changes the port to 995. So far so good. I now go to accounts, check mail for this account only, it takes 1'+ and it returns an error. if i close PP, reopen it and check the mail for the same account, everything works normally.
Hi ppuser,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having. In order to provide you the best assistance, we need a bit of clarification and additional information. Please review the items below and post back with your responses:

1. You said your "provider" made changes to the server. Am I correct you are referring to your Internet Service Provider? If not, please provide clarification.

2. Please include the complete text of the error message you are receiving in POP Peeper in your next reply.

(If needed, instructions on how to do so are shown in this Sticky topic: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post)

*[NOTE]: If your actual full email address is shown, be sure to edit/obscure the portion before the "@" symbol only. This is for security/privacy reasons.

Other members of The Esumsoft Team will be reviewing your topic at some point and provide further feedback.

Thank you and best regards,
Global Moderator
ppuser

Re: Updating account data causes poppeeper to stop downloading from this account

Post by ppuser »

1. Yes

2. It stays in the "Logging in..." state for several seconds (>30") and after that it also stays several seconds in the "Disconnecting..." state. The message that finally appears is:

Code: Select all

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.2.0
Webmail: 4.4.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.2.0
SendMail: 4.4.2.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
<ACCOUNT NAME> [0: POP3] ['<new.mail.server>' (995) SSL: 1] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- Error (Recv)
It looks like as if when settings are changed, all of them are stored in PP's on-disk configuration file but not all of them are updated in memory. I say that because when i did the opposite (change from the new mail server back to the old one - from SSL/995 to STARTTLS/110), i again got an error but a different one:

Code: Select all

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.4.2.0
Webmail: 4.4.4.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.4.2.0
SendMail: 4.4.2.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.4.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
<ACCOUNT NAME> [0: POP3] ['<old.mail.server>' (110) SSL: 2] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed

It's actually not a problem for me, after a restart, PP is working as expected, it's still a bug though, one i hope you'll nail and correct.

Have a nice day.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If there's a bug, then I certainly want to resolve it, but I'm a little confused by your description.

You said:
I say that because when i did the opposite (change from the new mail server back to the old one - from SSL/995 to STARTTLS/110), i again got an error but a different one:
<ACCOUNT NAME> [0: POP3] ['<old.mail.server>' (110) SSL: 2] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0] [Consec: 1]
- SSL connection failed
Isn't the fact that you get a different error, and possibly an error that you'd expect if the ISP made changes, an indication that the changes are being used?

It would greatly help if you could provide the actual "old" and "new" server names so that I can test and follow along with your example. The server names aren't really sensitive information, but if you'd prefer, you can PM or email them to me.
ppuser

Post by ppuser »

Jeff wrote:You said:
I say that because when i did the opposite (change from the new mail server back to the old one - from SSL/995 to STARTTLS/110), i again got an error but a different one:
Well, i can see why you are confused. I should have described it better.

Here goes again:

1. I'm using PP with the old settings and everything works fine. I change the settings to NEW, then in the main window i check mail (without restarting PP) and error A occurs.
2. I restart PP and with the new settings, everything works fine.
3. At this point, i change the settings back to OLD, then if i try to check mail again, error B occurs (different error message).
4. If i restart PP, it works fine again (with the old settings).

The provider has performed some changes but has not disabled the old way (yet), so both settings work. The problem is when i try to use the changed settings (from Old to New or vice-versa) without restarting PP.

The different error message described in (3) is expected because different port numbers and protocols are involved. I'll PM you a message with more details on the servers.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, it looks like you're on to something -- bug confirmed.

I've done some quick diagnostics and it looks like the root of the problem is in the transition from STARTTLS to SSL/TLS. Here's a test I performed to support that theory:
1) Connected using OldServer with STARTTLS
result: no issue (login error since I'm not using legitimate credentials)

2) Changed to NewServer with SSL/TLS
result: long delay before I get "receive failed" error

3) Kept NewServer but changed to STARTTLS
result: no issue (quick "login" error)

More than likely, the SSL library is caching something that it shouldn't keep cached when switching between SSL and STARTTLS, so I'll look into it more and hopefully get it fixed for the next release.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Update: problem has been fixed for the next release.
Note: this problem did not affect IMAP as it already handles the transition appropriately.
ppuser

Post by ppuser »

Great. Nice to hear it's fixed.

Will it require an update to PP only or to the SSL dll also?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's within POP Peeper, not the SSL plugin. I don't think it's a very common issue; in fact, I suspect that it's been there for a long time (maybe circa v2.3 - Feb 08, 2004 -- when SSL was first added... make that v2.4 when [start]TLS was added). I didn't test it out, but I noticed from the code that if it's set to "starttls" and then you set it to "no ssl", check mail, and then change to "ssl/tls", that it should work; ... it'd probably be just as easy to exit and restart PP ;)

Anyway, thanks for reporting the problem.