Access data.db

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
keiser13

Access data.db

Post by keiser13 »

My data.db file is 36MB but suddenly none of my email appears in Pop Peeper.
[I witnessed it vanish as it checked for new mail. Only 1 file was marked delete.]
Since a truely empty data.db file seems to be 4KB, I'd like to assume my stuff is there.
Is there anyway to access data.db to view contents?

Thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Access data.db

Post by Jeff »

If you only had one message deleted, then most likely, the server returned zero messages and that's why POP Peeper removed them. The first thing that I would do is go to the email service using your webbrowser and check if the messages are there or not. If not, check the trash folder.

Secondly, are you sure the messages are gone from PP? If you view that specific account and then disable: (main menu) Messages / "Enable display filters" -- do the messages appear? If they are, there are usually clues as to why they're hidden. If they're there, let us know what their status is for additional help -- italics mean the messages are marked as hidden, a red background suggests they're evaluated as junk.

The size of the database file may be misleading, as that's the nature of databases (they need to be "compacted" to reclaim deleted space). Unfortunately, I did some research on how to recover deleted data from sqlite3 and it doesn't look good; ie. the most suggested reply is to hire a data recovery service. However, this is probably a last resort as I suspect there is another explanation for the missing messages.
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

These were only 1 day of messages so not tragic. :)
Just hoping for a quick fix on the database.
I did check Juno.com. Nothing in trash.
The message filters did not help either.
I had yesterday's data.db backed up but that is, of course, missing what I needed.
I will reconstruct from memory as best I can.

Thank you for the quick response.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Is it possible that they're in your email client? Since it sounds like you use your email client to clear out the old messages, maybe it was still running at the time and that's why they disappeared from PP?
keiser13

Post by keiser13 »

Jeff,
Your thoughts were correct.
I use Juno desktop and the mail was not there or in PopPeeper.
I also very rarely use Outlook for compatibility with one program.
I had forgotten that I had used Outlook which resulted in the "missing" emails.
I edited Outlook properties to leave any messages on the server so this will not happen again.
I prefer Pop Peeper for its quick ease of access and am relieved that it did not lose ant emails.
Thank you for a great product.