Memory leak

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
RolandSpencer

Memory leak

Post by RolandSpencer »

Over the holidays, I upgraded to POP peeper version 4.5; and since then I have noticed that it appears to have a massive memory leak. I have to restart POP Peeper at least every other day now as the memory usage grows to over half a gigabyte. It never did this in previous versions, and I would leave it running for months with no problems (I hibernate my computer at night, so nothing ever gets fully shut down). I restarted it late last night, and right now it is showing over 325 megabytes being used (and I've only received 12 emails during that time period. The previous version never went over 80 megabytes of memory usage, even after being open for months.

Until this can be identified and fixed, is there any way to download and install the previous version which didn't have this issue?
spc3rd

Re: Memory leak

Post by spc3rd »

Hi RolandSpencer, and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums!

Sorry to hear of the memory-leak problem you are reporting. Given the nature of the issue, this will require more in-depth attention from Jeff and other members of The Esumsoft Team.

One question for you: What operating system are you using?

In the interim...
as you are a new member of the Forums, The Esumsoft Team recommends you review the following:

Information for new users and forum members.

important information is provided regarding the Forums and POP Peeper program which new members need to be aware of, including cautionary notes about personally-identifiable information. Links are also provided to additional resources which explain how to perform a variety of tasks, as well as, the steps to take if you experience problems with the POP Peeper program.

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

1) What was the previous version that you were using?

2) Have you made any changes to your system (more RAM, etc.)?

3) Are you restarting POP Peeper because it's causing problems or to avoid potential problems?

4) Right-click on the Accounts List -- in an empty area (below your last account -- and select "Server info (all)" [if you don't see this, click here] and paste the information in your reply.

One thing you should know about Window memory management is that the memory it says a program is using is not necessarily the amount of memory the program is using. If you have RAM to spare, Windows will reserve memory for programs for faster access.
RolandSpencer

Post by RolandSpencer »

I was previously using version 4.4.1.0, and am using it again. I managed to find a copy of the installer on an old backup tape.

Anyway, just before Christmas, I was using version 4.4.1.0 and it worked perfectly. Memory usage was never an issue, and I had never seen it increase greater than 80 MB, even when I had tons of email unread (upwards of 100 messages at one time). One night I got an update notice about version 4.5.0.0 and went ahead and upgraded. Upgrading POP Peeper was the only change made to the system during that time. From that point on, memory usage was terrible. Whether there were unread messages or whether all mailboxes were empty, the memory usage would continue to climb steadily throughout the day; and after about 2 days, it would be up over 500 MB. I would then restart it because I am using an old computer (Windows Vista and only 2 GB RAM), and the extreme RAM usage would slow the entire system down.

I've now returned to version 4.4.1.0, and everything is fine once again. I leave it running continuously and the RAM usage is never an issue (Usually stays around 65 MB and never goes over 80 MB).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Please do the following:
Jeff wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:13 pm... 4) Right-click on the Accounts List -- in an empty area (below your last account -- and select "Server info (all)" ....
and copy/paste this information in your reply to this topic.

If you do not see "Server info (all)" when you right-click in an empty area in the left accounts-list pane of the main PP interface then go to "Tools" > "Options" > "General" tab and check (enable) "Advanced options" toward the top-right of the interface then do step 4 above again.

Thanks
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Seeing the stats from #4 above as lakrsrool reminded you is still very important -- you don't need to install v4.5 as v4.4 is similar enough. In fact, I've gone through the changes list to remind me, and there's not really anything significant between v4.4 and v4.5 that should cause a difference. v4.4 was a major update to how PP managed memory and having values like 500MB *before* v4.4 wouldn't surprise me.

I've been running PP for about 24 hours (I restarted it yesterday when I updated the SSL plugin) and Windows Task Manager tells me PP is using about 39MB. Here's my "Server info (all)" stats for comparison:

Code: Select all

[All accounts]

Server size: 427089 KB
Mem size: 23177 KB
File size: 433824 KB

Last DB Maint (global): 12/29/17 19:28:37 (10 days)
burtp

Post by burtp »

I been seeing a PP memory leak for quite a while. I mentioned it to Jeff prior to version 4.5 but it has persisted with 4.5 and 4.51. I'm running on Windows 7 with everything on PP up to date. Here is some memory usage info for you from Windows Task Manager.

Immediately after starting PP: 37,680 KB
After 3 hours: 61,848 KB
After 2 days: 144,412 KB

See attached files for screen shots. If I exit PP, of course memory usage is relieved temporarily, but the process starts all over again once PP is restarted. I've seen memory usage as high as 500,000 KB+ without a large number of messages and no particularly large message in the Inbox. Also, when exiting PP under these conditions I often get a Windows error that PP is not responding. I don't have screen shot of that error at the moment but the entire process happens pretty regularly.

Server Info for all accounts:
[All accounts]

Server size: 928 KB
Mem size: 86 KB
File size: 741 KB

Last DB Maint (global): 05/23/18 10:15:01 (11 days)
Attachments
pp_After_2_Days.pg.JPG
PP_After_3_Hours.jpg
PP_After_Startup.JPG
mjs

Post by mjs »

While waiting for other members of the Esumsoft Team to follow-up on your post -- please do what is described in THIS post above in this topic regarding "Server info (all)" data.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
burtp

Post by burtp »

lakrsrool wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:26 pm While waiting for other members of the Esumsoft Team to follow-up on your post -- please do what is described in THIS post above in this topic regarding "Server info (all)" data.
I think I already provided this info in my post above :-). BTW, PP memory usage is now 158,504 KB.

[All accounts]

mjs

Post by mjs »

burtp wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:41 pm
lakrsrool wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:26 pm While waiting for other members of the Esumsoft Team to follow-up on your post -- please do what is described in THIS post above in this topic regarding "Server info (all)" data.
I think I already provided this info in my post above :-). BTW, PP memory usage is now 158,504 KB.

[All accounts]

You're absolutely correct -- sorry I missed that. :oops:

I've been running POP Peeper for weeks now if I recall correctly and do not seem to have this issue as reflected by my TM usage which levels off at about this:
my TM.png
my TM.png (7.08 KiB) Viewed 5070 times
Oh and meant to include my "Server info" (a lot of messages):
[All accounts]
Server size: 963631 KB
Mem size: 76347 KB
File size: 833107 KB
Last DB Maint (global): 05/15/18 17:25:01 (19 days)
Last edited by mjs on Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add My Server info.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Could you email me, it would be a lot easier for me to track and discuss this one on one -- (support at esumsoft dot com).

I have a series of questions for you:

First, regarding this most recent event:
- Had you exited/restarted PP immediately before your first, ie. did you go from 37MB to 158MB in ~2 hours?
- Are the 2nd stats you pasted here a refresh from PP, or did you copy from your original post? (ie. do you have *exactly* the same message stats now as you did before?)
- Did you receive any messages at all during that time? ie. did you receive and delete?
- Did you use PP at all? ie. open the main interface, open any messages, etc.

More general questions:
- How much total RAM does your computer have?
- How much free/available RAM does your computer have (been a while since I've used Win7, but it should be on the "performance" page)
- If PP is using a suspiciously large amount of RAM, try simply opening the main PP window and then minimizing it. See if memory usage goes down (it may not happen *immediately*, so check back in a few minutes)
- When you exit PP and it causes the "not responding" issue -- how do you exit PP? ie. do you right-click from the tray or do you open PP first and then select File/Exit (or use the toolbar button)? A screenshot of the main window when this happens may help answer some questions I have about that situation.
- In order to see what plugins you have installed/enabled and versions, I'll need you to:
a) Main menu: File / Error overview
b) Press the "copy" button
c) Use "paste" in your email to include the data

Again, please answer these questions via email -- I just included these questions here to get you started.