AOL Not working

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
techmanc

AOL Not working

Post by techmanc »

I started having connection problems yesterday with AOL error was
--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.0.0
Webmail: 4.5.2.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.0.9002
RSS: 4.5.0.0
SendMail: 4.5.0.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0
Snarl: 1.0.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Account X MN Verizon [0: POP3] ['pop.verizon.net' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.verizon.net' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 2]
- Error ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.)

Well this error was after I seen that there was a patch and I applied the patch.
Also saw the this post viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6965 and that did not help as I was using right settings anyways but I tried the other option and that just said bad connection.

Posting for help with this help with this problem and to say patch did not work for me.
techmanc

Re: AOL Not working

Post by techmanc »

I dont know why AOL problem stopped
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad it's working again.

Just FYI: the text that POP Peeper shows in parentheses:
[SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.

This text comes from the server. So basically, they're saying: "System / Temporary: server error" -- so you just have to wait for them to fix the problem. I would say that, in general (especially for a major company like Verizon/AOL), if it lasts more than a few hours/overnight, you should contact them.

fwiw, my ISP (comcast) was also having some email issues last night.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

Problem has returned --- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.5.0.0
Webmail: 4.5.2.0
SSL: 1.0.2.11
IMAP: 4.5.0.9002
RSS: 4.5.0.0
SendMail: 4.5.0.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 4.3.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0
Snarl: 1.0.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)

--- Error ---
Account X MN Verizon [0: POP3] ['pop.verizon.net' (995) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.verizon.net' (465) SSL: 1] [Consec: 2]
- Error ([SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later.)

When I went to AoL site they wanted me to change my pw which I did to see if it would help PP as well and I also use Outlook 2016 for email.
Outlook working with new PW PP is not. I assume if it was a server issue both programs would not have worked.
Last edited by spc3rd on Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited error message to remove personally-identifiable information.
mjs

Post by mjs »

I would assume the "SYS/TEMP" errors will be as expected "temporary" AOL Server errors and would also assume that if only one of two Email Clients get this error that the Email Client getting the "SYS/TEMP" errors would be accessing specific Servers with "temporary issues" that will eventually get resolved by AOL. It is not unusual for Email Clients to have temporary Servers errors re-occur as a result of the Email Client making changes (which is probably reflective of their request for you to change Passwords).

If the issue persists over a prolonged period of time you might want to contact AOL (as Jeff previously recommended).

In any case, please post back if this specific problem eventually gets resolved or persists for some time.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I assume that you changed the password set in POP Peeper for the account?

If outlook works and it's using the same settings (pop3 on pop.verizon.net) then it was likely a fluke. As I said, that error comes from the server and there's nothing that POP Peeper or any other email client can do to avoid that error. If it continues, you really must contact verizon/aol.

Your error shows that there have been 2 consecutive errors, but that doesn't necessarily tell us if there was an attempt before that which was successful. If you right-click on the account and select "Server info" one of the last things that it will tell you is "last success" with a timestamp. If you do have a successful attempt, then that means that it does work "sometimes."

Have you tried using IMAP? Edit the account and change:
Server type = IMAP (port will automatically change to 993, which is correct)
Incoming server: imap.verizon.net
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I did update to new pw twice just as it was done with outlook.

This was working until earlier today so whatever settings I been using was working.

I have 3 gmail 1 hotmail and now 1 comcast that are not having problems just my verizon.net aol acct.
mjs

Post by mjs »

The AOL account is using a different Server than the other Gmail, Hotmail and Comcast accounts which is why it is just the AOL account that is having the problems.

Are you using the same "POP3" Server in Windows Outlook for your AOL account as you are using in POP Peeper for that same AOL account (what I've been wondering is that perhaps you might be using "IMAP" in Windows Outlook for this AOL account if this account happens to be working as opposed to using "POP3" that is not working in POP Peeper)?

Of course, as Jeff mentioned (using the settings he referenced above), if you change the AOL account in POP Peeper from "POP3" to "IMAP" the account may not have a problem in POP Peeper.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

Why was I getting AOL email since last problem occurred and now problem is back again that dont make sense and just to see what would happen using Outlook to see if there be server problem there is none?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Please post ALL of your AOL account Server Protocol settings (i.e. "Server type", "Incoming Server" setting, "Port" used and TLS and SSL Protocol setting etc.) for BOTH Outlook (that is working) and POP Peeper (that is not working) -- from interfaces as illustrated below.
Outlook settings (click to enlarge, back-page to return to forum):
MS Outlook.png
POP Peeper settings:
PP settings.png
PP settings.png (5.24 KiB) Viewed 10240 times
Also as Jeff had suggested, please right-click on the AOL account in POP Peeper and select "Server info" and post what you see for "last success" in the "Server info" window (example screen-shot below).
PP acct last success info.png
PP acct last success info.png (21.69 KiB) Viewed 10243 times
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

How can I post SS here?
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

I just rechecked all settings and they are as posted in PP
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

there was some server tool in PP and let me test 4 servers and "mail.verizon.net" has things working again.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That's interesting because the official server is pop.verizon.net as listed here:
https://help.aol.com/articles/how-do-i- ... n-net-mail

But glad it's working. This wouldn't be the first time that unlisted, alternative servers work better than the official one.

I'd still be interested in knowing what your Outlook server settings are for comparison.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

How can I post a picture here? I dont mind adding a SS?

Here the info I copy paste

incoming server - pop.verizon.net
out - smtp.verizon.net

pop3 incoming port 995
outgoing - 587
using TLS
=D>
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

techmanc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 am
How can I post a picture here? I dont mind adding a SS?
Hello techmanc,

While waiting for Jeff and lakrsrool to return, I will answer the question you asked above. Please follow the instructions provided at the topic link below:

How to take a screenshot and attach/insert it into your post

* [IMPORTANT NOTE]: Please pay particular attention to the paragraph marked **CAUTION** in the instructions at the link above! You will need to edit your screenshot BEFORE uploading & submitting it in your next post - making sure to obscure any personally-identifiable information.

Hope this helps & best regards,
Global Moderator
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

well let me know if more info is still needed or if my copy/pastes will suffice?
If need more info let me know what it is thanks.
mjs

Post by mjs »

techmanc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 am.... Here the info I copy paste

out - smtp.verizon.net

pop3 incoming port 995
outgoing - 587
using TLS
To be clear you have posted that for POP Peeper it took what you have said in the post below to fix the issue:
techmanc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 pm there was some server tool in PP and let me test 4 servers and "mail.verizon.net" has things working again.
So then I assume it is correct to say that the settings you have posted at the very top is the answer to Jeff's post below:
Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm.... I'd still be interested in knowing what your Outlook server settings are for comparison.
If that is correct and those settings at the top (that include "pop.verizon.net") are what you have for MS Outlook (which has been working) but those same settings at the top failed to work in POP Peeper then that seems very odd to me as I would have expected those setting at the top to have also worked in POP Peeper. :?

It is very odd because based on what AOL says as previously posted by Jeff as illustrated below:
Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm That's interesting because the official server is pop.verizon.net as listed here:
If I am understanding correctly what you have posted at the top then the settings you are using in MS Outlook are what should work and what makes it equally strange is that these settings DO work in MS Outlook (as expected) but surprisingly do not work in POP Peeper based on your post referenced below:
techmanc wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:59 pm there was some server tool in PP and let me test 4 servers and "mail.verizon.net" has things working again.
:shock: #-o
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

lakrsrool wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:12 pm
techmanc wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:12 am.... Here the info I copy paste

out - smtp.verizon.net

pop3 incoming port 995
outgoing - 587
using TLS
To be clear you have posted that for POP Peeper it took what you have said in the post below to fix the issue:
So then it is correct to say that the settings you have posted at the very top is the answer to Jeff's post below:
Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm.... I'd still be interested in knowing what your Outlook server settings are for comparison.
If that is correct and those settings at the top (that include "pop.verizon.net") are what you have for MS Outlook (which has been working) but those same settings at the top failed to work in POP Peeper then that seems very odd to me as I would have expected those setting at the top to have also worked in POP Peeper. :?

It is very odd because based on what AOL says as previously posted by Jeff as illustrated below:
Jeff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:41 pm That's interesting because the official server is pop.verizon.net as listed here:
The settings you are using in MS Outlook are what should work and what makes is equally strange is that these setting DO work in MS Outlook but surprisingly do not work in POP Peeper base on your post here:
:shock: #-o
these posted setting were taken from Outlook 2016
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

So I just tested pop.verizon.net with a "fake" account to see what would happen. Instead of getting something like "incorrect username/password" like I would expect, it timed out and I got "[SYS/TEMP] Server error - Please try again later" when PP tried to close the session. I then tried mail.verizon.net and it also timed out on the login, but it did not return that error when PP tried to close the session; which is relevant because it's different -- which suggests that pop.verizon.net and mail.verizon.net *are* configured differently.

So one possible reason I thought of -- for the "login name" are you using just the "username" or the full email address "username@verizon.net"? Now that it's using AOL, which supports multiple domains, I would think it's more likely that "username@verizon.net" will be necessary.