Max Nr Of Installations Reached

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
henry66

Max Nr Of Installations Reached

Post by henry66 »

jeff, you know that i am constantly twiddeling with with PP, experementing, finding out things and sometimes limitations, sometimes workarounds. comparing older versions with updates, and so on.

yes, i do have it installed on several laptops, and on one desktop too, but all with the same mail accounts - and use NEVER more than one at a time. i know we dont always agree, but i am trying ...

now i am getting the warning mssg MAX NR OF INSTALLATIONS REACHED, which, yes, was to be expected.

question 1: is there any way to extend that MAX NR by say 2 or 3? again, with the absolute assurance that only one is used at a time?

question 2: what actually is the MAX NR?

question 3: the prog then suggests to uninstall the oldest version in order to continue. how to find out which of my computers actually holds the OLDEST version? if i agree to an uninstall, does it tell you from which computer it really does that? or do have to find out by trial and error?

would apreciate your help on this.

greetings - heinz -
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Max Nr Of Installations Reached

Post by Jeff »

Your license has been updated and you should be able to activate it now.

The official (at the time of this writing, as it has been increased in the past) max number of licensed computers allowed is 3.

Unfortunately, it is trial&error. In most cases it deactivates computers that are no longer in use. But I'll look into this, there may be some information that can be passed on about that.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Update: for POP Peeper v5 -- it *will* display the device ID that it plans on deactivating when you see the relevant prompt.
henry66

Post by henry66 »

jeff, many thanks - promise i will not misuse it. and see, the idea of indicating whichever computer is being deactivated puts another PLUS into PP.

greeting - heinz -
henry66

Post by henry66 »

... except it doesnt work (yet). instead of the MAX INSTALLATIONS mssg it now
comes back with ERROR ... not a valid licence.

am i too early?

********** later ***********

boh, jeff, you scared me: ALL my installations, including the one i actually and activly use, stopped working, asking for new user details (email / key).

so i used your function of getting my account details mailed, and THAT key (a newer one?) the worked, on all of them.

great, i am back (and breathing normally again).

greets - heinz -
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Your key hasn't changed, but I just looked at the key you had previously sent via PM and it's incomplete.
henry66

Post by henry66 »

yes, saw it now, in my mail to you the first block was missing.

but anyhow, once more THANKS - heinz -
henry66

Re: Max Nr Of Installations Reached // again

Post by henry66 »

jeff, me again, and a similar issue: asides from the PP on my desktop and a laptop, i am using a portable version on a USB stick, carrying it (plus almost 100 other programs) around wherever i go. this worked fine, half way around the world, or at friends and internet cafes.

now, last few days, that version keeps coming up with MAX NR OF INSTALLATIONS REACHED, and asks to be reactivated - which doesnt work, obviously.

does PP see the installation based on some internal code of itself (which would be always the same on a USB stick), or does it actually use some info of the machines it is used on? clearly, with the USB stick, i am using ONE installation at any ONE time, and as you kindly extended my nbr of possibilities this spring already, i did not expect to run into problems.

anything i could do, any workaround?

many greetings (and also waiting desperately for v5) - heinz -
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's designed to use the device that it's *installed* on (ie. the usb stick) and not the computer that it's attached to.

> and asks to be reactivated - which doesnt work, obviously.

why "obviously"? -- as far as I can tell from the records, it should be asking you if you want to de-activate an old device, which should work (assuming you're not using the old device, which I'll admit you have no way of knowing for sure, but based on the records, it "probably" would have been safe, maybe...).

Anyway, I've updated your license and you should be good again.

Let me know if you want to help alleviate this issue -- contact me via email (support at esumsoft dot com). There is some information that PP provides that can help us track down why this has been an issue.

Also, I'm going to lock this topic -- this discussion (that is, the original "need more devices" and the potential "more information" discussion) is much better via email. Your forum email address is not the same as the email address attached to your license, so it's just a lot easier when sensitive information can be obtained via email instead of a public forum.
Last edited by Jeff on Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo