Suggestion: double clicking on the account list

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ECourts

Suggestion: double clicking on the account list

Post by ECourts »

When I click on a single account in the account list the messages window updates to display the messages in that account. So far, so good (and I realise this is an option that I have chosen when double clicking).

When I double click in blank space in the account list window (so not on a specific account) the messages window updates with the "*All Accounts*" view. I presume this is intended practice? - not unreasonable.

The problem I have is that it is very easy to intend to click on an account name, but to miss it, and therefore accidentally click in blank space in the window. I have a LOT of messages (over 65,000) spread across around 40 accounts, and naturally the messages window takes quite a long time, to find, sort and display all the messages. On a slow computer this can take a minute or two. It's all lost time and wasted CPU, and it seems to happen a lot.

Can this double click action to bring up all accounts be optional?

On a secondary, and less important point - I seem to recall some years ago there was a hint of a search function coming for POP Peeper - is this still a plan?

Thanks for an excellent piece of software, and the mainstay of my mail administration...

Edwin
mjs

Re: Suggestion: double clicking on the account list

Post by mjs »

Hi ECourts,

While waiting on feedback from other members of the Esumsoft Team I'll take the opportunity to offer comments on the subject that include alternate options you can take that might help you out.

I too have a large number of accounts (40 in total) and because of this I happen to use the Account Font settings below as illustrated in the first screen-shot so that all accounts can fit in my account pane without the need of a vertical scroll-bar to see all accounts as they are all in full display without the scroll-bar with the settings below.

ACCOUNTS FONT SETTINGS:
Accounts FONT.png
Accounts FONT.png (23.96 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
When using the above Accounts Font --- as much as I might try to double-click between the accounts I simply cannot do so with this setting. I just do not have any issues mistakenly getting "All accounts" displayed on a double-click because a double-click will always end up selecting the nearest account that is presumably impacted by the font settings I'm using. The absolutely ONLY way I am able to get the result of a double-click for "All Accounts" is to double-click at the very bottom of the accounts list (to avoid selecting an account in the double-click).

So what this does is to not only help display more accounts in the account pane but more importantly is consequential in regards to your question involving the undesirable double-click outcome in the accounts pane you were asking about.

I have included my other font setting for messages (below) which is different because I don't need the same font setup for messages as I do for accounts (for the purpose of getting all 40 of my accounts to display without the need of a scroll-bar).

MESSAGES FONT SETTINGS:
messages FONT.png
messages FONT.png (24.03 KiB) Viewed 3376 times
Of course in your case with over 40 accounts you may want to change the font setting or maybe not change anything -- I just thought I'd run this past you since it appears my font setting for "Accounts" avoids the double-click issue you describe that you are having in the accounts pane.

If you're interested --- these settings to change fonts in either the Accounts pane or Message pane can be found in "Select font..." within either the respective "Accounts" and/or "Messages" option in the main POP Peeper menu.

Beyond this, Jeff will get back to you regarding the possibility of making the double-click for all accounts be optional... in the mean-time you might consider testing other various optional fonts for the "Accounts" pane to see the results you get and let us know what you think. :wink:

As to your second question regarding a "Search" for PP --- this function is presently included in the current limited beta release and as such will presumably be included in the next major POP Peeper build that will at some point be released for production.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

^ Follow-up to post above --- I was thinking more about whether changing font settings would actually make a difference in regards to your complaint that double-clicks in the Account pane will at times inadvertently display "All Accounts" instead of getting the intended "messages" for a specific Account. As an afterthought it would seem to me that increasing/decreasing the font type or size in the Accounts pane should not have any impact on the double-click in the Accounts pane as you have described.

So to test for this, I reset the font settings for my accounts to the default values [Tahoma, size 8] and as I had expected it makes absolutely no difference --- as before, I am still unable to get anything other than an accounts messages that are closest to where I perform the double-click and I find the only way I am able to get "All Accounts" is to double-click in a blank area of the accounts pane which would have to be below the last Account listed in the pane.

So if you are saying that this occurs anywhere other than at the end of the Accounts list (allegedly in-between accounts) then I am unable to duplicate your results in my case (after trying many times to try and get the inadvertent results you have described). Frankly I can't see how you would be getting different results than I get; maybe other members of the Esumsoft Team can provide additional feedback on this....

Are you perhaps talking about inadvertently clicking just below the last account in the accounts list? (because that's the only way I can see what you are describing could occur)

Can you please elaborate as far as where you are actually doing the double-click in the Accounts pane that gets the unintended results you have described?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello Edwin,

I concur with what lakrsrool has stated, as I am unable to duplicate the issue you are describing either.

If I double-click an account in the Account List, PP will display only the messages for that account. If, while I'm still viewing that one account's messages, I then double-click on the blank space at the bottom of the Account List, then PP will return to displaying messages for ALL accounts.

In addition to the question lakrsrool asked in his last post, I have one other question for you:

Which version of POP Peeper are you using now?

Thank you & best regards,
Global Moderator
ECourts

Post by ECourts »

I have 3 columns in my accounts window - "Account", "Unread" and "New" (in that order, left to right). My window however is larger (wider) than the 3 columns, so I have whitespace to the right of the "New" column. Double clicking there brings up all accounts, just as it was if the window is taller than the number of accounts (rows) leaving white space at the bottom.
POP Peeper V4.5.0.0. btw
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

A couple of suggestions:
- Decrease the width of the Accounts List so that there's no extra space inside
- Increase the width of one of the columns to eliminate the extra space; note that if you edit the columns [main menu: Accounts / Edit columns], you can set one of the columns [e.g. "Account"] to "elastic" and it will use any additional space regardless of the width of the entire list

Also, can you let me know what type of CPU you have -- and how much RAM, as that could be a factor -- if you know? The reason I ask is that -- before v4 -- the symptom you describe was a lot more common due to the way that the message list was displayed. But in v4, the message list should refresh fairly quickly. I don't quite have the number of messages that you have, but I'm currently on my laptop, which is fairly old (it's a core2duo, 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM) with 11500 messages and refreshing to "all messages" takes less than a second.

If your computer can't handle that number of messages, then I would suggest that a better solution would be to reduce the number of messages that PP is storing. That is, move messages out of the inbox into another folder. Some webmail services make this process easier than others; gmail and some others, for example, allow you to select the entire inbox and then you could move them into another folder. You could also move messages with IMAP if you have a licensed version of POP Peeper.

As for the search functionality, it was recently announced here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/blog/pop-peepe ... e-details/
mjs

Post by mjs »

Question: Why do you leave the extra "white-space" to the right of the "New" column?

Why not provide as much space in the message pane (to the right) to provide more room to see additional message information ("Sender" or "Subject" information can sometimes get pretty long).

See example:
click on image to enlarge for improved visibility
click on image to enlarge for improved visibility
Edit: I see Jeff has joined in the conversation with this suggestion as well (while I was composing post) :wink:
Last edited by mjs on Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Modified posted to add the "Edit" comment.