Pop Up Notification Not woriking ?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sportman12

Pop Up Notification Not woriking ?

Post by sportman12 »

Am using Pop Peeper on Windows 10 which Windows 10 had a update and am not getting New email to pop up from the side it is set up in the Notification from sender as in my screenshot can you please tell me a fix
Attachments
nocenter.PNG
mjs

Re: Pop Up Notification Not woriking ?

Post by mjs »

What version of POP Peeper are you using?

What type of connection protocol are you using (i.e. Webmail, IMAP, POP3)?

What kind of "Notification" do you have PP set at?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool here are the answers you wanted

What version of POP Peeper are you using POP Peeper Pro v4.5

What type of notification protocol are you using. Webmail, Gmail

What kind of "Notification" do you have PP set at see screenshot please
Attachments
Nocenter 1.PNG
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you for the additional information -- this appears to be something from Windows 10 as far as I can tell and since I do not use Windows 10 myself we will apparently have to wait on Jeff to look into this. I have contacted Jeff regarding this topic.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

lakrsrool thanks should I wait for Jeff to answer on the forum or email Jeff to ?
mjs

Post by mjs »

Since I have already left Jeff a message about your topic this should suffice -- so it should not be necessary to do anything more. He should be checking in some time soon. :wink:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Q1: Is POP Peeper in the list below the screenshot of your first message?

I don't think I've used this particular list much, but from what I can tell, programs will only appear in the list once it sends a notification. If the program exits and then restarts, it won't appear in the list *until it sends a notification*.

Q2: Have you received any new messages in POP Peeper?

Q3: Is POP Peeper reporting an error? When there is an error, there is a yellow '!' button on the bottom-right of the main screen. Click it to see any active errors.

Q4: You stated you have gmail account setup as WebMail -- I would like to clarify this because this is not a recommend setting. That is, instead of using "WebMail" you should be using IMAP instead. Edit your account in POP Peeper and refer to the "server type" -- is that "GMail" or is it "IMAP"?

If it is "GMail":
1) Change it to IMAP
2) Press the 'OAuth2' button to the right of "Login name" and follow the instructions
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff here are the answers you wanted

Q1: Is POP Peeper in the list of the screenshot of your first message? yes

I don't think I've used this particular list much, but from what I can tell, programs will only appear in the list once it sends a notification. If the program exits and then restarts, it won't appear in the list *until it sends a notification*.

Jeff the program exits in the list and then I did restart it No notification*. in Pop peeper nothing pops out from the side every other version did pops out from the side

Q2: Have you received any new messages in POP Peeper? yes But No notification pop up only shows if you manually open Pop peeper

Q3: Is POP Peeper reporting an error? No

Q4: You stated you have gmail account setup as WebMail -- I would like to clarify this because this is not a recommend setting. That is, instead of using "WebMail" you should be using IMAP instead. Edit your account in POP Peeper and refer to the "server type" -- is that "GMail" or is it "IMAP"?

"IMAP
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Have you checked the "Action center" to see if the notifications are listed there? (That's the little bubble thing on the bottom-right in the Windows task bar). Windows will only show notifications for a few seconds (I've changed it on mine, but the internet suggests the default is 5 seconds), so maybe you've missed it.

What I would suggest is that you try sending yourself a test message to see if it works instead of waiting for a new message to come to you. I would highly recommend that you send the test message from a different account than you're sending it to. The reason why is because there's an older rule in POP Peeper that will ignore messages you send yourself (this was subsequently modified so that it only affects messages that you BCC yourself, but without knowing which version of the rule you have, it's simply better to avoid the possibility).

Are you receiving any other notifications when new email arrives? e.g. sound, does the tray icon indicate new email. As another means to test that notifications in general are working or not (as opposed to assuming it's just the Windows notification thing) --
Main menu: Tools / Options / Notification
Change "when I receive new email" to "display desktop alert"
-> just be aware that the "desktop alert" will only display if POP Peeper is minimized to the tray
This is not intended as a solution, just an experiment, so let me know if the desktop alert displays or not.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff here are the answers you wanted

1 Have you checked the "Action center" to see if the notifications are listed there? (That's the little bubble thing on the bottom-right in the Windows task bar).

yes it is their

2 Windows will only show notifications for a few seconds (I've changed it on mine, but the internet suggests the default is 5 seconds), so maybe you've missed it. No did not miss

3 What I would suggest is that you try sending yourself a test message to see if it works instead of waiting for a new message to come to you. I would highly recommend that you send the test message from a different account than you're sending it to. The reason why is because there's an older rule in POP Peeper that will ignore messages you send yourself (this was subsequently modified so that it only affects messages that you BCC yourself, but without knowing which version of the rule you have, it's simply better to avoid the possibility).

Jeff I sent myself a message No notification*. Pop up in Pop peeper nothing pops out from the side every other version did pops out from the side

4 Are you receiving any other notifications when new email arrives? e.g. sound, does the tray icon indicate new email. As another means to test that notifications in general are working or not

yes working

5 (as just the Windows notification thing) -- Not working

6 Main menu: Tools / Options / Notification
Change "when I receive new email" to "display desktop alert"
-> just be aware that the "desktop alert" will only display if POP Peeper is minimized to the tray
This is not intended as a solution, just an experiment, so let me know if the desktop alert displays or not.

Jeff above features work Windows notification thing) -- Not working
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If it's listed in the Action Center than POP Peeper is doing everything that it can. Windows 10 has added a lot of user-side features to Notifications and, unfortunately, I know that certain things don't work as expected, especially when using the older style notifications (pre-Vista) that PP uses to maintain compatibility. For example, type "focus assist" into the windows start menu and you will see some of these features (actually, that may even be new in 1804 so maybe there *is* something in there causing the problem).

These are the "focus assist" settings that I have:
- Focus assist: OFF
under "automatic rules"
- during these times: off
- duplicating display: off
- playing a game: on (I think I still get Aeris notifications [which uses the same system as PP] when I'm playing a game, so I'm not sure if this is actually used since I have focus assist turned off on the above setting... :? )
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff am not technical did not get it do you want me to try focus assist" settings below or Aeris notifications which is something you buy ? please tell me want to get notifications working

under "automatic rules"
- playing a game: on (I think I still get Aeris notifications [which uses the same system as PP] when I'm playing a game, so I'm not sure if this is actually used since I have focus assist turned off on the above setting... :? )
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

At the very least, I need to know what settings you have for those. If your settings differ, then you should try changing them to match mine unless there's a specific reason why it should be disabled, in which case I would need to know what setting you're keeping as it could be directly affecting your issue.

One other thing I forgot to mention before: back in the "Notifications & actions" settings, you said that POP Peeper is in the list, but maybe we need to investigate further. Click on the "POP Peeper" item to bring up the settings for it. At the very least, these 2 need to be enabled ("on"):
- Notifications
- Show notification banners

As for my mention of Aeris Calendar -- it actually has nothing to do with this issue. The reason I mentioned it is because I don't use the Windows Notification ('tray icon balloon tip') for POP Peeper, but I do use it in Aeris Calendar (actually dozens of times a day) and it's basically the same technology, so I know that it does work in daily use in Windows 10 v1803.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff you said One other thing I forgot to mention before: back in the "Notifications & actions" settings, you said that POP Peeper is in the list, but maybe we need to investigate further. Click on the "POP Peeper" item to bring up the settings for it. At the very least, these 2 need to be enabled ("on"):
- Notifications
- Show notification banners
here are screenshots
Attachments
nocenter 3.PNG
nocenter 2.PNG
nocenter 2.PNG (10.81 KiB) Viewed 6332 times
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff you saidAt the very least, I need to know what settings you have for those. If your settings differ, then you should try changing them to match mine unless there's a specific reason why it should be disabled, in which case I would need to know what setting you're keeping as it could be directly affecting your issue

Do you mean theses

under "automatic rules"
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes. A screenshot of that settings page will suffice.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff you said At the very least, I need to know what settings you have for those. If your settings differ, then you should try changing them to match mine unless there's a specific reason why it should be disabled, in which case I would need to know what setting you're keeping as it could be directly affecting your issue

Do you mean theses

under "automatic rules"

Dose your notifications work on your Windows 10 ?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I don't understand if you're quoting me or if you're saying that those are your values. :?

And, yes, the Windows Notification works for PP under Windows 10. That's why I'm trying to see what Windows settings you have because something must be different on your system that's preventing it from working.
sportman12

Post by sportman12 »

Jeff my fault do I follow theses directions and see if it works do I have the right directions detail directions for me please ?

under "automatic rules"
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Type focus assist into the Windows start menu (or the cortana search bar) and you'll see the settings I'm referring to. Compare the settings that you have versus what I have.