Newegg Flash newsletters freezes pop peeper main window for approx 5 minutes

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
yurikus

Newegg Flash newsletters freezes pop peeper main window for approx 5 minutes

Post by yurikus »

Hi all,

Experiencing a problem with Newegg Flash newsletters, opening them in preview window freezes pop peeper main window for about 5 minutes. Preview window contains no email content when shown, but can be resized and closed.
See attached screenshot:
pop-peeper-newegg-flash.png
The attachment pop-peeper-newegg-flash.png is no longer available
Attachments
pop-peeper-newegg-flash-main-wnd.png
pop-peeper-newegg-flash-main-wnd.png (3.99 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Newegg Flash newsletters freezes pop peeper main window for approx 5 minutes

Post by Jeff »

Can you send me a sample email; preferably send it as an attachment via email to (support at esumsoft dot com). Please send the original message source and not a forward -- view the message in POP Peeper and select File / Save message as.

Apparently, the flash newsletter didn't impress me because it's the one newegg email notification I wasn't subscribed to. I've added it but it may be a couple days before I get one.

Do the other newegg newsletters cause you a problem or is it just the flash one?

What version of POP Peeper do you have (main menu: Help / About)?

If you open the same email again, does it open instantly or does it take a while again?
yurikus

Re: Newegg Flash newsletters freezes pop peeper main window for approx 5 minutes

Post by yurikus »

Sorry for delay, was expecting an email notification about replies to the forum, didn't get any.

It didn't impress me either, every time it comes I forget this delay happens, open it to unsubscribe and curse when PP hangs, heh.
Only flash newsletter causes problems for me and freezes every time.
I'm on PP v4.5.0.0.

WIll send you a sample in a bit
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello yurikus,

If you are continuing to experience problems with receiving notifications from the Forums of replies to a topic, you might want to take a look at the following Sticky, which may help:

Not receiving email notification of replies to topics you've subscribed to? Settings to check

Cheers! :)
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The problem has been found and fixed. This is actually a variant of a known issue that has been addressed before. Unfortunately, there's no known work-around that you can apply immediately, so you'll have to wait until the fix is released in v5. Beta testing availability should be announced soon, though.

Also, I don't know if your "5 minutes" was an exaggeration but I would like to know, mostly for curiosity. On my computer, it was closer to 20 seconds.
yurikus

Post by yurikus »

Thank you for fixing it what was the technical issue? (I code for a living)
WRT exaggeration, might be, but only about 50% .. it definitely hangs for more than 2 minutes.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In the HTML <head>, they're using a relative URL for an external script, like this: src="//(domain)". This is fine when you're viewing a message online with an existing point of reference (e.g. https://mail.google.com/), but when you're viewing the message locally, there is no base href defined; and, unfortunately, MS never fixed this problem in IE and so it causes a temporary hang (most modern browsers can handle it as I tested it in Edge/Firefox/Chrome). POP Peeper addresses this by injecting a base href tag; but in this case, it comes after the undefined protocol and so you still get the hang.

I wonder if the particular Windows OS has an effect on the delay -- What OS are you using? I have Win10 x64.