User Flag Server Sync

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Relentence

User Flag Server Sync

Post by Relentence »

If I set a message as "flagged" in my email client, then this status is visible in the email client on my other computer. If I set a user flag in POP Peeper, it appears that the flag is only set locally on that instance. It would be very nice if the flag status could be synced to the server. I'd be able to mark messages in PP during the day that I'd like to follow-up on later.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: User Flag Server Sync

Post by Jeff »

This is something that's in my notes but I wasn't sure if anybody was interested in -- so thanks for the suggestion.

Because POP Peeper supports multiple flags, there are some considerations that need to be made. Some IMAP servers (gmail) support custom flags, but others do not (Hotmail, Yahoo), but I have an idea for how to handle this. This is not something that will be in v5.0, but v5.x is a possibility.
Relentence

Post by Relentence »

Thanks.
efremk1

Post by efremk1 »

Ok, ok, I know, it's a 6 1/2 year old thread!!! :) Any new thoughts on possibly adding this type of feature?

Thanks.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sheesh, keep harassing me till it gets done, amirite? :mrgreen:

As I hinted at above, this is something that I would want myself, but had pretty much forgotten about since then, so I'm glad you brought it up again. And I did some more research, which supported what I found before:

Gmail supports custom flags (untested, but the correct syntax is there to indicate it's supported); Yahoo and Hotmail still do not. And, for what it's worth (but it's actually important to me being more interested in for adding it), the esumsoft.com mail server does support it. What this means (in theory) is that for the supported servers, any icon used could be stored. For servers that don't support it, they only support a generic flag, so what I would likely do is only apply it to PP's "Important" flag.

I'd also like to add support for the "replied-to" flag. This has somewhat similar problems in that there's only a generic "answered" flag, whereas PP has distinctive "replied-to" and "forwarded" flags. Some servers support an optional/non-standard flag for this (esumsoft and Yahoo, but not gmail or hotmail). Out of curiosity, I tested how gmail.com behaves, and you get distinctive reply/forward icons when done from www.gmail.com; but it only sets the "answered" flag so any email clients are just going to indicate replied-to.

Anyway, I may try to work on this for v6; I'm kind of swamped working on something else (for PP), but this would offer a nice break from that.
Relentence

Post by Relentence »

Thanks for bringing this up. I still very much would like to see it implemented.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just a quick update on this -- barring some unforeseen incident, this should make it into v6.0. Replied/Forward, flag (important) and other user flags should work dependent upon the supported features of the server.