Beta Validation Failed After Waking Computer From Sleep

Protocol

Beta Validation Failed After Waking Computer From Sleep

Post by Protocol »

I have been getting a "Beta Validation Failed" error message after my computer wakes from sleep.

mjs

Re: Beta Validation Failed After Waking Computer From Sleep

Post by mjs »

How often has this error occurred?

Are you using a wireless connection?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

It's an Ethernet wired connection.
I think it has only started happening since the latest update Beta 21.
I can't be sure about that, but it hasn't been happening for a long time.

Is it a timeout thing? Maybe it needs to be extended.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The strange thing is, this was actually extended:
- Beta: For potential "Beta validation failed" prompts: if this would occur, it will wait another minute, try again and then prompt if it fails again; this is to prevent potential issues with the computer not being ready for internet connections (e.g. just woke from sleep)
This was in b20, but most people did not see b20.

lakrsrool had mentioned this issue a while ago, and someone else reported it more recently. After the b20 fix was released, the 2nd person told me the problem had disappeared.

So what I think is happening is that PP is trying to access the internet before your computer's internet is ready. There's quite a bit of "luck" involved for you to be seeing this (e.g. there's a 24 hour cycle and there's other timing involved). For some potential corroboration of that theory -- does your computer take a little time to settle down after you wake it up (ie. have you noticed the hard drive thrashing, or are programs slow to respond, or have you specifically noticed you can't access the internet, etc.)? Are you using any 3rd party security programs (including AntiVirus, but perhaps more specifically along the lines of a firewall; and by "3rd party" I do not mean Microsoft products).
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I can't think of anything.
Everything else connects straight away.

I don't use any third party antivirus or anti malware.
Sorry that I can't be more helpful right now.

I forgot to mention that it is Beta 21.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, well, I've added a few extra minutes for b22 so hopefully that should take care of it.

The 12007 error that was referenced in your screenshot is ERROR_INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED, which basically means that the DNS lookup failed when trying to contact esumsoft.com.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I'll let you know if B22 resolves the issue.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I am sorry to report that I am still getting the same error occasionally.
I never experienced it in v4, so I guess it's something new.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:04 am I am sorry to report that I am still getting the same error occasionally.
I never experienced it in v4, so I guess it's something new.
As far as I'm aware we are still on beta21 (at least I am - and there is no further release available as of this time). I got this specific error once while on beta20 and since then for beta21 Jeff added some more delay and I have not gotten this error as of the current beta21. But, as I understand it since the error is still showing up for some (like in your case for instance), the even more additional extra minutes will be added to the next beta22 according to Jeff -- so presumably we are still waiting for that beta22 release with the extra minutes change to hopefully resolve this issue for all concerned. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Thanks again, lakrsrool.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Protocol wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:30 pm I'll let you know if B22 resolves the issue.
Let us know if the issue has been resolved for you (after updating to beta22 that has now been released). :?:

My mistake (beta22 is not yet released to everyone) -- please refer to this post by Jeff regarding the expected release of beta22: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7445#p38146
Last edited by mjs on Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis17

Post by Francis17 »

I reported this or a similar issue back in January, about Beta 9.
Every time PP starts, the error message appears after a minute or so.
Help => About also shows the same thing "Error: Internet Error (12029) (Response 0)"

I believe it did not have anything to do with sleeping, because the problem arose even after shutting down and booting clean.
Since it was not resolved by debugging nor advancing to a new beta, I stopped updating betas.
A different machine here may have not had the problem.
Well now I will try Beta 23. Just gotta remember to back up everything PP-related and be prepared to undo and completely restore.

Edit: Ah. Now I again see the real problem. This inability to connect over the Internet means the re-Activation never succeeds.
Thus the inability to use any newer beta.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Francis17 -- then your problem is different, because the problem reported above was a temporary inability to connect to the internet after sleep and it would work shortly after. If you're not able to activate, then that's a completely different situation.

I found an email that you sent me on Jan 25. I replied, but you did not respond -- if you don't respond, then I assume that your problem is fixed. Here's my reply, which still sounds like it's an accurate assessment of your problem (ie. you have a firewall or something else blocking access to esumsoft.com):
Most likely something on your computer is blocking the internet connection to the esumsoft server. Try running the "web test" under the main menu: File / Error overview (wait... you may not be able to access it since beta validation is required...).

If you're running a software-based firewall (the default Windows firewall is not a problem unless you've modified it), make sure that it's allowing POP Peeper access -- that's the most common reason for internet error 12029.

Another reason is a misconfigured proxy. Open "internet options" from the Windows start menu; then "connections" tab; "Lan settings" button; in most cases, the "use a proxy server for you LAN" should not be enabled.
Francis17

Post by Francis17 »

>your problem is different
Okay, thanks, here we go :)

>run "web test" under File / Error overview (you may not be able to access it since beta validation is required).
Not a problem, eh? Because that command is available in the existing activated beta. It gives:
Use the 'Copy' button on the 'Error Overview' window for full diagnosis.
Server Reponse: 0
Error: Internet Error (12029)
... and the Error Overview window remains blank, so there is nothing to copy.

>firewall
Router firewall: check, but no problems running PP nor other email programs.
VPN firewall: check, and I can make exceptions for non-standard protocols. What ports need to be open? What IP addresses need to be allowed? What connections do validation and activation make that regular email exchange does not make?

>proxy
No proxy in use.

Edit: This is not a problem on the other computer here. Funny thing, a different problem of starting the VPN does not happen on this computer either.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The ports that would be blocked are the standard http/s ports (443 and 80). When I said "firewall" I should be more specific and say "software firewall" as that is what typically is going to be the cause of the problem (you'd have major problems in general if your hardware firewalls were blocking ports 80 and 443 :) ). So, basically, you want to focus your attention on installed firewalls that block apps, as opposed to ports. Windows Firewall will generally not be a problem unless you've configured it differently than the default setup.

As for the proxy setting I mentioned -- I'd recommend looking at it anyway if you didn't already. There have been a number of times in the past when this was the culprit and the person didn't realize that some "security" program or another had changed it. Alternatively, if you set:
main menu: Tools / Options / Connection; "Access type" = "direct connection"
then that would probably avoid any ambiguity, too.