Dark Theme Color palette

Cynyster

Dark Theme Color palette

Post by Cynyster »

Hello. This is a small thing.
Not something that would be hi priority by any stretch.

I am really enjoying the ability to have a theme applied to the interface.
I am running the Dark Theme with blue accents at the moment.

But is there a way to get the color palette to match the actual color you will be using in the account list.
Right now I have Hotmail accounts in one color Google accounts in another color. etc.

When I had the light theme active certain colors made more sense and with the dark theme obviously other colors are better.
But, the color picker does not reflect the actual color that will be showing up.
With some trial and error I was able to get the list more contrast between accounts (see attached)

Is there a way to get the "color picker" to match the actual color that will appear?

Thanks gang
Attachments
Account list
Account list
mjs

Re: Dark Theme Color palette

Post by mjs »

I hope this helps providing some screen-shot examples of a few of the options that are available (probably some of which you've tried):
PIC-1 The "Theme color" drop-down provides several choices including "Specify color" (selected below)
PIC-1 Specify Color.png
PIC-2 By selecting "Specify Color" you have the choice of selecting the colors from the initial drop-down (illustrated below)
PIC-2 Select from colors or 'Other'.png
PIC-3 Or you can select "Other..." that provides many ways to pick a color including clicking (selecting) a position within the color hues and/or moving the slider-bar at the right of the color hues to adjust light/dark and/or entering your own RGB color values in the lower-right area of the Interface (and you can add any one of these "Custom" colors in that section to the left to be used later)
PIC-3 Gradient colors.png
And of course there are over 150 optional downloadable themes to choose from if you like by simply downloading them (by selecting "Download"). You can always "Edit" any of the downloadable themes to be saved however you like on your computer as well. All of these downloadable themes can be viewed before actually choosing to use them by using the "View" button (or double-click) or an alternate way is to use "Auto-view" that allows you to conveniently view each theme as they are selected.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
KnightLord

Post by KnightLord »

I actually went to the Themes folder, duplicated one of the INI files and created my own theme, with the colors I wanted, etc.
Maybe you can follow the same approach to customize your favorite color schemes...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Knightlord -- Can you provide a specific example of what color you were picking that wasn't showing up as expected?

However, the reason for this is because POP Peeper has to change the color to provide contrast so that the text color is visible against the background color. For example, when using a white background, the default color for your first account is black; if you change to a dark theme that uses a black background, your account would be invisible (black on black), so POP Peeper changes the text color to white.

Likewise, if you're using a dark background and you pick a dark color for your account, PP will change its light value; it's the same color, just a lighter shade.

If you don't like the lighter account colors (and as I mentioned in a similar post recently, I fall into that category myself), then you can easily change the background color of the message list to a "light" color, thus allowing account colors to be dark.

It just occurred to me that perhaps there's a better solution for this -- A new option could be added to that background color (account/message lists) which could be "auto-detect". If the majority of your existing account colors would need to be adjusted based on the theme's specified color, then it will use the "light" (or "dark") option; otherwise, it will use the "theme" option.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, first, I've made some changes based on my previous comment. I decided not to do an "auto-detect" because that could lead to some questionable decisions. What will happen instead is display a pop-up which provides more information; this prompt will display when the account colors would need to be adjusted based on the current theme's message-list color. (ftr, PP will only compare the first account)

That being said, I just re-read your original post and I think I got distracted from your original question. You were asking about the "palette", by which I assume you mean the 20 colors that are displayed when you click on the color picker in the edit-account window. And, specifically, you would like those 20 colors to be more reflective of the colors that would be used based on the current theme. For example, if the message-list background color is white, then it makes no sense if white is an available color and it should display black instead.

Makes sense to me; and I probably should have changed the default palette a long time ago to better match the default colors that PP uses when creating new accounts. So, here are the palettes you'll see for edit-account depending on whether you're using a light or dark theme, respectively; there are 4 fillers at the bottom -- let me know if there are any other colors you think should be included.
PPv5_AccountPalette.png
PPv5_AccountPalette.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 14715 times
Cynyster

Post by Cynyster »

Awesome!
That makes things much easier

Thank you :)
KnightLord

Post by KnightLord »

Jeff wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:17 pm Knightlord -- Can you provide a specific example of what color you were picking that wasn't showing up as expected?
Jeff, in fact it works fine for me. All I was saying is that instead of customizing one thing at a time, I decided to create my own theme to make things easier, so I could control all the elements together.

The only "question" I have about the themes, or better saying request, is the fact the background of the main screen is either black or a light green. I would like to be able to make it match the other elements on the themes.
image.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

Jeff - looking back it appears that it was Cynyster that perhaps asked the question you're referring to:
Cynyster wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:41 pm ... Is there a way to get the "color picker" to match the actual color that will appear?
Who incidentally since posted more recently:
Cynyster wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:23 am Awesome!
That makes things much easier

Thank you :)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

KnightLord wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 am The only "question" I have about the themes, or better saying request, is the fact the background of the main screen is either black or a light green. I would like to be able to make it match the other elements on the themes.
The light green you're referring to is not specific to the theme, it's actually the color used to represent that these messages are "legitimate" (ie. as evaluated by AntiJunk or marked as such by yourself).

You can change or remove this color:
1) Main menu: Tools / AntiJunk -> Settings
2) Select the "Actions" page
3) You'll see the options here. My personal recommendation would probably be to just untick the "back color" in the "Legitimate" section, leaving junk/unknown; this way, those messages will still stand out so that you can deal with them.

Also, you can change the background color for the accounts and message lists without modifying the theme. Go to Tools / Load theme * and at the bottom of this window is "message list background" which you can set to "specify color."

* - I've changed the wording of "Load theme" to "Theme viewer" -- I had to scan the menu twice when I wrote that because I expected "theme" to be the first word...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:10 am Jeff - looking back it appears that it was Cynyster that perhaps asked the question you're referring to:
Cynyster wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:41 pm ... Is there a way to get the "color picker" to match the actual color that will appear?

Indeed. When I wrote that I had just scrolled up and saw KnightLord and thought that was the OP, but I should have scrolled up some more :)

Cynyster -- sorry about that and there's no need to reply to that question now. When I wrote that I wasn't sure what you were talking about but then the light bulb went on and I realized what you meant.
KnightLord

Post by KnightLord »

LOL, no problem Jeff. And THANKS a lot for the clarification. That light green is driving me crazy for ages... LOL