POP Peeper's next browser & dumped WOT

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
dallas77us

POP Peeper's next browser & dumped WOT

Post by dallas77us »

Adding to my "vote" for QT5 WebKit as POP Peeper's next browser that I mentioned here:
viewtopic.php?p=39186#p39186
"I already have plans to look into replacing the browser"
viewtopic.php?p=39182#p39182

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7568&p=39056&hilit=wot#p39056
officially remove Web of Trust integration as of v5.1
I am considering an alternative solution
I am open to discussing this -- feel free to start or join a discussion in the forum

So, here's my 2¢...

Both QuiteRSS and Falkon have AdBlock, compatible with Wladimir's 2002 Eyeo GmbH list architecture which continues to this day. And blocks far more than ads, depending on what lists you subscribe to.

QT5webKitAdBlock-00.jpg

I added Spam404 to both as the Malware Domains list (sites are 404) has gone defunct after several cyber-decades. The last update I got was January 15, though the official depreciation was reported as 08/13/20.

The config UI in Otter's QT5 build has been prettied up.

QT5webKitAdBlock-01.jpg

Added Spam404 to this one, too.

So, if you decide on integrating QT5 (as Mr. Khokhryakov did in QuiteRSS) into your next POP Peeper, you won't need the Google API. As well as allowing users the option of lists that have long garnered acclaim, popular and editorial, and as good as or better than Google's "Safe" Browsing.

FYI: For anyone using Adblock Plus or any of its ports, here's the Spam404 list:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Spam4 ... k-list.txt
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: POP Peeper's next browser & dumped WOT

Post by Jeff »

Thanks, but this may not necessarily work, although I'll certainly keep it in mind as I look into the potential browser controls. There's a couple of issues:
1) Messages viewed as Plain/Rich text don't use the browser window and so clicking on the link wouldn't go through qt5's filters
2) When viewing html, links clicked on need to be opened by an external browser, this may or may not bypass qt5's filters