Oauth2 for POP - Gmail recent change

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Popey

Oauth2 for POP - Gmail recent change

Post by Popey »

Gmail has now enforced Oauth2, so this notification is being repeated in case you missed it the first time:

From FAQ:
POP Peeper currently only supports Oauth2 for IMAP. IMAP is the recommended protocol for Gmail regardless

I prefer POP over IMAP.
Will you please add Oauth2 for POP?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Oauth2 for POP - Gmail recent change

Post by Jeff »

I'm willing to consider it if you can give me a compelling reason why you prefer POP3 over IMAP. :-k
Popey

Post by Popey »

Not sure how compelling my reason is to someone else, but:
1. I like to have my mail on my own computer.
2. I like my mail organized however I feel like, independently from how it is on the Service provider's server.

I do hope you'll consider it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

> 1. I like to have my mail on my own computer.

That has no relevance as far as POP Peeper is concerned. PP treats messages that come from POP3 and IMAP the same. POP Peeper isn't designed to permanently store your email like a regular email client. But even if you're like me and have some 30K+ messages stored in PP, the messages are stored the same way regardless of POP3 or IMAP.

> 2. I like my mail organized however I feel like, independently from how it is on the Service provider's server.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, but again, I don't think it affects how POP Peeper treats your email.

If you're not already using IMAP, I would suggest that you try it and if there's something that you don't like, let us know because there's probably an existing option to tweak it.
Popey

Post by Popey »

even if you're like me and have some 30K+ messages stored in PP
Not sure how many I have but they date back to 2012, so quite a few....

I use PP as it was originally meant, as notifier.
I started using IMAP for gmail back when they issued the first warning about this, a few month ago.

I dislike IMAP for as long as I remember, because as I mentioned above, it means that *my* mail is controlled by someone else somewhere else. However, as you said, it's not relevant for PP.

Thanks for being open to this topic.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper lists the "total" in its status bar -- bottom left of the main window.

As for controlling mail -- I used to download mail to a POP3 client, but I haven't done that in over a decade (since I switched to Win7). Back then, I would re-format/clean-install fairly regularly (at least once a year) and the process of backing up the email became too cumbersome so I decided to just leave everything on the server.
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

I have no problem with imap per se, but I don't want to see every email I've gotten since I first opened my Gmail account. Is there a way I can just see emails from a certain range of dates? If I delete old emails on Pop Peeper, will they delete from storage on Gmail?
mjs

Post by mjs »

crabboy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:15 pm .... but I don't want to see every email I've gotten since I first opened my Gmail account. Is there a way I can just see emails from a certain range of dates?
From main menu - if you go to Tools/Options/Message Retrieval - you can set for "Max number of messages to retrieve" to limit the number of messages in your Inbox.
crabboy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:15 pmIf I delete old emails on Pop Peeper, will they delete from storage on Gmail?
Yes, deleted messages on POP Peeper will be deleted from the servers of the relevant Email Service, if you are using IMAP. (depending upon your IMAP settings you have on your specific Email Service; messages will remain on the Email Service's server until you delete them at which time they will be removed from the Servers and therefore will not display in your POP Inbox as a result of deleting them).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

So, if I have already checked my email (using imap) in PP, there's no way I can delete them from PP without deleting them on the server?
mjs

Post by mjs »

crabboy wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:36 pm So, if I have already checked my email (using imap) in PP, there's no way I can delete them from PP without deleting them on the server?
Using IMAP will reflect what exists on the respective Email Service server. That said, if you delete a message in your POP Peeper Inbox that is using IMAP then that specific message will be deleted on the respective Email Service Server as a result and therefore will not get retrieved by POP Peeper hence will no longer display in the POP Peeper Inbox.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You can hide messages -- select the messages, right click on one and then select mark as -> hidden.

However, the best solution is to log into gmail.com with your webbrowser, press the checkbox on the top-left to select all, then click the link that will appear which will say something like "select all ### messages" * and move those messages to another folder.

* - I'm not sure if, at this point, you can unselect recent messages that you want to keep. If anybody knows or tries this -- let me know. Otherwise, if you do want to keep recent messages, you can go into that folder, select the range of messages and move them back into the inbox.
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

I understand that this kerfuffle is Google's fault and not yours, but please consider enabling Oauth2 for Pop3 as well as imap in future versions. Things were much simpler when I could use Pop3. I have used Pop Peeper for years and demand that it work (Via Wine) before using any Linux distro (I have both Windows and Linux on various computers).
wpdorr

Post by wpdorr »

I too very much prefer the way things were, where POP Peeper would check the inbox and return to me only the headers of new messages, without needing to download the preexisting 6000 messages from the previous 7 years. I liked the simplicity of it just being a notifier of new e-mail and not some kind of a slimmed down client like it has gradually evolved into. When Google announced this restriction, all I needed to do in Thunderbird was switch the authentication method to OAuth2 and was able to continue using POP there to retrieve my mail as I had been all along. While I admittedly lack the understanding of the programming needed to make such a thing possible, if it's something difficult versus something easy to do, I see that it nonetheless can be done. Regardless of how the programmer uses their own software, and which settings they personally prefer, the name of the program is POP Peeper after all, not IMAP Peeper.
roadchild

Post by roadchild »

I liked the simplicity of it just being a notifier of new e-mail and not some kind of a slimmed down client like it has gradually evolved into.
^^ This, I would prefer the pop3 protocol. I am sure there are reasons that you folks aren't implementing it, but I thought I'd chime in as another voice that appreciated that it just worked, unlike what we're dealing with now.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Gmail's POP3 implementation is extremely non-standard. I know for a long time (still do, as far as I know, but I haven't checked in a while), the default behavior would delete messages from the server when retrieved by the client (and this is why PP goes out of its way to set "preview" for gmail-pop3 accounts). This just goes to show that even gmail believes that POP3 is intended for permanent local storage, and that's not what PP is designed for.

That being said, I have decided to include Oauth2 for POP3. This will work for Gmail, Yahoo and AOL accounts; Outlook doesn't support it. This will be in POP Peeper v5.4. You will be able to access this version relatively soon (I'm hoping by early next week at the lasest, and probably sooner if all goes well) on the early release channel:
PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Troubleshooting

If you do not already have a POP Peeper Pro license, I would ask that you consider supporting me. This was not an insignificant effort and was added by the request of just a handful of long-time POP Peeper users.

> the name of the program is POP Peeper after all, not IMAP Peeper.

Perhaps if you perceive my penchant for the periodic and persistent repetition I painstakingly provide, you will appreciate that the peeper must peek and peer into pop and its only pursuit by name is a preference for an appellation that procures the purposeful production of repetitiousness.

- P for Pendetta
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I have contributed in the past and will again.
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:50 pm...

Perhaps if you perceive my penchant for the periodic and persistent repetition I painstakingly provide, you will appreciate that the peeper must peek and peer into pop and its only pursuit by name is a preference for an appellation that procures the purposeful production of repetitiousness.

- P for Pendetta
Great. Now I have SPIT all over my screen!
Sufferin' Succotash!
wpdorr

Post by wpdorr »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:50 pm Perhaps if you perceive my penchant for the periodic and persistent repetition I painstakingly provide, you will appreciate that the peeper must peek and peer into pop and its only pursuit by name is a preference for an appellation that procures the purposeful production of repetitiousness.

- P for Pendetta
Ah, I am no alien to the allure and appeal of alliteration, although accuracy in attributing the abilities of applications in their appellation is always appreciated.

Arigatou and adieu, ami.
roadchild

Post by roadchild »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:50 pm If you do not already have a POP Peeper Pro license, I would ask that you consider supporting me.
I didn't move to 5 because 4 and the plus pack worked fine. I will be getting a license to 5. Thank you for doing this. I've used poppeeper for what seems like an eternity, and I appreciate you doing this.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

v5.4 is now available in the beta channel. Again, this is only available to Pro users; v5.4 will be released to all once it's determined that there are no outstanding issues. Instructions for enabling this are here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=7790

If anybody has the chance to test this, please let me know your results as this will help speed up the release for all.