Pop Peeper cannot access GoDaddy email server [resolved]

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
idocsteve

Pop Peeper cannot access GoDaddy email server [resolved]

Post by idocsteve »

Received the following email from Godaddy a few days ago. The suggestions made are worthless. I clicked on the provided option to "update settings for desktop pc" and it did nothing. I tried changing the Pop Peeper settings from Pop to Imap and still no success.

I get authentication errors when I try to log in through Pop Peeper, but no issues when logging in using the same credentials on the Godaddy email server directly.

Godaddy
Login Error ([AUTH] Authentication failed.)

Email from GoDaddy:

Update your settings now to keep your email access working.

A service your email relies on to function will no longer be supported by Microsoft after 06/09/2022. You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email client, like Outlook or Apple Mail — don't worry, none of your emails will be lost.

To avoid this disruption, you'll need to update your email settings. This is necessary for each device you check your email on.
Last edited by Jeff on Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: resolved
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Pop Peeper cannot access GoDaddy email server

Post by Jeff »

After finding what GoDaddy uses now (MS 365), it likely won't work in POP Peeper. Assuming you need to use Oauth2, for whatever reason (and I had several back&forth's with Microsoft's reps which went nowhere), the MS365 Oauth is implemented differently than their normal Hotmail/Outlook accounts and doesn't work with POP Peeper.

That being said, you may be able to use this:
https://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopic.php?t=3819
The original post is pretty old, but I know that the utility is still updated.
idocsteve

Post by idocsteve »

Davmail worked perfectly to allow me to access my Godaddy emails via Pop Peeper, with thanks Jeff!

* Edited to add:

Even though Davmail worked fine, it turns out that a simple change to the new GoDaddy Server settings allows Pop Peeper (and other third party apps) to connect to my GoDaddy email account and therefore Davmail is not required.

See attached screenshot.
M365-settings-03.png
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ah, excellent news that PP can still work with GoDaddy natively. With your original quote that, "You'll still be able to access your email through your browser, but not from an email client", I just assumed that they had enforced something else. I guess that quote is just incredibly misleading if not just completely inaccurate.

I'm going to edit your original post to indicate that this is resolved (in the title). Thanks for posting the solution.
Greg

Re: Pop Peeper cannot access GoDaddy email server [resolved]

Post by Greg »

I recently had to switch over to 365 as Godaddy ended their workspace email program.

I was able to get Pop Peeper to retrieve emails with the settings above but I am unable to send mail.

Here is the message I am getting. I followed the link but I couldn't determine what needed to be done.

Send Mail: Login Error: Auth XOAUTH2
Server Returned: 5.7.139 Authentication unsuccessful, SmtpClientAuthentication is disabled for the Tenant. Visit https://aka.ms/smtp_auth_disabled for more information. [BN0PR04CA0123.namprd04.prod.outlook.com 2024-02-11T22:01:28.846Z 08DC2AF294A36E70] (#535)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Pop Peeper cannot access GoDaddy email server [resolved]

Post by Jeff »