HTML email is displayed badly on IE

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Gelip

HTML email is displayed badly on IE

Post by Gelip »

I noticed that HTML emails are displayed badly with IE, which is outdated (It does not display pictures and Polish letters).

Is it possible to force POP Peeper to display e-mails in the default system browser - similar to the option to open links: Tools > PPtweaker ... > Misc 2 > Force POP Peeper to open links in your external browser instead of internal browser ???
mjs

Re: HTML email is displayed badly on IE

Post by mjs »

Messages are opened/read in POP Peeper (click on screen-shots to enlarge in browser for improved readability - return to PP message using browser back-arrow):
By clicking on message in the POP Peeper Inbox to open and read in POP Peeper.
By clicking on message in the POP Peeper Inbox to open and read in POP Peeper.
Clicking on a link (Red "Read the story" button to read specific article) the topic will open in the browser I have set in Windows as my default (in my case Pale Moon) - notice this article I've selected to open (read) in my default browser (Pale Moon) by clicking on the "Read the Story" button in the POP Peeper message has opened in my (default Windows) Pale Moon browser:
By clicking on an articled linked in the message (click on red "Read the Story" button will launch my browser (if not already open) and display in my default browser.
By clicking on an articled linked in the message (click on red "Read the Story" button will launch my browser (if not already open) and display in my default browser.
My POP Peeper settings:
I have left the option "Browser to launch URL's" blank to use my default Windows browser - optionally you can select a non-default Windows browser to do this by entering the path to the location of the alternate browser to be used for this.
I have left the option "Browser to launch URL's" blank to use my default Windows browser - optionally you can select a non-default Windows browser to do this by entering the path to the location of the alternate browser to be used for this.
You have the choice of either changing your Windows default browser and leaving the POP Peeper option referenced here blank to use a different Windows default browser (by changing your Windows setting for this) or enter another browser you have installed to use in the POP Peeper option to use instead of the Windows default browser.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There may be some newsletters that use security settings that certain versions of IE cannot display, but I don't think that there should be a problem displaying Polish characters. If you have a sample, I could take a look at it for comparison. Save the message from PP by:
1) View the message in POP Peeper
2) from the menu, select File / Save message as
3) Email that file as an attachment to (support at esumsoft dot com) and provide a brief summary of what's wrong and a link to this forum topic

As an alternative to using PP's built-in rendering, you can use: File / Open message in Client, to open the email in an external client (e.g. Thunderbird).

Further, Microsoft does continue to support the IE control that POP Peeper uses, but support is slated to end in the future (I believe 2027). So POP Peeper will use a new method to support HTML in a future version.
Gelip

Post by Gelip »

@mjs
You misunderstood me. I mean displaying email in POP Peeper. I am using WinXP SP2 64-bit and POP Peeper seems to be using IE6 to display messages. If I right click anywhere in the message window I have a context menu from IE6:
ie_menu.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

You are using a very old (WinXP) O.S. (as you know) - which is likely a contributing factor. :-k You've probably got IE6 installed on your computer in as much as your using WinXP. In regards to what is compatible with WinXP beyond IE6; IE7 and possibly IE8 are the extent of what will work with WinXP (although I'm not that certain about IE8 actually).

What are you using for the "IE emulation" setting? (under Tools/PPtweaker/Troubleshooting):
IE emulation.png
What do you get in the drop-down list (by clicking on the down-arrow for this option)?

You could try installing IE7 (and setting "IE emulation" to 7) to see if this helps - however I'm not certain this would make any difference (in regards to displaying HTML emails).

It would be best to wait for more feedback from Jeff on this. :?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

According to the Internet, WinXP supports IE8. You should update to that, if possible, as that is most likely the only likelihood of fixing the problems you mentioned. I seem to recall that even many years ago that auto-updates were turned off and it was becoming increasingly more difficult to find a legitimate source for IE8.

It's not necessary to change the IE emulation in PPtweaker -- the "default" will use the current version available (up to IE10).

Also, since I didn't realize you were using WinXP before -- the HTML rendering update I mentioned will not work for WinXP (in fact, it may prevent you from updating to that version at all) because the minimum required OS for that feature will be Windows 7. It's Edge-based, so the fact that MS allows it to run on pre-Win10 OS's is somewhat of a shock in itself.
Gelip

Post by Gelip »

mjs wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:20 am What are you using for the "IE emulation" setting? (under Tools/PPtweaker/Troubleshooting)
Default (use installed IE)
No change

but it doesn't work.

@mjs @Jeff
I don't want to install IE7 or 8 because I'm using Firefox 52.9.0 ESR and Mypal 68.12.2b
In addition to POP Peeper, I also test the MailNews e-mail client, in which everything works OK and it does not need IE7 or IE8 installed in the system:
mailnews.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

You've already currently got IE6 installed (automatically comes installed with WindowsXP) on your computer (this is what POP Peeper is now using in your case for "IE emulation" to view HTML (messages) with your the "IE emulation" setting set at "Default (use installed IE)") - which as Jeff mentioned this "default" setting "will use the current version available" (i.e. the installed version of IE). This explains why your getting the results you referenced in a previous post in this topic (in as much as IE6 is the version you currently have installed):
Gelip wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:51 am @mjs
.... POP Peeper seems to be using IE6 to display messages. If I right click anywhere in the message window I have a context menu from IE6...
Installing IE8 - would presumably address the issues you've previously mentioned (above).

All you would be doing by installing IE8 (there are number of sites this can be done from) is basically updating your current IE6 version to IE8 (as far as POP Peeper is concerned) - doing this would have no impact on any of the browsers you actually use on your computer (i.e. you would not be changing any Windows settings as far as what you use for your default browser). POP Peeper simply uses "IE emulation" to display HTML messages internal to POP Peeper that is totally independent of any other browsers you have installed.