Update of the message list after deleting message remotely

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Tahtu

Update of the message list after deleting message remotely

Post by Tahtu »

I deleted a message with another email client via IMAP. After this, the message was not removed from the message list inside PP. I'm using GMail via IMAP in PP too.

Then I refreshed the message list manually, but the message was still not removed.

After this, I've closed and reopened PP.exe - and the message was no longer listed.

Can I configure somewhere to remove a remotely deleted message from the message list of PP?
mjs

Re: Update of the message list after deleting message remotely

Post by mjs »

Based on various preferences you may have set in the Email Client you used to delete the Gmail message - it may have taken some time before the message was ultimately removed from the Gmail Server at which time the deleted message would then be reflected in PP (as deleted) hence at that point not display in the PP Inbox (i.e. what you get in PP all depends upon what is reflected on the Gmail Server and this depends upon the Gmail Client used to delete the message in this case)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Tahtu

Post by Tahtu »

I deleted the message from my smartphone. After PP didn't remove it from the message list, I checked the Inbox folder of GMail via web browser - the mail was no longer inside the Inbox folder - it was inside the Trash folder.

So PP didn't find out, that I deleted the message from the Inbox folder of GMail or didn't remove it from the message list, I believe.

My mail client of my smartphone has an option, if the remove deleted mails should stay inside the message list, or if it should be removed from it within the next synchronization. I don't like that options, but maybe PP doesn't remove the message from the message list, since it doesn't detect, that I removed them from the Inbox remote folder?

(I'm using GMail via IMAP on both clients.)

PS
I changed the "read/unread" status of a mail from the GMail web server and after this, I refreshed the message list of PP. The change was applied as well.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I just tested this with a gmail account (deleted a message via webbrowser), and PP removed the message within a few seconds.

Coincidentally, I did find an issue earlier today that might be related to this. ie. it's possible for PP to skip *missing* messages and PP may not update the list until it has reason to do a full email check (ie. a new email, the account needs to be reconnected, or you perform a "check mail" via right-click on the account). So if you see it happen again, try the 3rd option (right-click on the account and select "check mail") and see if that updates the list.