After last Avast update POP Peeper (4.5.3) stop to work!

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
HCsns

After last Avast update POP Peeper (4.5.3) stop to work!

Post by HCsns »

Hi all,

After last Avast update POP Peeper (4.5.3) stopped to work.
The Error Overview show the same error for all accounts:
SSL connection failed - certificate failed: self signed certificate in certificate chain [2]

Anyone is facing the same problem?
HCsns

Re: After last Avast update POP Peeper (4.5.3) stop to work!

Post by HCsns »

--- UPDATE --
By disable the Mail Shield in Avast, POP Peeper works again!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Good to hear POP Peeper is working again =D>

You may not want to bother with this (the Avast "Mail Shield" can be troublesome and difficult to work with).

That said, you could try disabling some of the "Mail Shield" options that cause the issues you were having and perhaps still keep some of the other protection the Avast "Mail Shield" offers:
Disable (uncheck) the option pointed out above may be enough to avoid the issue with POP Peeper
Disable (uncheck) the option pointed out above may be enough to avoid the issue with POP Peeper
I wouldn't take too much time on this if trying other options doesn't help in the end (the last time I used Avast, well over 4 years ago, I don't recall any ability to set "exceptions" in the "Mail Shield" so this may be the limit to which you can test to see if it is possible to leave some of the "Mail Shield" protection at your disposal).

You can always go back to disabling the entire "Mail Shield" if problems arise with POP Peeper as a result of trying various options.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You could also add an exception into POP Peeper for your mail server(s), BUT I do NOT recommend doing this as it's probably more drastic to your overall security than disabling your AV email scanning (which, for email, is mostly redundant). Chances are, it's probably a temporary problem and Avast may need to release an update to fix it.
mjs

Post by mjs »

This certainly isn't the first time that Avast has had difficulties with their "Mail Shield" over the years. I can recall at least 2-3 times when Avast had (similar) "Mail Shield" issues during the 12 years or so I had been using Avast that would ultimately be disposed of by way of ensuing Avast builds that in the meantime was typically dealt with by disabling the "Mail Shield" or parts thereof (albeit not necessarily involving POP Peeper in any of the previous cases).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers