Power Usage Very High Causing Freezing Of POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bschwantz

Power Usage Very High Causing Freezing Of POP Peeper

Post by bschwantz »

This past couple of weeks, POP Peeper is freezing. Windows 10 is responsive. But unable to access POP Peeper. Providing screen shot of task manager and computer properties. What could be causing this to happen. Have many email accounts checking every 10 minutes.
Task Manager.GIF
Computer Properties.GIF
Computer Properties.GIF (11.46 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Power Usage Very High Causing Freezing Of POP Peeper

Post by Jeff »

Is it behaving erratic from the moment it's loaded or does it take a while?
If you're able to access the main window when PP first starts, how many total messages do you have?

The first thought that comes to mind is that you may have a corrupt database; I've seen this kind of behavior reported due to that. So you can try deleting the message databases and allow PP to re-sync. You can potentially lose some information from this (e.g. reply-to status, user flags), but any messages listed by PP before should still be on the server and will re-sync after a check mail.

Here's how to delete databases; and you may want to consider backing up the files first, just as a precaution:

1) If you can access POP Peeper --
main menu: Tools / Options; select the "Storage" page; double-click on the text "Data Path" (this opens File Explorer to the relevant path)

If you cannot access POP Peeper, then you'll need to access the path manually. The default location for the data path is:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

2) EXIT POP Peeper

3) In File Explorer from step #1, you'll see a sub-folder for each of your accounts. Each sub-folder contains a file named data.db. This is the file that you want to backup & delete. To delete them, I would simply search for data.db (but this doesn't really work if you want to backup the files), and delete the results. As an easy backup, you could just make a copy of the parent folder (...\Roaming\POP Peeper\)

4) Restart POP Peeper

Let us know if that helps the situation or not.
bschwantz

Post by bschwantz »

I have backed up the roaming folder. Removed all *.db files. Started POP Peeper up. Whether the UI is running or not, the CPU usage is below 10% and the power usage is very high. Any other ideas? I have attached the accounts being monitored and the message counts.
Message Counts.GIF
bschwantz

Post by bschwantz »

When exiting POP Peeper, should it not exit completely. Noticed in Task Manager, upon exiting, it was still running with no CPU usage and still consuming memory. When doing backup, 7zip complained files were locked. Had to end task from Task Manager. Exited again and noticed it still did not exit and release resources.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If you check the CPU usage and it's not "0%" when PP's status bar is not doing anything (ie. when it's "X minutes remaining..." like in your screenshot above), then there's definitely something wrong.

If it's not the message databases, then there's a couple other possibilities:
1) A corrupt program file. Try downloading and re-installing (do not use an existing download file as it's possible the problem lies there):
https://www.esumsoft.com/download/

2) A corrupt settings (ini) file. I see you have a lot of accounts so I understand "starting over" wouldn't be ideal. Here's what you can do:
a) Access the ini file by going to PP main menu: Tools / Options / Storage; double-click the text "Ini Location" (file explorer opens and selects the file)
b) Exit PP (end task if necessary)
c) Make a personal backup of the ini file
d) Edit the ini file with a text editor
e) Search for: admin =, if it's not found, then that's fine, do a search for [POP PEEPER] instead.
f) If admin = is found, then you want to KEEP this line. You'll note that the [POP PEEPER] line should be a few lines above this.
In either case, you want to delete everything BELOW [POP PEEPER] EXCEPT for the line containing admin =

This will delete all your settings, except for accounts (and their specific settings). If the corruption is within that part of the file, then that should fix it. Alternatively to deleting all the settings, you could manually look through the file and see if there are any strange characters. Strange characters are anything that is not letters or numbers (be aware that some values in the ini file will have a long string of letters and numbers -- this is normal and you should not remove this data). I would only recommend this route if you understand what I'm talking about, but keep in mind -- you do have a backup assuming you followed step #1 above.

g) Save the ini file
h) Restart PP and hope this works... you can expect to see the startup wizard since all your settings are gone, but once you get back to the main window, you should have all your accounts and messages.

As a last resort, you can send the ini file to me (support at esumsoft dot com) and I'll examine it and see if it can be repaired. HOWEVER, keep in mind that the ini file does contain personal information (such as the login/password for your email accounts) but, also, I'm going to be out of town so I won't be able to do this until next week (unless you can send the file within the next few hours).