Emails Deleted From Microsoft Outlook Still Display In POP Peeper

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Protocol

Emails Deleted From Microsoft Outlook Still Display In POP Peeper

Post by Protocol »

I have noticed lately that if I delete an email from Microsoft Outlook that they still sometimes display in the POP Peeper inbox.
Is there any obvious reason for this?
mjs

Re: Emails Deleted From Microsoft Outlook Still Display In POP Peeper

Post by mjs »

Deleted messages might possibly continue display in the POP Peeper Inbox for a while depending upon if/when POP Peeper does a Mail Check on the relevant account that had the message deleted (or "IDLE/Push" has occurred for "IMAP" accounts). To elaborate on the latter point, in the event a POP Peeper account is using IMAP with "IDLE/Push" enabled then assuming the respective account supports "IDLE/Push" the POP Peeper Inbox will ultimately reflect, in a timely manner, what messages reside on the respective accounts "Server".

In any case (keeping it simple), it is important to know (aside from "IMAP") that as of the time a message has been deleted on-line (at which time the message no longer resides on that respective accounts "Server") then that specific deleted message will no longer display in the POP Peeper Inbox for that respective account subsequent to the time a POP Peeper Mail Check has been completed for that respective account (assuming of course no POP Peeper errors have occurred).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

The emails that remain in POP Peeper after deleting them from Outlook never disappear, even after numerous mail checks.
I just simply delete them from POP Peeper.

I don't see it as a big issue. It's just a minor annoyance that I thought I would report.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I assume by "Microsoft Outlook" you're referring to the program and not the web interface (outlook.com) -- check to make sure that Outlook is set to delete mail immediately. It's possible that Outlook is setup to delete mail after 7 days.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Yes, Jeff.

Microsoft Outlook, the program.
Yes, when I delete from Microsoft Outlook, it deletes immediately.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If you right-click on the account and select "check mail" do the deleted messages disappear? If so, then this may be a known issue that should be fixed in the next version (it has to do with idling accounts).
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:53 pm If you right-click on the account and select "check mail" do the deleted messages disappear? If so, then this may be a known issue that should be fixed in the next version (it has to do with idling accounts).
Next time it happens, I'll do that and see if the email disappears.
etienne53

Post by etienne53 »

I'm having the same problem. I can delete messages from Outlook.com, go to Pop Peeper, hit the "Check Mail" button, and nothing changes. I have to shut down and restart Pop Peeper to make it stop showing messages I've deleted in Outlook.com. This is not an issue with GMail.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi etienne53,

What protocol ("Server type") are you using for the Gmail account(s)? (IMAP, POP3, etc.)

If you're using IMAP, have you tried doing a "Check mail" via a right-click on the account(s) (in the accounts pane) to see if doing this gets the deleted message(s) removed from the PP Inbox.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
burtp

Post by burtp »

Jeff, I've noticed the same problem with PP and Hotmail / Outlook.com accounts which I have set up as IMAP, Idle/Push turned on. They have worked fine for a very long time. Now, if I delete or move an email to a folder via the web interface at outlook.com or Windows 10 Mail they are not removed from the PP listing in a reasonable time. Doing an all accounts Check Mail / Ctrl+M does not fix the problem, even if it's done several times. Right clicking on a specific email account and selecting Check Mail does fix the problem. Also, if you wait until a new mail arrives in the particular email account the deleted mail is removed from the PP list. Hope this helps
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thank you, burtp, for all of the detailed information you have provided. Image

Your salient point here:
burtp wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:06 pm ... Right clicking on a specific email account and selecting Check Mail does fix the problem....
Comports with what Jeff has previously posted in this topic (referenced below) - which "may be a known issue that should be fixed in the next version".
Jeff wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:53 pm If you right-click on the account and select "check mail" do the deleted messages disappear? If so, then this may be a known issue that should be fixed in the next version (it has to do with idling accounts).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the details, burtp. This does match what the fix is intended to address. The next version is in the process of being released so probably either this week or next week for the early release channel (Tools / PPtweaker / Troubleshooting).
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I can confirm that this makes it disappear.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks. As mentioned, this should be fixed in v5.4.2; and -- as of today -- it is available in the early release which is available to POP Peeper Pro users. If you have Pro, go to main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / troubleshooting to enable it. Then go to main menu: help / about and press "check version" to force it to check. This version may not roll out to the public for a couple weeks since next week is a holiday.
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

Jeff wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:44 pm Thanks. As mentioned, this should be fixed in v5.4.2; and -- as of today -- it is available in the early release which is available to POP Peeper Pro users. If you have Pro, go to main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / troubleshooting to enable it. Then go to main menu: help / about and press "check version" to force it to check. This version may not roll out to the public for a couple weeks since next week is a holiday.
I guess you mean Opt Into Early Release / Beta Updates (Requires PRO - Auto-Update Only).

Edit 1: OK. POP Peeper updated, but I'm getting errors with the SSL update. 👍

Edit 2: OK. I just updated SSL manually. 👍
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The SSL update problem was specific to the beta channel; it has been fixed.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Yep, (beta) multiple updates work seamlessly now =D> (just now confirmed on my Win7 machine, Jeff).

Edit: the "Check Version" button worked to get the beta SSL update completed on my other machine that had previously failed before the beta update fix was applied.
Last edited by mjs on Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add additional "Edit" comments
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

I'm sorry to say that this problem is now worse than before.
Prior to the upgrade to 5.4.2, this problem only occurred occasionally.
Now all my emails Outlook emails are stuck in the POP Peeper inbox.

Edit 1: I did another Check Mail, and they're now gone.
I'll monitor the situation.

Edit 2: There is something odd going on. I sent a test email to my email account, and although it has been sitting in my Microsoft Outlook inbox for quite a few minutes, it's not displaying in POP Peeper.

Edit 3: It's now displaying in the Inbox, but the tray icon is showing empty.

There is definitely a problem with this version. I've done a few tests, and this odd behaviour is pretty consistent. The previous version problems were only occasional.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, there does seem to be something not working as expected. As mentioned in my Oct 21 post, I alluded to the fact that this was a "known issue" but the original report was with Yahoo (not that these issues are particular to the type of server, but it may be the way that the particular servers implement certain things). But it seems that the underlying issues may not have been as similar as I thought.

I'll have to dive into this further to see what the problem is. I've set a reminder to look at it tomorrow morning, but I can't promise anything. Regardless, I'll post back here when I have more info.

In the meantime, if you think v5.4.2 is worse, you can go back to v5.4.1 by re-installing it here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/download/
Protocol

Post by Protocol »

No problem, Jeff.
Take your time.

I've gone back to v5.4.1 for now. It's not such a big issue in this version.