'Failed to verify after EHLO'

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
trev19

'Failed to verify after EHLO'

Post by trev19 »

I am getting this message whenever I try and send a hotmail email through PP.

I can receive emails, I can send via non-hotmail accounts through Poppeeper, and I can send using my hotmail accounts direct through Outlook.

I am using v 5.4.1.0, and all other modules are showing as updated.

Send option is SMTP; SMPT server is smtp.office365.com; server requires authorisation is ticked.

All these accounts were working fine until earlier today. Help please!
trev19

Re: 'Failed to verify after EHLO'

Post by trev19 »

When I test the servers, I get 2 options, as above and 'mail.hotmail.co.uk,' and both show as 'unknown host'.

However on a 2nd hotmail account, the former still returned 'unknown host' the latter returned 'valid'.

Totally baffled!

The one that works is a hotmail.com one; the other is hotmail.co.uk.
Using Windows 7.

It appears that the hotmail.co.uk servers may have been taken down.
mjs

Post by mjs »

You might want to first look at the Emails thru microsoft topic that may be of help.

It appears you are using Windows 7 - POP Peeper v5 (and probably v4) supports TLS v1.2 (for POP3/IMAP). It is my understanding that TLS 1.2 is not enabled by default in Windows 7, so in order to set Oauth2 in your POP Peeper account(s) you may need to make sure your Windows does have TLS 1.2 enabled:
TLS 1.2.png
as discussed in the link above.

If your issues persist further, then you might want to try the protocol settings that are working for me with my Hotmail accounts regarding SMTP (to see if this might get you better results for your Outgoing "Send Mail" Server):
Microsoft SMTP settings.png
Microsoft SMTP settings.png (4.87 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
Btw, on a side note, my incoming Server ("General" tab) is set to the following: imap.outlook.com using SSL/TLS, Port 993.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
trev19

Post by trev19 »

Many thanks for that......but...
1) Have checked and TLS 1.2 is ticked. Plus I have had no problems using Oauth2.

I have tried using your settings. At first this looked promising, as I added the server, did the server check, and yep it found it no trouble.
Tried to send an email - same message.

Can I ask if your hotmail accounts are .com or .co.uk ?
My .com ones are working fine; it's just the .co.uk ones that will not send an email....

Oh -I'm not new to Poppeeper, being using it for years, just forgot my old log-in!
mjs

Post by mjs »

trev19 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:34 pm Can I ask if your hotmail accounts are .com or .co.uk ?
My .com ones are working fine; it's just the .co.uk ones that will not send an email....
Oh, so that's it - all of my Hotmail accounts are ".com" -- try just using the ".com" for all accounts (especially considering those are the accounts that are all working for you), instead of ".co.uk" - just curious, why have you been using ".co.uk" for some of your accounts (instead of ".com" that works)?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

trev19 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:34 pm Oh -I'm not new to Poppeeper, being using it for years, just forgot my old log-in!
If you want to get back to your old log-in - Jeff should probably be able to find that for you -- however he will be spending less time on the forum during the holidays up until the end of the year as of today (so maybe remind him after the New Year).
trev19

Post by trev19 »

I use .co.uk because I got it when it first came out, so was able to get it in my name. You can't get that anymore!
That dates me lol!

And of course if you suddenly start emailing people, in a different email, saying 'it's me, honest', some people may not unreasonably be a little unsure!

The others are just what came up when I did a new account for some reason. Back in the day, .co.uk was what you got.

And thanks but no need for old log-in, this one seems to do just as well!
trev19

Post by trev19 »

Just a bump in case Jeff is back, as this problem remains....
mjs

Post by mjs »

trev19 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:34 pm ... My .com ones are working fine; it's just the .co.uk ones that will not send an email....
Hi trev19, You had posted the above, that is all of your accounts using ".com" are working...

So then the accounts you changed from using ".co.uk" to ".com" still do not work (after making the change) - is that it?

And the accounts that were ".com" before (that you didn't change but were working) are all still working?

Have you compared all of the settings of the accounts that do work to the accounts that do not? And are all the settings exactly the same?
trev19

Post by trev19 »

No - it isn't possible just to change accounts from .co.uk to .com
They are different email addresses. Somebody else already has the .com ones.

The accounts I have that are .com work fine, it's only the .co.uk ones that don't.

The .co.uk ones used a separate server, which is now showing as 'unknown'. They will not work if you try and put the .com server for them.
It appears that the .co.uk servers may have been taken down - no doubt as part of Microsoft's efforts to enhance my customer experience...
mjs

Post by mjs »

trev19 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:42 am ... Somebody else already has the .com ones.
I'm not surprised the ".com" domains are already used.

To be clear you had been successfully using the "hotmail.co.uk" domain for some of your accounts in POP Peeper, is that correct?

So then these accounts have been working in POP Peeper up until when (that is, at what point in time did they stop working in POP Peeper?) ?

The reason I'm asking is because as far, as what I can find on this topic, the conversations are quit dated (see links further down).

FWIW, when doing a ping to see if the "hotmail.co.uk" domain is active (note that I get a successful "Reply" each time) it appears to be so (example of "hotmail.com" domain along with "hotmail.co.uk", both getting a "Reply" each time, and just "co.uk" that results in "Reply" failures every time, so isn't active. So I'm assuming the domain's you are referencing that have the issues are "hotmail.co.uk" and interestingly enough are apparently working, based on what I get pinging the server).

Code: Select all

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.19044.2364]
(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike>ping hotmail.com

Pinging hotmail.com [204.79.197.212] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 204.79.197.212: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=115
Reply from 204.79.197.212: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=115
Reply from 204.79.197.212: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=115
Reply from 204.79.197.212: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=115

Ping statistics for 204.79.197.212:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

C:\Users\Mike>ping hotmail.co.uk

Pinging hotmail.co.uk [204.79.197.208] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 204.79.197.208: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=115
Reply from 204.79.197.208: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=115
Reply from 204.79.197.208: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=115
Reply from 204.79.197.208: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=115

Ping statistics for 204.79.197.208:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 27ms, Maximum = 28ms, Average = 27ms

C:\Users\Mike>ping co.uk
Ping request could not find host co.uk. Please check the name and try again.

C:\Users\Mike>
So it would appear that the "hotmail.co.uk" domain is responsive (we get "Reply" successfully each time), perhaps suggesting that to get the account to work would be a matter of settings (i.e. protocol) of some kind.

On to what I can find on the web:
I found this (rather dated, 2014) communication on MS site: can i use outlook.com and hotmail.co.uk interchangeably?

I also found this (rather dated, 3/20/2014) communication on Microsoft site:
Microsoft Community: Why does @hotmail.co.uk or any other UK specific account domains no longer available? Which basically says: "... available domains are now dependent on the user's location and country. Also, the domains are now limited since Hotmail has transitioned to Outlook.com." (whatever that means.... :|)

Then there's this site: List of Microsoft domainsthat shows "microsoft.co.uk" domain launch date was August 1996 worldwide (presumably now limited to "user's location and country" based on both of the previous links above).

There is also this: hotmail.com v hotmail.co.uk.

And also this: @hotmail.co.uk.

I'm not having much luck finding any more recent comments on the specific topic concerning server "hotmail.co.uk" protocol settings. :(

To clarify, what are your settings for these accounts in POP Peeper?

Incoming (IMAP settings):
Server: imap-mail.outlook.com
Port: 993
Security: SSL
Login-name: your-email@hotmail.co.uk
Password: your Hotmail.co.uk password

Outgoing (SMTP settings):
Server: smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port: 587
Security: TLS

More specifically, are the above protocol settings what do not work for you in POP Peeper?

I presume you can successfully log-in to access your "hotmail.co.uk" accounts on the web (using the Internet)?
trev19

Post by trev19 »

Firstly - yes, these accounts were working fine until the day of my first post. So whatever was going on in 2014 I think we can say isn't the cause.

Secondly, I'm not surprised you are finding the hotmail.co.uk is active, as I can indeed use it fully through the Outlook site.

Clearly something has changed.....

My settings are:
Incoming:
IMAP SSL/TLS
outlook.office365.com
Port 993

This works fine.

Outgoing:
SMTP STARTTLS
smtp-mail.outlook.com
Port 587

This is what was working. I have tried the SSL/TLS option, but that does makes no difference.
When I check the servers, both hotmail .uk ones listed (mail.hotmail, and smtp.hotmail) report 'unknown host'.
These are the ones that were previously being used.

And yes - I have tried the specific setting you listed, and it does not work. The server shows as valid, but the .co.uk accounts appear unable to use it. I have tried this both with the STARTTLS setting previously used, and the TLS setting in your example.

What I can do is send you a PM with the details of a different .co.uk account which I never really use, and you can try it for yourself if you would like?
mjs

Post by mjs »

If the account doesn't have any sensitive info - I'll be happy to check it out if you want to PM me regarding the account details (I've never used a hotmail.co.uk but it's worth a try...).
mjs

Post by mjs »

I'll be sending you a PM of settings that worked for me (screen-shots) to send and receive messages using your account.

PM sent as of now.
Last edited by mjs on Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Updated to add last comment line
mjs

Post by mjs »

You should see these four messages (date/time stamped as of the time when they were tested) in your account (that I added to my POP Peeper app), including my two test messages and the typical (2) MS messages that would be expected under these circumstances:
Example four messages in your account including two test messages and the usual (2) MS messages. (Click on screen-shot to enlarge for better viewing, back-page browser to return to forum topic)
Example four messages in your account including two test messages and the usual (2) MS messages. (Click on screen-shot to enlarge for better viewing, back-page browser to return to forum topic)
trev19

Post by trev19 »

Well for anyone following this at some point...... none of that worked.
I did get the messages sent to the account as usual... but unable to send out from here.

Which seems to narrow the problem down to a combination of using a hotmail.co.uk address with Windows 7.
Possibly related to the changes Microsoft announced for the beginning of this month....

(In addition I tried turning off the firewall just in case, still no joy).
mjs

Post by mjs »

OK, I'm now on Windows 7 and added your account (w/out changing any settings from the default settings POP Peeper used) and was able to both send/receive using your "hotmail.co.uk" account without any issues of any kind.

Screen-shots:
1) Messages in PP Inbox (you should be able to see these same messages on your end in your account as well):
Messages tested were retrieved w/out any problems in POP Peeper (click on screen-shot to enlarge for improved readability, use browser back-arrow to return to forum topic)
Messages tested were retrieved w/out any problems in POP Peeper (click on screen-shot to enlarge for improved readability, use browser back-arrow to return to forum topic)
2) Please take a look at these settings.
2a) Incoming:
Make a note that I am using "Password" option (explained in more detail below)
Make a note that I am using "Password" option (explained in more detail below)
(see comments below regarding the "Password" option pointed out in screen-shot)
2b) Outgoing:
Nothing unusual here.
Nothing unusual here.
For 2a - I am using the "Password" option because I cannot authenticate your account myself because it requires a code sent to an alternate email account of yours that I do not have access to.

So all I did was to not authenticate and use the "Password" option (pointed out in the screen-shot above) which requires your password be entered in the Password setting (directly across from "Login name" in the Incoming settings).

Make sure your settings are the same as mine.

You have posted in this topic above that you do have "Use TLS 1.2" enabled - so I can't think of anything else other than to confirm the settings in the above screen-shots.

You mentioned disabling your Firewall software (that didn't help).

What Firewall do you use?
What Antivirus (AV) software do you use? (if you are using Avast - there is more to just disabling the Email Shield).
What other security software do you use (i.e. other than AV & Firewall)?

Another question - at the time this issue started (when you first posted the issue) - can you think of any changes or additions you made to your Windows 7 machine (i.e. especially in regards to any security software)?
mjs

Post by mjs »

trev19 wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 4:41 am ... Which seems to narrow the problem down to a combination of using a hotmail.co.uk address with Windows 7.
Possibly related to the changes Microsoft announced for the beginning of this month....

(In addition I tried turning off the firewall just in case, still no joy).
1) No problem on my end using Windows 7
2) What "changes announced for the beginning of this month" are you speaking of?
3) As I mentioned previously, can you think of any possible software (security) updates or changes you have made that perhaps coincides with when your email account issue started?
The below points probably won't help - but maybe worth a try at this point....
4) Have you tried stopping/restarting (using tray-icon right-click "exit") PP?
5) Have you tried rebooting your Win7 machine? (this might clear out some kind of cache/glitch issue)
6) Have you tried setting up an additional (new) duplicate account in PP (for testing)?
trev19

Post by trev19 »

Right...

2)The 'Emails thru microsoft 'forum post that you directed me to.
3) None that I've made. Of course these things update themselves.... but as mentioned I tried switching off the firewall and made no difference.
4) Yep. Closed PP and restarted it - no difference.
5) If by 'rebooting' you mean switching it off and on - yep, every day.
6) Yep - tried a duplicate account. No go either.

I have another PC on Windows 10. This has exactly the same settings as the other one. It works fine.

In theory, that leaves windows 7/hotmail.co.uk as the issue. Except it works for you on Windows 7.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Addressing two of your replies 2) regarding my question: What "changes announced for the beginning of this month" are you speaking of? and 5) regarding my question: "Have you tried rebooting your Win7 machine? (this might clear out some kind of cache/glitch issue)"

2)The 'Emails thru microsoft 'forum post that you directed me to.
The link you are referring to was in my initial post regarding TLS 1.2
On that subject (in the topic linked) Jeff stated: "POP Peeper already supports TLS v1.2 (for POP3/IMAP) via the current version of OpenSSL." In as much as you have said your Windows 7 has TLS 1.2 enabled - this should not be an issue (as far as I'm aware) considering that you are using POP Peeper v5.4.1.0).

5) If by 'rebooting' you mean switching it off and on - yep, every day.
What I mean is a shutdown/boot-up of Windows 7 from here (which may be what your doing however generally speaking, rebooting every day is actually quit often [not typical]):
You can do a "cold" shutdown (i.e. not a "restart" which can sometimes be more effective clearing out stuff) from here and then after Windows is shutdown do a boot-up of Windows (by turning the Win7 machine on).
You can do a "cold" shutdown (i.e. not a "restart" which can sometimes be more effective clearing out stuff) from here and then after Windows is shutdown do a boot-up of Windows (by turning the Win7 machine on).