Possible to set Pop Peeper to open URLs in other than default browser?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
wowtip

Possible to set Pop Peeper to open URLs in other than default browser?

Post by wowtip »

Hi,

As subject says - Is it possible to set Pop Peeper to open URLs in other than default browser?

Use case:
I have a "work" browser with a number of tabs I use for work related tasks.
Opening links from Pop Peeper cause personal/unrelated pages to get mixed in with work related stuff.
Is it somehow possible to set Pop Peeper to send links to a different browser / executable?

Regards,
Johan
mjs

Re: Possible to set Pop Peeper to open URLs in other than default browser?

Post by mjs »

From the main menu: go to "Tools" > "PPtweaker..." then select "Misc2" and look toward the bottom of the interface for the settings to use for what you want to do. Be sure to enter another browser (path) of choice (than your default) in the "Browser to launch URL's" entry box to accomplish your goal (you may want to use the ellipsis (button to the right of the relevant entry box) to help navigate to the location [path] of the browser you prefer to [select] use). The default value for this option is "blank" (empty).

Notice when this box is blank the "default" browser is used.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
wowtip

Post by wowtip »

Thank you!

I thought I went through all settings 3x before posting, not sure how I missed it :roll:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To extend upon the capability to set a different browser, another option is to use your preferred browser, but provide the command-line (in the "browser to launch URLs" mentioned by mjs) so that it will always open a new window.

The command-line will be different for each browser, but for Firefox:
"h:\Utility\Mozilla\Firefox7\firefox.exe" -new-window
(and your path to firefox.exe will be different, but it's the -new-window parameter that makes this work).

For chrome, the parameter may be --new-window (note 2 dashes at the start); that's what I found on the interwebs but haven't tested it.
wowtip

Post by wowtip »

Good idea. Right now I use Vivaldi for work and Firefox with sync for personal things, which works fine (also easy to see in taskbar what is what...), but might come in handy in the future!

And, let me say thanks a lot for your work on Pop Peeper, it is probably the app I miss the most when working on Linux machines. Pop Peeper and Slickrun. Most other things can be substituted.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I always like to check out other programs recommended by PP users... I have to admit, slickrun looks somewhat similar to a program I've written for personal use (and perhaps global use in the future). They take a slightly different approach, but the part about "typing 2 or 3 characters" is noteworthy.
wowtip

Post by wowtip »

Jeff wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:59 pm I always like to check out other programs recommended by PP users... I have to admit, slickrun looks somewhat similar to a program I've written for personal use (and perhaps global use in the future). They take a slightly different approach, but the part about "typing 2 or 3 characters" is noteworthy.
Slickrun has a couple of "hidden" features that makes it very powerful
  1. You can easily add new "magic words" (shortcuts) by just typing "add #shortcut name#" and then using eydropper tool visually select the executable
    • Very quick
    • No need to browse or type in a search path you might not remember, or need to look up
  2. You can add slash "/" separators and tab complete
    • If you want to, you can have 8 different magic words for firefox profiles and start the desired one by using the slash delimiter
    • examples: firefox/wowtip, firefox/kent, firefox/ (firefox - P wowtip)
    • Then you just type fir...[tab]w to select firefox/wowtip and start using that profile
  3. You can add a popup for input paramerters using $w$ or $i$, like if you want to make a magic word for duckduckgo you would set parameter to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=$w$ and it would pop up an input box where you enter search term
  4. @multi@ keywords - where one magic word execute several other magic words, can even be set with delays if needed. Great for opening up a specified set of applications and folders for a specific task
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Mine (internally currently called QuickLauncher) is more of a pre-set list of shortcuts, as opposed to "magic words" that can take variables. Shortcuts can be added via drag&drop (or manually). As you type, it performs a search in real-time to narrow down the results and shows you the current matches (search results are scored so that the most likely expected result is on top). Then you press <enter> to run the currently selected shortcut. And while it's certainly targeted for quick access to "keyboard people", it can also be organized and browsed, so if I type in (or navigate to) "games" I can see my collection of games and decide what I feel like playing.

I had thought about the ability to enter search or text to translate, but that's not something which would make it into "v1.0" :)
wowtip

Post by wowtip »

Really interested to see what you would make of the concept, if you decide to publish... :)

If you want a quick intro / inspiration:

Eric's recent blog post about Slickrun - https://textslashplain.com/2023/01/12/slickrun/
Random user walking through basic usage - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQ4JDS0nSg

Best regards,
w